Photo

Two Questions About Homemades

9 replies to this topic

#1 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

Okay, I'm designing a homemade airgun working with an upscaled version of the explosive release valve(I'll post a write-up soon), as well as a new kind of breech, and I have two important questions:

1. Can you bond Sch. 80 and Sch. 40 PVC with PVC glue/PVC primer? Say, a Sch. 40 reducing bushing and some Sch. 80 1/2" PVC?

2. Does 19/32" brass slide into 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC? I know 9/16" does, and 5/8" doesn't, but I don't know about 19/32".

I need these answers as soon as possible, because the current designs depend on it.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#2 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

use pvc primer, then pvc cement. Im almost positive you can do sch40 and sch80 together though... No idea on the brass...

#3 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Have you ever tried it? If not, its not really helpful. Sorry if that sounds harsh or anything, I just kind of don't want to be messing around with pneumatics.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

19/32" brass slides perfectly into 1/2" PVC. It's what I use as the base of my breech barrels.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

Alright, thanks. That affirms that at least one of my designs will work.

#6 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:50 AM

As Carbon said, the brass fits. Also, soe PVC cement only works for one kind, but some work for both 40 and 80.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#7 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

I've cemented sch. 40 to sch. 80 before without issue. As far as I know the only difference between sch. 40 and sch. 80 is the thickness (okay, and sometimes the color), not the composition, so all PVC cements should work.

#8 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well, as long as I can seal Sch. 80 and Sch. 40 it's good. My PVC cement/primer doesn't say anything about any one kind of PVC. Should I just assume it works?

#9 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

As has previously been noted, you can in fact bond schedule 80 PVC to schedule 40 PVC (or even to unscheduled.) The difference between the two types of pipe is not in the composition, rather in the wall thickness and the pressure rating to which such pipes are certified. (the word 'schedule' here refers to the table which will tell you what pressures and temperatures are suitable for a give diameter of pipe.)

PVC cement works very much like model cement, in that it is, primarily, a careful solvent, intended to make the vinyl polymers in the PVC able to link up with the vinyl polymers in the second piece. This is also why thorough cleaning of the mating surfaces is so important - you don't want debris in the way, as that will weaken the overall bond.*

*- by bond, here I mean the aggregate mechanical connection being made between pieces. To my knowledge, PVC cement does not in fact cause the polymers in each piece to bond chemically.

#10 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thank you very much Kazimir. That was probably the most helpful thing that I heard in this thread, besides Carbon's answer to my second question.

To all: consider this thread closed. There is nothing more to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users