At2k Modification

Interchangable barrel/turret

11 replies to this topic

#1 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

This modification not only allows your At2k to have a removable turret, but also a normal single shot barrel.

Here are some pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

In order to do this, you must have a 1/2'' CPVC coupler and 1'' of 1/2'' ID CPVC pipe. I am unsure as to how well a PVC would work, but I don't think it would make much of a difference. The coupler has been cut nearly in half, but I left the full inner ring intact. The pieces are then to be cut/sanded like so: Posted Image

The inner ring of the coupler was sanded enough so that it fit snugly over the air chamber as shown. I then used hot glue, though I should probably be using epoxy or plumbers goop, to bond the pieces in place. As you can see, the turret has not yet been barreled at this stage. This is simply because I am lazy.
Posted Image

A perfect fit, no sealing problems either. Though you should probably hot glue a small piece of foam around the part that the air comes out of (for lack of a better name) for a better seal.
Posted Image

A barrel fits perfectly as well. No sealing problems here either.
Posted Image

In this image, you can see that parts of the shell have been dremeled to accommodate for the new additions. I dremeled the part that holds the turret in place, so it can be removed. The plate in front of the air chamber has also been dremeled to fit the new coupler.
Posted Image

Here is another image showing what has been done:
Posted Image

Everything works:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And that wasn't even the best part.

The second part of this Write-up will feature an adapter, allowing you to attach the 2k's turret to any gun that has a 1/2'' CPVC coupler (or PVC, if it works):
Posted Image
(Yes, the turret is slightly angled because of my shitty craftsmanship.)

The adapter is as simple as this:
Posted Image

It is a coupler that has the same notch in it as the one in the 2k, but the coupler is full, not half, and there is a 1'' piece of CPVC hot glued into the other end so it can be attached to another gun.

Ranges have not been tested due to windy conditions outside, but I would guess ranges are typical for a 2k. If not, less.

Enjoy!

Edited by Mepain, 02 December 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#2 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

Cool.

#3 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

Awesome, though I think under the mod directory, FA_24 has put using a turret as a clip. Awesome though. Im definitely going to do this when my 2k gets to me.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#4 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

Wow that's a really good idea.

#5 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I agree on all the points that have been said so far
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#6 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Brilliant. I have an Airtech 2000 and a few nerf guns that this would work really well with. Thanks for this awesome idea.

I don't think its necessary to be completely original in your writeups as long as you have something new or interesting to add. Everyone does independent work slightly differently from everyone else with this hobby, and who knows, you might have a better solution than one that's in the directory.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

This is a pretty good technique. I've been doing it for a while (Sam and I discussed this quite a bit a while ago) and it works well. However, I'm a little confused by your BBB set up. Why does the coupler protrude so much from the blaster? That dead space is going to severely decrease the ranges.

Nice write-up.

#8 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

This is a pretty good technique. I've been doing it for a while (Sam and I discussed this quite a bit a while ago) and it works well. However, I'm a little confused by your BBB set up. Why does the coupler protrude so much from the blaster? That dead space is going to severely decrease the ranges.

Nice write-up.

That coupler protruding from the BBB is the adapter, it's sticking into the initial coupler inside the BBB. I understand that the dead space will decrease ranges, but the whole setup is made to be removable.

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Is there already a coupler on the BBB? If so, why not just plug the turret into it? I don't see a reason for their to be any pipe behind the coupler.

If there's not a coupler on the BBB already, why not? There really should be. Makes reloading much faster.

#10 Mepain

Mepain

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

it's sticking into the initial coupler inside the BBB.

The turret will not fit into the coupler inside of the BBB because of the giant spring sticking out of it, so it needs an adapter. I'm sure I could simply cut another coupler like the one in the 2k and glue it onto the BBB, but that defeats the purpose of this whole modification.

#11 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:53 AM

Wow, this is a slick mod, I am going to investigate one of my AT3Ks and see if I can do this mod there, if I can then I'll make an attachment for my Titan II project so I can have a turret Titan on top of all the other attachments. :cry:

Thanks for the idea!

#12 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Very nicely done! I wouldn't have thought to modify a couple like that. Perhaps I'll try this with my other AT2K...
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users