Tearing my darts a new one.

11 replies to this topic

#1 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • State:New Hampshire

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

After a recent integration and singling, my AT2K started to tear my darts up. I usually pump it five times but this did not happen before when I had the turret on. My reason for starting this topic is so that I could ask if this has happened to anyone before and if I could fix it. Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#2 futureseal

futureseal

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

After a recent integration and singling, my AT2K started to tear my darts up. I usually pump it five times but this did not happen before when I had the turret on. My reason for starting this topic is so that I could ask if this has happened to anyone before and if I could fix it. Any help is appreciated.

If you posted a pic of your barrels, it would help us solve the problem. But just in case you can't, are the darts shredding when they leave the barrel, or when they hit? If it's when they leave the barrel, then you most likely have rough cuts. If it's when they hit. then its velocity. I had the same problem on my turret before i got my dremel.
~~GamesRadar~~
Those of you who’ve never known the pain of hamster loss, just remember, your family doesn’t love you and there is no God.

LIVE Gamertag: CitrusyLimeO9. Its the letter o.

#3 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

If you posted a pic of your barrels, it would help us solve the problem. But just in case you can't, are the darts shredding when they leave the barrel, or when they hit? If it's when they leave the barrel, then you most likely have rough cuts. If it's when they hit. then its velocity. I had the same problem on my turret before i got my dremel.

I do not have a digital camera, but I can assure you that it is not my barrel. I used a hacksaw and de-bured it with my exacto knife. Then I used sand paper to make it even smoother because of this. While testing the new barrel, I shot the dart at a range of 5 feet from a pillow, so I doubt it was the impact. Thank you for a fast reply though.

#4 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • State:Colorado

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

How dense is the foam? That might have an affect.
TMC

#5 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

How dense is the foam? That might have an affect.

During testing, I used both stock darts and Ace foam stefans. Having never been to an actual war before, I have never had anything to compare my stefans to. In comparison to stock darts though, my stefans are slightly denser.

Edited by laxtk88, 07 August 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

What do you mean shredding? Are the heads coming off? Does the dart rip in half?
Try shooting it in your yard instead of against a pillow, it could still be the impact.

#7 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:01 PM

I'd say that shooting a pillow from five feet away is your problem. The dart has it's highest speed right out of the barrel and the pillow causes a sudden and violent stop, strangely enough. Have you tried shooting the gun at anything else?
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:07 PM

Your barrel is too tight.

Theres too much pressure behind the dart, and too much friction is holding the dart in place, so it causes a tear because of the weakness of the dart vs. the pressure.
Are you using CPVC? I've always best results with it, but darts don't last 2 shots :)
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:29 AM

I've had the same experience: Singled AT2k + Five Pumps + Stock Dark = Shredded Dart.

Your darts didn't shred with the turret because that's not a very efficient barrel, and is somewhat leaky. A singled barrel is able to channel all the pressure to the dart. If you're using stock darts, stay with four pumps.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised no one before carbon suggested to pump it less...wait, no I'm not. If you're creating too much force with 5 pumps, fewer pumps will have both the benefits of preserving your darts and reducing your reload time. Maximum distance is not always the best goal. If your darts are still shredding at 3 pumps, than at least you know it's not the impact.

VACC

#11 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Thanks all, it did end up being the amount of pumps. I am now pumping if four times and it is not shredding.

#12 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Yep, I was having this problem as well, with my Secret Shot 2. I plugged the pump and basically maxed out the amount of pumps. It was tearing gashes down the lengths of my darts about an inch long.
After kind of freaking out (what sort of kid's toy fires things this hard?) I unplugged the pump and reduced the amount of pumps I used. The darts stopped tearing, they still went like 70 feet, and I was happy to not have to take so long to load.

I was having a REALLY tough time with tearing darts in my singled Titan. I was trying to come up with a stock dart way to use a long barrel, but it mostly ended in failure because of my tight barrel. Streamlines would go like 150 feet but would spin out of control. Taggers and sonic darts would just get mangled by the high air pressure as they left the barrel. I would never fire stefans out of a singled titan. It's a good way to hurt someone, frankly.

My airtech 2000 doesn't have dart-tearing problems for the most part, but it has happened once or twice. Darts are subject to wear and tear, and sometimes they do fail. I've had an easier time with newer darts because older ones have a larger bore diameter, making them easier to shred.

Edited by BendyStraw, 08 August 2008 - 02:56 PM.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users