Photo

Poll: Which Of These Olympic Sports Should Not Be One?

racewalk, BMX, or ping pong?

38 replies to this topic

#1 TGfeo

TGfeo

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

which of these should not be an Olympic sport, and why?
Racewalk

BMX

Ping pong

#2 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

which of these should not be an Olympic sport, and why?
Racewalk

BMX

Ping pong

Well ping pong is actually called table tennis and that is also my vote.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#3 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

I say they take out that Trampoline crap and put Rugby back in!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#4 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

I say they take out that Trampoline crap and put Rugby back in!

Yea any two fingered faggot can jump on a tramploine, and do flips.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

Dude, take out that run walk and put in NERF!

Have your 6 man nerf team, playing in custom courses with your modded guns. It would be awesome, because then no matter how dumb you would look, people would excuse it because you are an Olympiad.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

Have your 6 man nerf team, playing in custom courses with your modded guns. It would be awesome, because then no matter how dumb you would look, people would excuse it because you are an Olympiad.

And then take out ping pong and put in lacrosse!
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Yea any two fingered faggot can jump on a tramploine, and do flips.

Obviously the talk of someone who's never set foot on a trampoline in his life.

I was a gymnast for six years and although we may have considered ourselves superior to the trampoline team at our gym, it is seriously a sport that can break you. There is a reason trampolinists have six spotters around the trampoline- you're bouncing upwards of twenty feet in the air performing triple front-tucks with a half twist out, or double twisting double backs.
"Do flips" is like saying learn to fly a boeing 747. You don't just do it, you have to do it right.

Anyway, that's my rant.
On topic: I think Walk Racing or Olympic Speed-walking is rediculous. There's no way I could not laugh if I saw a bunch of guys trying to outwalk each other with totally determined expressions.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#8 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

Edited by AJZ, 13 July 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#9 Dr Rockzo

Dr Rockzo

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

Ping Pong is pure sport. You guys are stupid. It's just like tennis, just less running back and fourth and groaning. Synchronized swimming <-- now that isn't a sport.

#10 ddog

ddog

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, synch swimming is pretty stupid. I like the badminton though. And baseball is going out because the MLB won't put any good players in.

#11 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

Umm, why is BMX even on this list of non-sports. I consider something not a sport when not everybody (or a majority of people) can do said sport. Everyone's played ping-pong, and everyone has walked. Not many people can even get 6 inches of air on a 20" bike. Case closed.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#12 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

Umm, why is BMX even on this list of non-sports. I consider something not a sport when not everybody (or a majority of people) can do said sport. Everyone's played ping-pong, and everyone has walked. Not many people can even get 6 inches of air on a 20" bike. Case closed.

Does that really make sense to you?

Table tennis is a difficult sport. I went to a table tennis gym (yeah, you heard that right) a few times when I was in South Korea. They even had a "pitching machine" that shot ping pong balls at me at various angles and spins so I could practice returning. As a side note, there was a semi-crippled guy there (couldn't walk very quickly) that was amazing!

#13 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

Does that really make sense to you?

Table tennis is a difficult sport. I went to a table tennis gym (yeah, you heard that right) a few times when I was in South Korea. They even had a "pitching machine" that shot ping pong balls at me at various angles and spins so I could practice returning. As a side note, there was a semi-crippled guy there (couldn't walk very quickly) that was amazing!

What other sports could a semi-crippled guy play? That is my question to you. No offense to cripples whatsoever, but there are definitely certain degrees of "sports".
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#14 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

I have to agree with imasoulman. Table tennis is HARD. I was watching a match on TV today, and those balls must have been flying at like 30 mph. on those smashes!! It has definitely earned its place as an olympic sport.

Also, on a side note, I think rougue warrior is an idiot. I went to the same gym as blackfox, and yeah any two fingered faggot can do flips, but can any faggot to one flip with 2 1/2 twists? How about two flips in the air? I can. Not you though, butthead.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#15 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

What? I'm no expert on BMX, but from what I've seen there is no athleticism involved whatsoever... that, in my mind, is what makes a sport a sport - being an athletic activity. If you can break a sweat and get a good workout doing it, it's a sport. Not to say that that necessarily qualifies the activity to be an Olympic sport though...

#16 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Ping Pong is pure sport. You guys are stupid. It's just like tennis, just less running back and fourth and groaning. Synchronized swimming ~<==8 now that isn't a sport.

I'm sorry to say it but I think synchronized swimming is a sport. The women in it throw each other in the air without touching the ground. I think that all the Olympic sports have there place in the Olympics. Just watching them makes me think, the average person can't do that. Trampolining is also a sport and deserves it's spot in the Olympics, after all, it is gymnastics. Now all they need is beer drinking in the Olympics.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 23 August 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#17 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

Ping Pong is pure sport. You guys are stupid. It's just like tennis, just less running back and fourth and groaning. Synchronized swimming ~<==8 now that isn't a sport.

I'm sorry to say it but I think synchronized swimming is a sport. The women in it throw each other in the air without touching the ground. I think that all the Olympic sports have there place in the Olympics. Just watching them makes me think, the average person can't do that. Trampolining is also a sport and deserves it's spot in the Olympics, after all, it is gymnastics. Now all they need is beer drinking in the Olympics.

Haven't you ever heard of beerfest come on now its held every year. But as far as olympic sports that shouldnt be sports, Handball might be one of the dumbest ones that nobody ever heard of but power walking shouldnt be one, I imagine the judging would be really gay for it. table tennis is fine you have to be really good to play on an olympic level, so yes everyone can play it as someone said but to play competitively you have to actually be good.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#18 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

Enough bullshit definitions of what a sport is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Get the fuck over it. Whether you think a sport is stupid or not, does not govern what should or should not be aloud. Every event has incredible competitors and takes a ton of challange. I would bet my life savings that not a single person on this board could compete in any event no matter how stupid. So why not stop being pricks and just sit back and watch some people do some amazing shit.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#19 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

What? I'm no expert on BMX, but from what I've seen there is no athleticism involved whatsoever... that, in my mind, is what makes a sport a sport - being an athletic activity. If you can break a sweat and get a good workout doing it, it's a sport. Not to say that that necessarily qualifies the activity to be an Olympic sport though...

Actually being an expert on BMX I can assure you that this isn't the case. The ~45 seconds you are on the track per moto are extremely mentally and physicallly taxing.

EDIT: A moto is one lap on the track. The track that I race on is about a quarter mile, and a full night of racing consists of three motos, plus a main. Motos are like qualifiers. Sorry for editing this in, I'm saving my 200th post for a write-up tomorrow.

Edited by analogkid, 24 August 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#20 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Haven't you ever heard of beerfest come on now its held every year. But as far as olympic sports that shouldnt be sports, Handball might be one of the dumbest ones that nobody ever heard of but power walking shouldnt be one, I imagine the judging would be really gay for it. table tennis is fine you have to be really good to play on an olympic level, so yes everyone can play it as someone said but to play competitively you have to actually be good.

Are you serious? Do you even know what handball is? It's racquetball without a racquet. Not only do you get massive blisters ( not that this is particularly sporty or athletic ) but it requires a great deal of stamina to play an entire match.

Actually being an expert on BMX I can assure you that this isn't the case. The ~45 seconds you are on the track per moto are extremely mentally and physicallly taxing.

My mistake - I was unaware BMX did not entail any sort of motorization. I was, for some reason, under the impression that it was much more similar to motocross than it is. But still - 45 seconds? That's a bit short. Can you elaborate on what a "moto" is?

#21 Oro

Oro

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

I haven't been watching the Olympics, but yesterday Synchronized Swimming was on as I ate lunch. You may say that it's not a sport, but I truly admired the women who competed. Performing minutes long of movement... Wait, no, I meant to say constant movement in the water. Have you ever tried pushing someone 10 feet out of the water without touching the bottom? Have you ever held your breath underwater for a long time while your extremely tired and trying to launch your teammate into the air, without touching the ground? All these Olympic events require training and extraordinarily fit people to compete in them. You don't see some fat@$$ just speedwalking past the world's best speedwalker. I personally don't think of speedwalking as much of a sport, but seriously it's just like running at slower speeds and tougher circumstances.
QUOTE(deaddumpster @ Jun 25 2008, 04:59 AM) View Post

Don't pry.......and gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

#22 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, constantly moving in the water without touching the bottom is tough (I played water polo for a year in college, probably the most taxing sport in which I've ever participated).

The sport that I think should be in the Olympics is Cheerleading. Talk about serious athleticism. It takes all the training, conditioning, and foucs of gymnastics and adds to it the difficulty of teamwork, PRECISION timing, and a faster pace. I mean, if Ice Dancing can be an olympic sport, why not cheerleading? They wouldn't have to cheer or anything like that, just do team floor exercises with lifts/tosses/drops/stunts etc. I think it would be pretty amazing to watch the top mens and womens gymnists take the floor together and perform as a team. That would be AMAZING athleticism.

#23 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

Well as long as we're gonna talk about sports that should be in the Olympics, anyone want to venture a guess as to how many years before we will see mixed martial arts enter the Games? I realize it is not a concise sport, but after all, there are already boxing, wrestling, Taekwondo and Judo events that account for 51 of the 302 events that are held.

#24 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

I have to agree with imasoulman. Table tennis is HARD. I was watching a match on TV today, and those balls must have been flying at like 30 mph. on those smashes!! It has definitely earned its place as an olympic sport.

Also, on a side note, I think rougue warrior is an idiot. I went to the same gym as blackfox, and yeah any two fingered faggot can do flips, but can any faggot to one flip with 2 1/2 twists? How about two flips in the air? I can. Not you though, butthead.

Butthead!!! Your the only person I've seen use that word. Such a good word...

I've seen Paintball matches on ESPN, they play on bounce tent structures with pillars and stuff. It would be cool to nerf on that kind of place.

#25 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

I change my vote to the removal of underwater basket weaving, what a joke.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users