Gator Modification

Never before seen barrel replacement.

13 replies to this topic

#1 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

It seems I’ve been doing a lot of never-modified-before write-ups.

Anyways, after doing this mod and putting it back together (which is a complete and utter bitch and a half) I would recommend you just do it from the outside. It might be a little trickier, but completely possible and a lot easier than opening it up. I’ll bold or indicate which steps should be done to make it easiest (the whole thing will be done by opening it up, though). This will also give you guys a chance to see how the thing works, if you’re interested (and my pictures are good enough). I like this gun, especially how the mouth opens and the legs go forward when the you pull the tail back.

Anyways, here it is.

Posted Image

Flip it over and unscrew the four rather large screws.

Posted Image

When you unscrew it you’ll see that the handle isn’t attached to anything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let’s look at the front of the gun. The little prong you see to the upper right is what makes the bottom half of the gators mouth open.

Posted Image

Pop out the assembly by pulling from the top of the gators head (bottom, if you are looking down on it) and pull it out and to the right. Flip it over once you have it out.

Posted Image

The little prong you see there is what makes the top of the head move, and the extension spring is what pulls the whole green piece to make everything happen. Lightly twist that piece out, and pop the extension spring off.

Posted Image

Now open up the mouth and look at the stock barrel/ peg (this is one of the only steps you have to do if you want to save yourself trouble).

Posted Image

Cut off the peg and widen the air hole (pictured with goop already on).

Posted Image

Then glue a 2.5” CPVC barrel on (Goop/epoxy).

Posted Image

Once the barrel is dry take a look at the top of the mouth and sand both sides until they look like this.

Posted Image

Now it’s time to put the assembly back in. While you’re doing so, make sure both extension springs fit under this piece like this (it will have to be attached to the assembly to be put back in, but if they’re not like this the gun will not function. You could push the springs into place with a screwdriver if they’re giving you trouble).

Posted Image

Now put that piece back onto the assembly, and attach the spring to the plunger tube.

Posted Image

Then make sure both rods are like this (not going over, as this would also prevent the gun from firing). There is one on each side.

Posted Image

Pop the assembly back in. Finished internals (should be the same as stock).

Posted Image

Now put the shell back together, but while you’re doing so hold the handle up to ensure it goes back properly.

Posted Image

Finished product.

Posted Image

With bands.

Posted Image

With two strings of bands on it (as shown) I get about 30’-40’. It was very varied throughout the five darts I shot. The highest I got was around 50’, but it traveled extremely slowly (I think it was too tight).

So, what do you think? I like this gun, and think it’s a neat little collectors item. Needless to say I’d love to own someone with this in a war, but that is not likely to happen. This was more of a there’s-no-write-up-for-it-so-I-might-as-well sort of thing.

Questions? Comments?

-OfAll’

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 10 May 2008 - 06:02 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#2 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

Very Clean, very awesome as always. Any idea on what the stock ranges were and what type of ammo it used?
The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#3 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

How do you fire it?

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

Cool, can you get a photo of the mouth open the with cpvc for a tongue?

EDIT: Not only was it the first Gator write up but it was also the first "G" category.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 10 May 2008 - 06:37 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

Liam: It didn't fire micros 20' stock.

How do you fire it?

You pull back the 'tail' and then release. It's a pull and release gun.

Forsaken:

Posted Image

Sorry for the crappy picture. Hope it helps, though.
Double whammy :P.

Thanks everyone.

-OfAll'

#6 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

Cool. It's also your second "pull and release" writeup. How steady is it when you release? Does it jerk at all?

Edited by Ubermensch, 10 May 2008 - 07:53 PM.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#7 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

Its alot smaller than I imagined it. Good wrightup as always.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#8 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Very nice. It would be really cool if you painted the pvc red to make it look like a tongue. Just a suggestion. Good mod and write-up.
TMC

#9 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hey how are those mario mushroom tin mints, I was totally going to get some. On a more serious topic, I agree with the red tongue/barrel idea. How strong is the stock spring in comparison to a new gen. NF?
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#10 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:38 AM

Uber: It jerks a little, but if you put your hand all the way at the top of the handle it's not too bad.

PC: It is pretty small. About the length of an NF, maybe a little bigger.

Silencer: I'll try painting it if I get time, I agree it would make it look better.

Doubleshot: The mints are terrible. The TRU I got them from had 2-year-old ones, but I just got them for the tin :P. The stock spring is a little less powerful than a tek-1 spring, alot less than a first gen NF.

Thanks everyone.

-OfAll'

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

I vote for not only painting the cpvc red, but taking small dolls apart and gluing the parts around the mouth.

Because with a gun that shitty, you're going to need it to look as terrifying or ridiculous as possible to give you those extra few seconds to run far enough to be in range.

~ompa

#12 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Dammit, I purposely bought one of those to mod and be the first. Serves me right for letting real life slow me down.
Nicely done, turned a piece of shit into a pile of crap. Not entirely sure if that analogy is appropriate, but with that gun what can really be called 'appropriate'?
You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#13 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

Nice mod.
Though it makes me wonder why they thought animal-like guns would sell. I look at most max-force guns and I don't think of a gun. It just looks like some random-ass robotic animal mcdonald's toy. (I seem to remember a lot of those when I was a kid) If I was into nerf back then, I would probably stay away from the max-force line, with the exception of a few. The whole idea of guns that look like animals has no appeal, and I think a younger version of myself would agree. I suppose I should just be happy that we have N-strike now...but seriously, what the hell?

Edited by Captain, 15 May 2008 - 07:41 PM.

I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#14 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

Nice mod.
Though it makes me wonder why they thought animal-like guns would sell. I look at most max-force guns and I don't think of a gun. It just looks like some random-ass robotic animal mcdonald's toy. (I seem to remember a lot of those when I was a kid) If I was into nerf back then, I would probably stay away from the max-force line, with the exception of a few. The whole idea of guns that look like animals has no appeal, and I think a younger version of myself would agree. I suppose I should just be happy that we have N-strike now...but seriously, what the hell?

I rather liked the Max Force series and I'm actually a little sad that I didn't buy more of them when I had the chance to. I especially liked the Sawtooth, the Manta Ray, and the Iron Raptor. There were a few others that I had in my possession from time to time, but all in all, those three were my faves.

That said, if anyone owns ANY of the Max Force guns (stock) please PM because I'm interested in buying them.
Gimme back my bullets....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users