How to do it?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Yeah so recently I was looking at the picture/mod thread, and on page 102 or 103 I saw the most beautiful big salvo by baghead. I messaged him on how to paint like that but no response was received. Does anyone know how to paint crackles like that or other painting textures?

Edit: Here's the link, scroll about halfway down. http://nerfhaven.com...arsenal&st=1515

Edited by NerfOnFier, 04 September 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#2 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Well, Since I do have exspereince painting wall and pictures with my father I think I could help you. I think that you could take a dry paper towel and dab it or brush it along the guns shells, I did that for a painting wounce and it made this really cool rippal effect. Try that, Not 100 percent sure if it would Work for a Nerf Gun, But its worth a shot (No pun intended).
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#3 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Interesting, i'm hoping baghead respondes. If you look at his big salvo, I personally think it's the coolest looking gun i've ever seen. I'd like to do the exact paintjob to my LnL. :lol:

#4 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Interesting, i'm hoping baghead respondes. If you look at his big salvo, I personally think it's the coolest looking gun i've ever seen. I'd like to do the exact paintjob to my LnL. :lol:

The paint Job is cool but I personally think that crossbows look much cooler.

NERFSTRONG #51

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

A crackle coat involves using two incompatible spray paints with one another, then sealing the result with clear coat.

If you want to produce other textures without having to add clear coat then you'll need some dry brush work, or a mask on the item you are painting.
Cheesecloth can be used to make a wood grain, rope netting used for wrapping a ham is used to make scale patterns, and so forth.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

I happen to have a crossbow as well that I may think about putting a paintjob like that on, but currently i'm interested in my LnL.

A crackle coat involves using two incompatible spray paints with one another, then sealing the result with clear coat.

If you want to produce other textures without having to add clear coat then you'll need some dry brush work, or a mask on the item you are painting.
Cheesecloth can be used to make a wood grain, rope netting used for wrapping a ham is used to make scale patterns, and so forth.

When you say two incompatible spray paints what do you mean? Like Krylon against another sort of paint, or like ingredients that are opposites?

#7 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

I happen to have a crossbow as well that I may think about putting a paintjob like that on, but currently i'm interested in my LnL.

When you say two incompatible spray paints what do you mean? Like Krylon against another sort of paint, or like ingredients that are opposites?

I actually don't actually own a crossbow. Im just oppsessed over them, Ive used a few and I loved them all.

EDIT: Sorry if that is off topic

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 04 September 2008 - 08:33 PM.

NERFSTRONG #51

#8 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

I remember him saying he got the crackle effect by spraying the next coat of spray paint when the one before wasn't completely dry. I'll see if I can find the link to that...
Edit: http://nerfhaven.com...Sicklefin&st=15
Scroll down to the bottom of his post with Sicklefin and the crackle paint job.

Edited by Retiate, 04 September 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#9 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I remember him saying he got the crackle effect by spraying the next coat of spray paint when the one before wasn't completely dry. I'll see if I can find the link to that...
Edit: http://nerfhaven.com...Sicklefin&st=15
Scroll down to the bottom of his post with Sicklefin and the crackle paint job.

Thank you very much, you may have just solved my problem. I think his paint jobs are the best out there, except every now and then I see very nice ones. His are consistent, and I hope this effect works on my guns. Now i'm wondering if he just made the actual crackles with tape or what?

#10 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

Now i'm wondering if he just made the actual crackles with tape or what?

The wet paint probably just showed through because the top coat couldn't stick to parts of it. At least, that would be my guess. I doubt any tape was used. Test it on a scrap piece of plastic first, though.

#11 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Here's what I do (or what I'm planning on doing), spray a color first (green or red for example) and put a good thick coat of clear coat over it. Then paint the main color (i.e. black) over the clear coat, and it will give you a rippling, lightning looking effect in whatever color the first paint was. The funny thing is I stumbled over this on accident. I'll have pictures in a jiffy.

EDIT: Here you are:

There kind of hard to see, but...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Maeric, 05 September 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#12 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

Now that's the kind of posts i'm looking for. Thanks.

Edit: Maeric, was the clear coat wet when you did the black?

Edited by NerfOnFier, 05 September 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#13 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

Nope. I let the first dry for about a half hour, the ClearCoat for an hour and then I applied the black. So it was all pretty much dry.

I also added another layer of clear coat over the black to protect it. After your done, let it sit a couple of days to make sure its completely dry, otherwise you'll get fingerprints on your gun, and they're permanent.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#14 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Okay thanks for the advice. :angry:
Edit: Remember though, I want to do the exact thing he did with the glow in the dark paint. Would that be considered the clear coat?

Edited by NerfOnFier, 06 September 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#15 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

If you use primer while it's wet put on paint and it should ae a crackle effect it worked with auto primer and metalic paint.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#16 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

In my experience, just spraying one color in Krylon Fusion paint, letting it dry, then spraying another layer of differently colored paint is enough to make a crackle effect. Its horribly annoying if you are repainting a nerf gun with Krylon and you don't completely sand off the previous paint. It is also part of the reason one half of the shell of my Xbow looks like crap as of now.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#17 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Longshot - Can you post pictures?

Salmon - I understand making a crossbow look like crap. I was an idiot when I painted it. My first crossbow I painted crappily so I tried smearing off the paint with paper towel. Not a smart idea. :lol: But I got over it.

#18 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

Um... I don't think so. I don't know exactly what he did so that the glow in the dark showed through, but if you use the glow in dark for the undercoat, you should get a lightning looking glow in the dark.

This is what I used:

Red: (This is where you should substitute the glow in the dark.)
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Satin Cherry Red

Black:
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Ultra-Flat Black

Clear coat:
http://www.rustoleum...uct.asp?pid=166

#19 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

The Glow in the dark was a top-coat of a different brand from the rest of the paintjob...it's part of what made it crackle like it did... and I can tell you now... It was a Happy Accident.

Seriously....I've been meaning to post in this thread for a wile...but I've been busy...in fact i shouldn't be doing this now...but i can't stand watching it spiral further into speculation....

Ok... so where was I... yes now I remember...

Crackle Effect... what a cool way to do a paintjob right? yes, yes it is...

is it an easy way to do one? Yes, and No...

Yes, because half the time if it works it does it really fast and you didn't plan for it... but gives you something cool...

No...because in my case...every time I've ever gotten the crackle finish...it was to an extent on accident.

now... I should mention that when mixing brands or simply working in questionable weather(extreme hot or cold) I strongly suggest doing a test spray on something other than your gun... or you may wind up not getting the results you wanted.

So far the way I describe in the Sicklefin thead is the closest way to force a crackle effect...spray a fairly thick coat of one paint...then spray a thinner coat of a faster drying paint on top of it... if all goes well you get something like this:
Posted Image
^yes, that is my tape dispenser... and yes..it's rad...I know...

moving on... I've had a crackle effect happen In Both Extreme Heat (105+ degrees) and for my area pretty darn cold temps (somewhere below 40 i think...) and both times it wasn't what I originally planned...(but because I was testing the reaction of the paints on something else... I then took advantage of the conditions...

the most recent one, the PJ in question happened as a chemical reaction between brands of paint... the colors of the gun were done with Rust-oleum's Painters' touch... and the topcoat of glow paint and the clearcoat were both by krylon... and well... it just kinda "happened" as you can sort of tell originally the Teal/lime is in stripes... I then figured I'd just throw some glow on top (nearly transparent...) but that's when It got all crazy go nuts. the other problem with this method is that if you don't give it ample time to dry...or sometimes even when you do.. what happens is that part of the paint on the lower layers doesn't completely dry out... kinda makes the whole gun feel weird and you're pj won't last.....I found one way to counter that was to prick little holes in any clearly thick parts of the paint with a needle and also...I have a heat gun...which I put to use regularly in my mods... but you can typically get away with using something like a hair dryer....to apply extra heat to parts that seem to not be drying...most of the time it works...sometimes is damages the gun...

yeah... so that's right... it was a fluke... good luck trying to make it happen because you want it to... It's possible...but well... I wouldn't want to try to do it intentionally...

-Bags

Edited by baghead, 06 September 2008 - 11:10 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#20 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

One, bags thank you for responding. Two, holy fuck that is a beast paint job. 3, I'm not planning on trying this first on my gun, I'm either going to try it first on a dead shell or something else. This topic has been of much help to me, but the point of it wasn't only for bags crackle effect but for others as well. If anyone else has other texture comments please do.

#21 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Bags, you are my homeboy.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#22 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

Reading all of the posts in this topic made me think about paint jobs alone. I don't mean to change the subject but it's just stupid to make a whole new topic about this. I've always wondered how people paint pumps, and triggers, etc... Whenever i've tried to paint a trigger or pump, the paint always scratches off. Anyway to prevent this?

Edited by NerfOnFier, 06 September 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#23 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

Reading all of the posts in this topic made me think about paint jobs alone. I don't mean to change the subject but it's just stupid to make a whole new topic about this. I've always wondered how people paint pumps, and triggers, etc... Whenever i've tried to paint a trigger or pump, the paint always scratches off. Anyway to prevent this?

I can give you a quote from a really old post in the NHQ Definitive Paintjobs Thread that I posted quite some time ago...

Are the triggers painted? Do you mask the contact surfaces to prevent buildup?

Yes, the Triggers are painted, but I do Not Mask contact Areas, instead, Pre-painting, usually when I'm modding the gun, I take an x-acto or my dremmel (depending on the strength of the plastic, and shape of the area) to the trigger space and widen up the hole (making any problematic contact points a non-issue), also I use paints that are less prone to wear on my triggers, primarily Krylon Fusion, and I always use a Strong Clearcoat, like krylon Triple-thick Crystal Clear Gloss, and let it dry completely before I place it inside the blaster. The Widened Space and the Resilient paint together produce a viable way to paint triggers without trouble.

-bags

for other parts like pumps and plunger rods...if you really want to paint them and have it not come right off, you have to sand them pretty thoroughly (gives the paint a better chance of adhering to said parts) And expand the area that would be a "contact point," just like on a trigger and there's still a good chance that it won't last... but you're gonna have it stay longer than if you didn't do all of that... I just stopped worrying about it, as most of the time it doesn't take away from the overall PJ to have something like a trigger or plunger shaft that's still the stock color.

that's right guys... I can when needed still act as the "Nerf Paintjob Guru" I once was... one of these days I really will post that article I've promised for like 2 years... and threads like this one will become a thing of the past... not that this is a bad thread or anything...

-Bags

Edited by baghead, 06 September 2008 - 11:51 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#24 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

Ahh, I see. Well bags you've contributed much to this site and personally much help to me.

#25 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Sorry for the double post, but as you can see in this picture I am very happy. Posted Image
I am so happy, because I took bags advice and tried it. These are the two paints I used.Posted Image
Since I use a mac to take my photos, it's backwards. The name of the black paint is brand name Rust-Oleum specialty plastic. The green paint is Rust-Oleum specialty fluorescent. Now when you first put the coat of black, don't do a heavy coat but a fairly light one, and about 30 to 40 seconds after you spray that, spray the coat of green, also a light coat. Make sure the green coat isn't heavy. I decided to try it out on a dead nitefinder shell, and the results amaze me. Here's what it looks like.Posted Image
Hope this helped anyone that's confused. :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users