6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

Forward

CTF is popular on the West Coast but not at all popular on the East Coast because we love to cram as many rounds as we can into a war to make up for the travel time and money that many invest in order to attend.

The problem with traditional CTF is that unlike 3/15 Deathmatch and Gunslinger Heaven there's little or no open strategy element. And previous attempts at refining the play rules lead to the rounds consisting of primarily defense or hiding. Both of which are contradictory concepts to the mode of play that Nerf typically provides.

Overview: For each team, there can only be one Highlander. The Highlander will live, die, and be reborn in infamy in the pursuit of victory.

Play Style Rules
1. The flag must be a usable Nerf weapon. Either a boffer sword or a side arm that's brightly colored, has team-color streamers hanging from it or whatever is needed to make it very difficult to conceal and easily identifiable.
2. The "Flag" starts from a pre-agreed upon location at its respective team base. Cannot be repositioned by the team players of the same color as the "Flag".
3. The "Flag" can only be moved by the opposing team.
4. Once captured by a player of the opposing team that player becomes the "Highlanders" and that player can use the flag as a weapon. Either by tapping or by firing darts with it (if applicable).
5. Once the "Highlander" gets shot or tapped by an opposing team player they must drop the "Flag" weapon they are carrying. The same applies if a "Highlander" manages to score a hit on another "Highlander"
6. "Flag" weapon will remain where it falls and the respective team that matches that color of "Flag" is not allowed to move it or return it to their base.
7. All players who get shot by an opposing team member have to clear back in to the game either by touching their base, or by counting to 15 seconds getting completely out of range of the opposing team and yelling CLEAR. If a player is shot while standing within 15 feet of their base they have to count to 15 out loud before yelling that they are clear.
8. First person to get a live "Highlander" back to their base wins.

Optional Rule: All players can only use side arms (will shorten the game)
Optional Rule: All players have infinite lives
Optional Rule: "Highlander" can only use the "Flag" as a weapon and no others so long as they are carrying the "Flag". (i.e. no dual-wielding and if the "Flag" is a sword they can only use that.)

This arrangement introduces an opportunity for each team to sabotage the ability of their opponents to effectively defend their "Flag" since they can progressively move it away from the respawn location and out into open terrain. The "Flag" being a usable weapon also does not inhibit the ability of the "Highlander" to defend themself while retreating towards their base.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 28 September 2008 - 08:46 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

Sounds very fun, I have a question though. Must the flag be visible from the opposing teams starting location; is that unnecessary seeing as the location is pre-agreed? Did that make any sense?

A side of nerf
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Sounds very fun, I have a question though. Must the flag be visible from the opposing teams starting location; is that unnecessary seeing as the location is pre-agreed? Did that make any sense?

A side of nerf

Bases do not have to be visible from each other. The "Flag" for each team just has to start where everyone agreed they would start from. So no sitting on it or hiding it in a trash can.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 August 2008 - 09:03 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Seems a little complex, no more so than other CTF games though. I'd like to see this in action at some point. CTF hasn't been too long with my clan though, generally somebody takes a huge risk and either wins with it or falls to far behind to recover.

This game does seem to prevent stalemates though, which is a problem that CTF tends to create.

Edited by Cmdrmack, 04 August 2008 - 10:58 PM.

QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

Honestly it's the same as most CTF rounds I've played. Only difference is that the "Flag" is a weapon and both teams can't bring their flag back to their base after it was dropped.
CTF every time I have been in a round of it just ends up being a team deathmatch round where people do a lot of standing around and defending. Which is very boring. This version will hopefully promote more movement.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 August 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#6 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

Sounds VERY fast compared to the old versions of CTF.

Silencer and I will try to give this a go at NJWar.

Sounds like it would work great with one of Bag's homemade mantas... Hmmm...
Timothy M-Lick <3

#7 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

We Pittsburghers have played CTF quite a few times, including twice this past Saturday. I must say that they are some of the most fun rounds I've played.

I believe that this is because we give everyone infinite lives. In normal 3/15, everyone is fairly cautious about their lives and, as a result, there is a lot of camping and losing. With infinite lives, on the other hand, one may rush with reckless abandon. So, I would suggest utilizing the infinite lives optional rule. Personally, I can't think of any other way to play CTF.

Plus, it allows everyone to play a complete game. Actually, combined with the fast-paced action, it's probably one of the best starting rounds at our newest war location (a sprawling castle-like playground).

Also, instead of the whole "count to 15 within 15 feet" rule, we just make "dead" players count to 15 and return to a designated "respawn" point before coming being able to return to the game.

So, if a player was hit far from his base, he'll count 15 before reaching the respawn point and thus be able to respawn instantly once he reaches the respawn point. On the other hand, a player who is hit close to his base will have to wait at the respawn point while he finishes counting to 15. (Yeah, it's basically just a simplification of Slug's rule).

Edited by jwasko, 05 August 2008 - 08:36 AM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users