Photo

"alternate Fire Modes"

30 replies to this topic

#1 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

In alot of video games, guns have alternate fire modes to make them more versitile. Versitility is probably the most important thing for me when I'm looking to buy a new gun or modding on. So, over the course of looking at random threads and fooling arround with my own guns, I have found several "alternate fire modes." These can range from diferent ways to hold or reload a gun, or more extreme examples, like finding away to dual wield effectively. One of the most interesting things is a technique for effectively firing a magstrike in Semi-Auto mode. The way this is done, is to hold down the trigger and start pumping. After about 4 pumps, a dart will fire. from then on, if you continue to hold down the trigger, whenever you pump it once, it will fire a dart.

If any one else has any creative new techniques or strategies that they'd like to share, pleas post them here.

The point of this thread is not necessarily to find the most effective method of using a particular gun, but rather to find interesting ideas that can be used when the situation arises, or rather, just for fun.
Contrary to popular belief, this thread is not intended for the sole purpose of "dual wielding" and "carrying arround a bunch of different weapons on straps, but rather how to use ONE weapon more effectively. The thing mentioned about dual wielding is just one possible example and by no means the focus of this forum.

Edited by notthedinkus, 01 May 2008 - 09:24 AM.

WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#2 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

When you do that to the MS the dart doesn't go vary far. They only go about 5-7'. Another duel wield weapon is the DTG's. All you need to do is drill a small hole in the cocking handle on both guns and tie a string through them.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#3 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

I just integrate other guns, like the Big Salvo on the bottom of my Crossbow.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#4 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

Instead of duel wielding, wouldn't it make more sense to simply integrate the two guns together? That would make it so you could steady it with both hands and still have the available shots.

Also, I really don't know about alternate fire modes. I don't see the point, because 99.9% of the time, it doesn't yield anything useful.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

If any one else has any creative new techniques or strategies that they'd like to share, please post them here.

Here's a novel idea. Learn how to aim and fire ONE NERF BLASTER effectively and predictably.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:38 AM

Then learn a second, in case the first one breaks.

That should cover everything you need.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#7 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

Unlike Nerf, in video games the 'alternate fire' modes are built-in and don't require ineffective awkward 'techniques'. I think the only way to have truly useful alternate fire modes is to have integrations that work complement the nature of the main gun. For example, a SMDTG on a MS that charges with the MS's pump so that it's charged while you're reloading your MS, or OfAll's LS/DTG integration.

#8 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

A big reason many guns have selective fire modes is for accuracy. A burst of full auto fire will cause the gun to jerk and therefore not be on target. The military has created selective firing for when the situation calls for accuracy over sheer bullet volume.
As Nerf guns have no kick there is really no reason for selective firing. In situations like the MS where it is all or nothing it is best to wait until you have a moderately good chance of hitting the target and putting enough darts down field to absolutely hit your target.
If you are really need a selective fire gun, try the RF20.

Edited by CyberPunkGunner, 28 April 2008 - 09:17 AM.

You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#9 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

First off, I agree that most "alternate fire" modes that we can find with any nerf gun are probably less efficient than using a single gun for its mainstream purpose. However, i'm sure some of the more novel approaches people have found to using their guns are fun, if not all practical. So, rather than bashing the topic of the thread, why don't we see what's out there?

Dual wielding mavericks is always fun. The first time I did this in front of my current nerf group, they were impressed, to say the least. I've also found it to be good practice for when I must cock a single maverick with only one hand (for example, when using the other to open/close a door). In both cases, I tend to hook the "rail" of the gun on the back pocket of my jeans and push, thus cocking without needing a second hand.

Also, for the SMDTG, I have padded the bottom of it and mounted it on top of my wrist, making it possible to wield a primary while having a quick defensive weapon literally on hand for when you need to reload.

Are those the sort of things you're looking for, notthedinkus?

#10 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

Then learn a second, in case the first one breaks.

That should cover everything you need.

How did you ever make the trigger work?

Anyways, this all seems pretty pointless. I agree with Cmdrmack and CS.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#11 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Dayko no it doesn't it shoots harder for me on my IMMS.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#12 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

A big reason many guns have selective fire modes is for accuracy. A burst of full auto fire will cause the gun to jerk and therefore not be on target. The military has created selective firing for when the situation calls for accuracy over sheer bullet volume.
As Nerf guns have no kick there is really no reason for selective firing. In situations like the MS where it is all or nothing it is best to wait until you have a moderately good chance of hitting the target and putting enough darts down field to absolutely hit your target.
If you are really need a selective fire gun, try the RF20.

Like you said, there is no kickback in nerf, so selective fire has another purpose, ammo conservation. If you're playing where you only need one shot to get someone out, then there is no point in wasting a full salvo on one person. Selective fire allows you to better adapt to the situation and respond in the most efficient way.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#13 vanpaun

vanpaun

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

yeah, get an at2000 and put a clipped barrel, scumbag barrel, shotty barrel, and a mega dart barrel. my tips
QUOTE("One Man Clan@Oct 11 2007 @ 07:40 PM)

...And people wonder why the Front Page at NH is all posts from admins about dumb fucking members...

#14 CyberPunkGunner

CyberPunkGunner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

ammo conservation. If you're playing where you only need one shot to get someone out, then there is no point in wasting a full salvo on one person.

Ok, now you are getting to something worth talking about and has been answered already.
It's called "Integration" and it involved putting multiple guns into one. If you are looking to conserve ammo then you just separate all the triggers so you can fire the gun you think is most suited for the task at hand.
If you need further input on how/what/why questions then PM someone with a well known positive reputation and ask them. It has worked for me on several occasions and t keeps threads like this one from growing.
(And yes, I am aware of my hypocrisy within the last part of my statement)
You were born a winner
You were the fastest sperm.

#15 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

I personally love alternate fire modes it adds versatility. I mean I have seen some weird shit be posted on here but the general idea is good.

Alternate firing modes:

SS1 main barrel and hidden barrel in handle.
SS2 main barrel and flip down barrel. (Only really useful when its stock.)
Longshot with Angel breech. Load 1,2,3,4,5 or even 6 darts into the chamber if you like.
Any gun with integrated bonus gun. Great to help keep you covered while reloading.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#16 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

If any one else has any creative new techniques or strategies that they'd like to share, please post them here.

Here's a novel idea. Learn how to aim and fire ONE NERF BLASTER effectively and predictably.

CaptainSlug I really think some of the stuff you make is cool but latley you have been a real fag. If you don't have anything to say about alternate fire modes then don't dare post in this thread because all your doing is fucking up this thread saying it's stupid and useless, but really it's not it is informal and helpfull.

Anyways one alternate fire mod is the rf20's slow automatic if you want to conserve darts and the faster automatic for more power.

#17 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Building off of FA_24's idea,
the unity power system has 3 guns you can fire, each of which can be used for a different situation.
Then there's hornets and blastfires, with semi-auto or shotgun spray options,
Then you can mod arrow/rocket launchers to be able to fire rockets and darts as well,
there's the +bow's power settings,
The defender T3's dual shot action,
Alternate fire settings/options can be very useful if used appropriately.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#18 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

CaptainSlug I really think some of the stuff you make is cool but latley you have been a real fag. If you don't have anything to say about alternate fire modes then don't dare post in this thread because all your doing is fucking up this thread saying it's stupid and useless, but really it's not it is informal and helpfull.

I don't really understand how you disagreeing with CS makes him homosexual, but he DOES has a valid point. Having an alternative fire mode is useless if you can't fire the blaster well normally.
If you have more problems with Slug, please post them here.

As for staying on topic, I'm not really a fan of alternative fire modes in normal wars, but I'm a big fan of shotgunning for Assassin games. I prefer to make multiple preloaded barrels, no bigger than 6", and load them with small 1/2" length stefans creating a sort of shotgun "shell".

Edited by sam, 29 April 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#19 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

I don't really understand how you disagreeing with CS makes him homosexual, but he DOES has a valid point. Having an alternative fire mode is useless if you can fire the blaster well normally.
If you have more problems with Slug, please post them here.

As for staying on topic, I'm not really a fan of alternative fire modes in normal wars, but I'm a big fan of shotgunning for Assassin games. I prefer to make multiple preloaded barrels, no bigger than 6", and load them with small 1/2" length stefans creating a sort of shotgun "shell".

Seriously, everyone has their own styles of play. Not everyone uses the same tactics and guns and strategies as you. Heck, nerf would be absolutely boring if it were. Making a thread like this is asking people to post their opinions and their styles.
SuperGeek.

#20 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

A recon with the barrel attached and a crossfire clipped onto the underside provides a good mix between sheer rate of fire from the main gun and precision and fast reload time from the crossfire.

#21 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

The hornet has a shotgun blast, or semi-auto mode. If you can integrate that into a single fire gun, then you have three different firing modes in one gun.

Edited by Dr. Moose, 28 April 2008 - 08:01 PM.

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#22 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Somtimes if I pump the Magstrike about 4-6 times it'll shoot a 3 round burst...but that's probably just me...
(and yes, we do play games where it's 1 hit and you're out so I think that's useful especially when you're trying to get someone out and you waste like half your clip trying to get 1 person)

#23 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

The Guru is the best example I can think of. Oh yeah and Sarah(?) too.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#24 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Anyways one alternate fire mod is the rf20's slow automatic if you want to conserve darts and the faster automatic for more power.

There's a line between being a hard-ass (CS) and an idiot. You've clearly crossed the line here.

CS just seems to cross me as more of a player who enjoys using one gun, sticking to it, and then owning everyone with it. Similar players I can name that I've seen/heard of are VACC, Groove, and Evil. Notice a trend? It is some of the oldest people in the community who have (combined) been to more wars than weeks you have been here, and are damn good with their weapons (having personally went against Groove and Evil).

Given, there is nothing wrong with trying multiple guns, and I'm still in the process of finding a gun that I really enjoy using (scheduling issues with wars is greatly hindering that), but one should really have a gun that they're really good with before branching out with other guns; otherwise your effectiveness might be hindered. At least that's what I've garnered from hearing the vets for so many years.

So you're both right. CS is right in the fact that you really should be good with one gun to be effective, and the rest of you are right in that it might be nice to have an alternate fire for different situations; An X-bow in close quarters may not be the best idea, but something with rapid-fire capabilities might. However, if you have an X-bow with a rapid-fire gun integrated into it, but you can't aim or use the thing, it's completely useless. But if you're really good with the gun, but the situation just isn't conducive to the gun itself, then you're kind of screwed.

Listen. There's a way to get your dislike of people across without sounding like an idiot. CS comes across as a hard-ass, because he's very blunt and doesn't waste time buttering things up. However, he rarely will go out and throw out an insult that's actually not warranted. Was he sarcastic this time? Yes. Might he have gone a bit too far? Perhaps in the eyes of some. However, he has a point, and even if you disagree, there are many ways to voice your disagreement. Calling him a fag was probably the dumbest thing you could have done, because not only did you not even come close to having an adequate response (CS sarcasm > calling someone a fag), but your response was completely unwarranted.

You could very easily just have presented the argument I did above for when the situation calls for something, but instead you decided to call him a fag. Great move.

In all seriousness people, you all have to learn to deal with moments like these. People will disagree with you, and learning to handle these people is a very important life skill. As such, the next time someone disagrees with you in a sarcastic, critical tone, try a different approach. Explain your view, and if you're feeling confident, try a witty sarcastic remark yourself.

ejrasmussen, I'm going to give you a warning here; generally I haven't had a problem with you so I expect that it will be erased rather quickly. However, I'm going to give you one so you know that in the future, there are far better ways of dealing with sarcastic, biting remarks.

On-topic, I'm personally working on a 2k-LS integration that allows me to still use a pump-action foregrip; I remember the last DCNO there were many-a-time when I wished I had a quick second shot ready to hit the person after a dodge. Given, a pump-action LS is pretty quick, but I'm talking about on the magnitude of within a second. Also, a shot to cover me while I reload the clips seemed like a good idea. It doesn't quite classify as an alternate-fire per say, but it does fall under the realm of a gun that is fitting for a greater variety of situations/extending the usefulness of the gun. After all, 2 medium-long range shots are better than one, eh?

~ompa

#25 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

On-topic, I'm personally working on a 2k-LS integration that allows me to still use a pump-action foregrip; I remember the last DCNO there were many-a-time when I wished I had a quick second shot ready to hit the person after a dodge. Given, a pump-action LS is pretty quick, but I'm talking about on the magnitude of within a second. Also, a shot to cover me while I reload the clips seemed like a good idea. It doesn't quite classify as an alternate-fire per say, but it does fall under the realm of a gun that is fitting for a greater variety of situations/extending the usefulness of the gun. After all, 2 medium-long range shots are better than one, eh?

~ompa

I made a longshot 2k, it's in my signature. I made the pump so it's pump action. It was not the best looking but it got the job done, at a few of the wars I went to.

On topic though: I like Cmdramack's idea of integrating Big Salvo's on other guns. That along with imaseolman's idea with the SMDTG trigger. n fact, I'm working on something like that right now.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users