Photo

Homemade Vulcan

22 replies to this topic

#1 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

Yes, its ugly but it works! I always wanted a big machine gun, like a rapid fire 20 on steroids. The Vulcan may be my dream but I also have my new homemade, I used the motors and wheels from an old Motorized ballzooka. They were originally meant to use 6 volts in parallel, I hooked each one up to its own 9 volt battery. They are mounted on a 2x4, with two toggle switches. (one for each motor) There is a plastic corner protecter mounted to the top of the 2x4 with velcro in it. The clips are 20" sections (10 darts) of 1/2 PVC with a slit cut all the way from one end to the other. Load them up stick it in the plastic angle piece with the velcro and push the darts into the spinning wheels at any rate you want via an Allen/hex wrench. When you run out you can easily swap in a new clip, fairly quickly. Ranges are 50 ft flat, and accuracy is decent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: Loading and firing:

Edited by Matt31, 18 May 2008 - 11:48 AM.

"Yet another nominee for the douche bag of the year award." -FA24

"Who the hell died and made everyone the Nerf prophet?" -Piney

#2 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

That's pretty cool, but I wouldn't call it a Vulcan. The Vulcan uses electricity to pull back the plunger, not spin motors or wheels.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#3 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thats pretty cool. Although, like Ubermensch said, The Vulcan uses electricity to power its plunger not spin wheels.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#4 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

That looks pretty cool, do you think you could post a video of it in action? Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#5 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

Thats pretty cool. Although, like Ubermensch said, The Vulcan uses electricity to power its plunger not spin wheels.

Why the fuck did you just post that? Uber just said the exact same thing!

So by accuracy is decent, what do you mean?

Edited by pulletman, 18 May 2008 - 11:37 AM.

QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#6 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

Few things: I compared it to a Vulcan because of performance and usage not because of how it works, accuracy is decent as in you can usually hit within 2-3 feet of what you are aiming for.

#7 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Few things: I compared it to a Vulcan because of performance and usage not because of how it works, accuracy is decent as in you can usually hit within 2-3 feet of what you are aiming for.

If you can hit within 2-3 feet of what you're aiming for, wouldn't your target have to be 4-6 feet wide to hit usually?

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#8 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

I don't know how all of you are comparing this to a vulcan because no one (save perhaps OMC) have seen or used one. We have no idea how it works save some speculative comments in a magazine-type article.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#9 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

­

Edited by DarkInfection, 23 June 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#10 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Why the fuck did you just post that? Uber just said the exact same thing!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow man, chill out.

Anyways, it looks alright, if you wanted to go for a more conventional magazine and trigger, you could try what boom13 did with a dual flywheel.

I think he did that because back in some earlier thread he posted a question but answered the question in his post, without even editing. *ON TOPIC:* Is there any easier way to fire than loading darts in with a wrench? Like, could you develop a grav-fed magazine? It would be a lot more practical.

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized that the darts slide down the tube.

Edited by Salmon, 18 May 2008 - 07:54 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#11 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

Dude... AMAZING.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#12 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:25 AM

I think the Vulcan comparison is perfectly fine. The nerf "Vulcan" is not even a good replica of the gun that it intends to emulate.

You guys are far too hung up thinking that the Nerf Vulcan is the original concept idea of a fully automatic weapon. I'd venture to say that Hasbro with the Vulcan they produced was trying to Emulate the M61 vulcan.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nerfs concept of the "Vulcan" is frankly a POS compared to the real one. Looks wise i mean. Overall I think he did a great job building a electric powerd, clip fed blaster out of some scraps. Stop being so critical and give the dude some credit for what he built.

Good job man. Looks aside the only thing id say it could use is a easier methon of reloading.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 19 May 2008 - 02:27 AM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#13 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

It is beautiful! I mean that.

It isn't the appearance that counts here. No, not by a Longshot ™. :mellow:

No, this thing has beautiful personality. It is beautiful because it works. It is beautiful because it is simple, yet effective.

It is beautiful because it is mounted on a tripod!

OK, enough gushing from me. Kudos for taking a concept and running with it - not just blabbering on about it (like I am with mine until I can get the fundage together to make them - the wife keeps saying something about needing to buy food and diapers for the baby - pfft!)

Anyway, I love the "push forward to fire" concept that you've developed - it is so simple that it wouldn't fail on you in the middle of a heated firefight. It also looks fairly simple to re-load the barrels (even if a bit time-consuming), as it doesn't rely on having tight-fitting barrels or anything. But you've even managed to improve the reload time with your velcro-clips - great work!

Seeing as this is tripod mounted - I'm guessing you intend it to be more of a static, point-defense weapon. That means you could have a bucket nearby simply loaded with extra clips for the thing - giving you the ability to have hundreds of shots at your disposal - and quickly at that!

One question - have you considered using micro-stefans in these clips? You've got 20" clips to work with - and if you tried 1" darts (rather than the 2" ones I assume you're using to get 10 shots) you would have 20 shots that might suffer a bit in range, but would up the ROF even more, providing you with even more flying foam. Just a thought.

Another thing to think about, considering the tripod mount, would be making the whole gun even longer - so that you can fit even more darts in the clips. You could overcome any difficulties with reaching to the end by extending the firing handle backward (parallel to the gun/clip setup) far enough to help you reach. Again - just a refinement on your design that might make it even more effective.

Good job man. Looks aside the only thing id say it could use is a easier methon of reloading.

You do realise that he can reload it buy pulling the "clip" off at the velcro points, and slapping a new one in, right?

Edited by Ambience 327, 19 May 2008 - 07:51 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#14 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

This is great. I just wish it was quiter. Oh well. But I think you could have an even greater rate of fire on this thing if you had multiple sticks of the PVC strapped to your back or something, and had a wooden dowel in each one so you could automatically 'push-to-fire', and not have to put a wrench inside of the slit. I think that you should make another one of these, but instead of a nerf gun spin wheel motor, get a spinning wheel motor from a hot wheels set. Those things are powerful from what I remember.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#15 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Ambience: yes, I have thought of 1" darts for a huge capacity, its just that I'm running terribly low at the moment because I lose A LOT of them.
Bomberman: the original plan was to have dowels to push the darts in but then, when there is a fully loaded clip there is a 20" dowel sticking out the back, which is not good for aiming's sake.

Edited by Matt31, 19 May 2008 - 06:10 PM.

#16 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:58 AM

You do realise that he can reload it buy pulling the "clip" off at the velcro points, and slapping a new one in, right?

Ahh no I didn't catch that part. Thank you for pointing that out.
In that case just some prettying up and maybe some panels to cover the wheels would be a good addition.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#17 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

Must ... not ... sig.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#18 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Must ... not ... sig.

You can sig. it, I know I would if that opportunity was given to me. ;)

I was thinking of some alternate loading methods and this one popped into my head.
It's a gravitational clip. A weight is at the top, and you load darts into it. It attaches right above the spinners. A rod goes through and you pull it out and the darts start to fall into the spinner. I'm not sure how well it would work because of how bulky it might be.
Posted Image
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#19 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

That is similar to the original plan, however, gravity clips in my case have turned out to be rather unreliable.

#20 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

Also, you would have less control over the ROF. With the current design, he can push just a few, or all of the darts at once - meaning he can use short, controlled bursts to keep people back, or full auto to sweep an area clean. The gravity-fed clip would basically be an all-or-nothing - you pull the pin and all the darts fire - no stopping it now!
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#21 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

You should take a look at my homemade electicnerfblasters (<--is this one two or three words?) you can find the threads either by searching or via the homemades directory.
Using a third feeding motor you get both the advantedges of a gravityfed magazine and the controllability of your current stick pushing doohickey. Althought it requires a litte extra engineering i think it's definitly worth it.

Edited by anders, 25 May 2008 - 02:49 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#22 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll defiantly look into it. Hopefully I can make it work on this thing.

#23 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I was thinking more like a ls clip on a track for the reloading..
Darts are pushed up by a spring, stopped by a piece on top.
Push the clip forward along the track so that the wheels grab and launch the dart.
Keep the clip there for automatic fire, or slide it back for a semi-auto.

Just a thought.
Teehee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users