Photo

Summer Ohio War

77 replies to this topic

#1 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

Back when we were planning the spring war we decided there would be another in the summer. Since summer's only a month away we should get to work on it. I'm not going to Dayton again so the two possible locations are Columbus or Cleveland. I personally don't give a shit and I know a lot of people are near Columbus so that would probably be better but if the general consensus is Cleveland that's where we'll have it.

Date: June 21, 2008, 10:00 AM (so don't be a dick and show up at 11 like I usually do)
Location: Whetstone Park of Roses - 3923 North High St, Columbus, OH

Attendees:
Jedijoe9
bpso86+co.
Lynx
Twitch
messergasm
(bobafan - possible)
(oodalumps - unlikely)

Eye protection is mandatory. No glasses, no play. I'll be bringing a few extra pairs and I encourage everyone else to as well, but please try to remember to bring something so I don't have to worry about getting mine back. Bring your own lunch. It's annoying when everyone leaves for lunch and comes back at different times; it would be nice if this could go as smoothly as possible so I'd prefer everyone to bring food. Also, don't argue over whether or not you've been shot. Everyone's usually pretty good about this but it's worth mentioning. Don't use a gun that will put holes in people. I'm leaving this one up to you guys, I'm not going to make any official rules about banning guns and whatnot. Just use your best judgment and if you wouldn't want to be shot with it don't use it.

woot

Edited by NerfMonkey, 19 June 2008 - 12:58 PM.

SexD Warves

#2 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

Summary of the clusterfuck:

Columbus, 14/21 of June

Edited by Lynx, 12 May 2008 - 06:17 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

So from that massive clusterfuck of a post I conclude that we have one vote for 6/14 or 6/21. These are fine for me.
SexD Warves

#4 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:14 PM

So from that massive clusterfuck of a post

Took the words right out of my mouth

Anyway, I wasn't around for the last Ohio war, but I vote for 6/21. I'll also throw in a vote for Columbus because I live there. Whetstone worked well last time, but I did come across an amazing park (in Columbus) that is a giant castle playground. I'll get back to you on the name/location, but it was Effeminate as hell.
"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

I nerf like a four year old.

#5 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

I work at a summer camp from 6/8 to 7/27.
So the most likely one I would be able to attend would be 5/31
and Dayton always has my vote.

Staff nerf wars in the center of hoosier national forest are fun.

Edited by bobafan, 12 May 2008 - 09:15 PM.

thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#6 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

June 21st would probably be best for me. As I said previously though, those two dates are the only ones that I'm not going to be able to make it.

I'm up for a road trip, and Joe, I can't wait to hear about the place you found. New venues are always exciting.

#7 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'm just going to resign myself to not being able to make it to any wars until I start attending UC in the fall. :[
that does give me plenty of time to finish up mods, though.

There are several parks around the east side of Cbus that would probably do very well indeed.

(by the way, lynx, I can't get the FF i bought off of you to work. i have a few ideas, but... jesus, what did you DO to it?)

Edited by Green Riptide, 12 May 2008 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

Oh come on, you forgot me? I'm heart-broken. Really. On a serious note, I can make it pretty much any date everyone else finds convenient. As far off as this is, I should have no problem getting that weekend off work.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#9 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:12 PM

By the way, Lynx, I can't get the FF I bought off of you to work. I have a few ideas, but... Jesus, what did you DO to it?

Trust me, I don't know. It was an AR removal went wrong.

I can't wait for jedijoe9 to fill me in about the castle park thingy! It sounds so sick!

Also, Green Riptide, if bpso86, NerfMonkey and others are going, you should be fine on guns (if that is your only problem)

Finally, bobafan, I will be bugging my dad about the check. I'm not too happy because I gave him the $ and sent the stuff to the address you gave me. I even hid the damn check in paper!

On a completely different subject: If you are already posting in this thread, can you please tell me if you play Counter-Strike CZ and if so, give your name and where you play.
Yes, 'Lynx hates awps and spam' or Lynx and I play in moc.Gaming|original de_office

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#10 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

OK, I spent a good deal of my afternoon racking my brain trying to remember exactly where this park is. I've got the address now, but I'm not going to be back in Columbus until a week before the war, so I can't really get pictures of it.

Here's the google maps image, though:

Posted Image

It's basically a large series of wooden forts with walkways, bridges, and underground cavern type areas. The ground is sandy, which would be good for dart recovery. The playing field would be very different than anything I've heard of, but there are some fields around there if for some reason it didn't work out. Also, I think school is out by then, so we might be dealing with kids on it, although that is probably true most places.

Address:

2405 Wickliffe Rd.
Columbus, Ohio 43221

http://school.uaschools.org/wickliffe/

*edit* Found some pictures of me frolicking in the park when we found it last year

Posted Image
I had luxurious hair.

Posted Image
Coming out from one of the underground sections

Edited by Jedijoe9, 12 May 2008 - 11:27 PM.

"If you watch jaws backwards it's about a huge shark that throws up so many people that they need to open a beach."

#11 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

That is sexy, no lie.

I think a no big blast rule will be in effect since the largest possible distance in that area is 100 feet. Probably find a lot of close range fights so NO BIG BLASTS/BLAST BAZOOKAS/TITANS. Trust me, I had a welt for at least 1 week probably 2 after that.

Hopefully I won't fall down 4 times like in Tipp City. Twice down stairs and twice in the mud (it was cold too).

Edited by Lynx, 12 May 2008 - 11:38 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#12 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

The farther north the war is, the more likely me and a friend or two will come. There will be one week that I will be in DC for my sister's art award thing (I leave June 24th), but other than that I think I'm good for any time.

I felt bad about giving people welts with my Big Blast in the last war. So if I ever use it at a war again, it won't be singled. (planning to test out some complicated mods with my SM1K and other guns anyways).

It's basically a large series of wooden forts with walkways, bridges, and underground cavern type areas. The ground is sandy, which would be good for dart recovery. The playing field would be very different than anything I've heard of, but there are some fields around there if for some reason it didn't work out. Also, I think school is out by then, so we might be dealing with kids on it, although that is probably true most places.

That reminds me a lot of a playground near me that consists of two wooden fortresses facing each other. Looks like an amazing place for a war but sandy sounds like bad terrain for a war due to getting it in guns, shoes, etc.

Edited by oodalumps, 13 May 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#13 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

I was planning on coming but none of the dates work for me.

Have a good war guys.

Edited by Ryan201821, 13 May 2008 - 02:14 AM.

#14 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

Wow, that arena looks amazing. Do you know who constructed it? I have a playground located near me that (based on those few pictures) has similar architecture, but it sure as hell doesn't have subterranean tunnels. 1,000 Hands Project, perhaps?
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#15 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

t sure as hell doesn't have subterranean tunnels

Tunnels is probably the wrong word-- These are passageways that travel under the constructed playground part, but still above ground (as cool as that would be...)

#16 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

I too have a park like that near me. It looks amazing and I've always wanted to nerf there. But the one you posted pictures of looks bigger than the one by me.

I'll put an attendees list in the first post later.

Oh yeah, I won't be using my Big Blast anymore, but I don't care if other people use them. I'm not going to ban them but if the rest of you guys want to, say the word and we'll make it official. I'm indifferent.

Next step is to pick a location and date. The castle place looks great but someone brought up the issue of getting sand in our shoes. It gets my vote anyway but we'll just go with whatever the most people would prefer.

And it's looking like either June 21 is the most popular date. I could probably do 5/31 to accommodate bobafan but it would be less convenient. I'd like to hear the rest of your opinions: 5/31 or 6/21?

Edited by NerfMonkey, 13 May 2008 - 03:33 PM.

SexD Warves

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Sorry bobafan, but I wouldn't really be able to go to a Nerf war on May 31st for I have finals that week...

Also, my dad is wanting to know if you have PayPal for that would be the best (fastest) method of payment.

The June 21 is a whole lot better for me.

I would like to Nerf here (Castle Place) (preference)

Posted Image

or here (Whetstone):

Posted Image

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 Jedijoe9

Jedijoe9

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

I agree, June 21st is best for me too.

Also, if there is enough interest in the castle park, I will be back in Columbus about a week before the war (if it is on the 21st), so I could take a bunch of pictures in the week leading up to the war and if it isn't satisfactory we could use whetstone as a fallback location.

#19 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I'd still like to hear from the rest of the people that went to the last war or posted in the thread, but 6/21 looks like the best date so far. Sorry bobafan.
SexD Warves

#20 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

Well, since it looks like my 91 Piece of shit doesnt look like it will hold up to go to DCNO, i WILL be showing for this war, 6/21 works, and either location works as well, the further north the better

#21 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

It's fine.
I'll have enough wars at camp, I guess.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#22 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

June 21st should be good.

I'm more worried about having kids on the playground on a Saturday in the summer rather than getting sand in my shoes... We definitely need more scouting and more options b/c I'm fairly certain that that playground will be swarming with little kids at that point in time.

#23 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

So what? a bunch of grown *cough* adults show up w/ blasters. We take the place by force! Or we just show up earlier than them, and when they get in our way we intimidate them into handing over their lunch money and leaving.

...or just devise a back-up locale, I guess that works too.

*6/21 works for me.

Edited by Twitch, 14 May 2008 - 04:47 PM.

~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#24 messergasm

messergasm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

If 6/21 is confirmed count me in. I'm going to throw my vote for that bitchin' castle playground place too.

#25 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

So what? a bunch of grown *cough* adults show up w/ blasters. We take the place by force!

Eh, so many things wrong with that (and fuck yes I'll list them).
1, You are in college, not grown up YET. 2, I among others are not 18 (definitely over age limit). 3, We Nerf. It's a young kids hobby, but we do it. It's just not generally accepted.

So far, it looks like the 21st is the date AND the castle place is the most preferred. If it gets wet, I will prefer Whetstone because I am not falling 4 times AGAIN!

Finally, bobafan, I have told the parent unit TWICE yesterday and once today to send the paypal and he said he will do it later tonight. I also sent him an email with your paypal on it. Thank you for being so patient.

EDIT: The cough meant you were being sarcastic (been exhausted lately).

EDIT2: You want local backup spots? Here is TWO (You guys are mean :( ):

Posted Image

Edited by Lynx, 14 June 2008 - 08:50 PM.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users