Photo

"pneumatic Door Closer" As A Plunger Tube?

Seems simple.. not sure though.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Okay, so im sure we've all seen a door closer before.

This is the kind i mean.
http://ecx.images-am...YZL._SL500_.jpg

I got a tip once to take the spring out of one and use it in a gun, but now im thinking that this would make a pretty good plunger tube + plunger rod + spring combo. It just needs a barrel, trigger catch (along with a notch for the catch to well..catch, on the rod), and a trigger system. Has this ever been done before? I tried searching but nothing came up.

Also if this has been done, are the results good?
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#2 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

In my vast adventures with my screen door, I have gained great wisdom and power. Also, they make doors close slowly, and that's not really the idea you would want in a homemade plunger tube. Unless this is a type of closer I've never seen, or you have some internal changes planned first.

#3 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

I don't know about that one, but a bike pump would make a great plunger and plunger tube replacement. Think about it, it has to be airtight up to 50+ psi; far more than we need.

I've never heard of anyone using one of those, and as far as I know they don't even have a spring. When you open the door, it pulls the plunger out, and then when you go to close the door it slowly lets the air out, allowing the door to close slowly. Based on that, I doubt that it would be a good plunger/tube replacement, because as I said it's designed to let air out. Not keep it in and channel it, like we need.
Teehee.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

Been discussed before.
http://nerfhaven.com...topic=10588&hl=
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

In my vast adventures with my screen door, I have gained great wisdom and power. Also, they make doors close slowly, and that's not really the idea you would want in a homemade plunger tube. Unless this is a type of closer I've never seen, or you have some internal changes planned first.

The reason it closes so slowly (at least on mine) is because of a screw on the other end where a barrel would be ideal. Just unscrew it and you have complete and un-restricted airflow. Anyways i can always just drill a bigger hole in it if its too small. Trust me, this seems fool-proof.

I honestly just wanted to use this as a plunger tube in the NF + NF = Crossbow look-a-like someone made. But im not sure if the shells could hold up to this thing.

And to Split, yes, theres a spring in it. A pretty big one if im not mistaken.

I might just use the 2 tubes from the NFs, but i thought this would be much higher on the kick-ass scale.
Any suggestions..?
I beat my wife."

#6 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Yes, these contain a huge ass spring. I've put part of one of these springs in both my BBB and Daedalus, and get great ranges with both. In my humble opinion, however, it is easier to just remove the spring and use it in mods/homemades and make your own plunger tube. The spring I have fits great in 1" thinwall and could be used in the Longshot and the BBB(obviously).

#7 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Yes, these contain a huge ass spring. I've put part of one of these springs in both my BBB and Daedalus, and get great ranges with both. In my humble opinion, however, it is easier to just remove the spring and use it in mods/homemades and make your own plunger tube. The spring I have fits great in 1" thinwall and could be used in the Longshot and the BBB(obviously).

Sounds good to me, thanks for the suggestion.
How'd you cut it open? The tube, not the spring.
I beat my wife."

#8 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

It's totally doable. I just went about it the wrong way. I tried to add a trigger mech without opening the casing. Now that I've seen a door closer's creamy insides, I have a pretty good idea of how I would make a door closer gun. But I'm one of the few here who likes to work with aluminum, and I hate drawing up detailed plans, so I'll keep the details to myself until I have either a shiny new langley-bow (or as I like to call it, the L-Bow) or some more mod related injuries to share with you.

If you're determined to make the thing, here's my input: The spring is a beast. Find a way to make a sturdy catch before you screw around with this thing. Also, the plunger tube doesn't taper like in a nerf gun, so feel free to reverse the plunger configuration. If you retract the plunger, apply the little metal bit that catches it so the door stays open, and hack off the part with the air release valve completely, you can pull the plunger out, trim the tube, trim the spring, and pull out the plastic piece that the plunger rod passes through. Now you're left with a nice metal tube that's open at one end, and has a nice flange with a wide opening at the other end that will let lots of air though and still keep the plunger in. Oh, and keep some alcohol pads and Neosporen handy.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#9 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

I'll take your word for it, i'll definitly either just take the spring out and use that or use the closer as a whole.
I beat my wife."

#10 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Basically use a combination of hacksaw and hammer to cut off one of the ends of the tubes. From there, you should be able to pull it out. Its somewhere between 14" and 20" in length, so it will probably need to be cut for any blaster you put it in or build around it. My inspiration for using the spring actually came from Langley's thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users