The Manta Star

A Chili Creation

3 replies to this topic

#1 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

My creative juices have really been flowing with alot of unique/special modifications I've been doing lately. So yesterday I saw Imaseolman's Arachnaphobia Pistols and I was in awe. I think he does some of the best and most creative mods on this site and I love pretty much all of them. Seeing his gun's just reminded me of how good the SMDTG/BS integration's are. Selling one, but still have one left I decided it was time for an integration. I was looking through my bunch of gun's and was thinking about what may need improvement and an increase in badassim. Most of my good guns would just look awkward with the integration on them except for one. The Manta 2k. This gun is good but having the bottom barrel crooked really only had me shooting one of the 2k's instead of both. I decided I needed to revamp the gun a little. So I added a SMDTG/BS integration to it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The gun itself is a little less than 2 pounds, not heavy at all. On the right side, when seeing from the bottom, I put one BS barrel and the pump. The pump is on this side because I hold the gun with my right hand, making it easier to pump with it up by my arm, rather than it lower under my arm. The second barrel that would be fired is symetrical to the pump on the other side. The third barrel, symetrical to the 1st barrel. Just like imaseolman, I purposely did this. The first thing I did, actually, was to find out if the SMDTG trigger would be comfortable, which it is.
Posted Image
My thumb slides right on the detonator of the SMDTG and my other fingers barely touch it, if at all touch it. Well after perfectly installing the SMDTG/BS integration my next order of business was to fix the crooked AT2k barrel, which I did with epoxy putty while holding the barrel still. It's 100% straight but around 90%, plus it's the back up "gun" I use on the Manta. The tubing doesn't get in the way at all since my wrist slides under it. Since NerfCrazy and Falcon were giving me ideas for puting the trigger by my hand, I figuired I needed one there and having the SMDTG/BS worked out perfectly.

Ok, now the name? Well imaseolman named his original Arachnaphobia because he had 8 barrels and so do spiders, hence the name and being afraid of the gun/spiders. Well what animal/insect has 5 legs you ask? Well, none, unless something got amputated or a mutation but those don't count. A Starfish, which is a Echinoderm, has 5 "legs". My gun has 5 barrels, as well as a star has 5 ends or points.

Ranges:
I have no official ranges, it's almost midnight here. I'll get some tommarow. Based on my other guns and comparing them to it. I'd say both the AT2k's get around 70-90', with 5 pumps. The BS barrels probably get around 75' with 25 pumps. The pump I'm using is an AT2k pump. At 25 pumps it get's hard to pump. The great thing about the SMDTG/BS integrations is that you can pump it 25 times and fire off the first BS barrel. Then pump it maybe 5 more times and have the first barrel full again. Doing this really utilizes the integration. Getting to shoot one shot 75'+ while having 2 back up 75'+ shots is totally badass.

Questions, comments, flames?

Edited by ChiliPepperFender, 23 July 2008 - 03:35 PM.

[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#2 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:41 AM

Not bad, Chilli, not bad at all. This is amazingly close to some of my early plans for Arachnophobia II. It's good to see more "Marvelous Salvos" being integrated.

Is it hard to make your AT2K shots hit their mark due to the pulling of the key ring?

The only thing I would change is the number of pumps...three pumps seems a lot to handle...pun intended. You could put on a check valve and get rid of one of the pumps...but if you like the current balance of the gun, it's not a bad idea to be able to pump quickly to reload after you've fired all of your shots.

Great job...I hope to see more of this type of creativity!

Edited by imaseoulman, 23 July 2008 - 02:46 AM.

#3 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

What section are those tubing couplers usually in? I want to try to make a Marvelous Salvo. :P
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#4 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

Galaxy: I use tubing connectors that are size 1/4 OD. I know imaseolman uses 3/16 but that's for barbed fittings. On my first Marvelous Salvo it leaked a tad bit but only when you violently moved it. On this one it doesn't leak at all though which is great. You find the coupers/fittings in the irrigation section. Or maybe the Plumbing section...It was one of those two though. I'm telling you man, these Marvelous Salvo's are GREAT, definently good integration material.

imaseolman: Thanks for the compliments. Yeah it is kinda hard to aim with the two key rings in the back. The top barrel not so much but the bottom barrel especially. Though my main gun I use is the first MS barrel and just "reload" that

I agree with you though, there are too many pumps. I was kinda forgot about the number of pumps when I was making it, also the bottom AT2K is hard to pump due to there being 3 barrels in the way. I like the gun anyways though. I may make changes later on though if I feel I need too.

Edited by ChiliPepperFender, 23 July 2008 - 01:07 PM.

[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users