The Longspider Shotgun

A Highly Effective Longshot

37 replies to this topic

#1 stevenssk11

stevenssk11

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Since the first major external modifications for the Longshot were introduced (shotgun foregrip and front gun integration), I have tried to figure out which is more effective in a nerf war. Now, you can have both:

The LongSpider Shotgun

Posted Image

The Longshot has the standard internal modifications: removed ARs and barrel post, additional spring, additional o-ring. The shotgun foregrip is my own design, using pvc, sheet metal, and epoxy.

I mounted the smdtg on top of the barrel (ruined a Longshot case trying to fit it neatly underneath) and the smtdg pum below the barrel, as shown here:

Posted Image

I placed the trigger assembly on the existing handle so it could be easily fired by the thumb. The connecting tubing runs through the inside body of the longshot.

Posted Image

Here are two videos I made of its capabilities:

http://video.aol.com...ckup/3134202116
http://video.aol.com...blast/395844625

I have listed this thing on eBay, so if you are interested in purchasing, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 Jollex

Jollex

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

This is awesome. I was waiting for someone to do this. Do you have any internal pics?

#3 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Dude, that's awesome. The SMDTG really makes it very versitile. And I didn't think about putting stefans end to end in a magazine. How small are your stefans? 1 and 1/2 inches?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#4 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

I had this idea a few days ago, but have no where near the skills to implement it.

Nicely done.
C8H18

#5 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

<_< That. Is awesome. I especially like where you put the trigger for the SMDTG. So fresh, so clean. Good mod.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#6 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

I'd love to see a write-up of this mod.

Also. I'm putting your first video in the video directory.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#7 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

First off I love everything except the paintjob as I strongly dislike all black guns. Also I had the same idea but just couldn't think of a good placement for the pump. Note: I'm not accusing you of stealing my idea I'm just saying that I had the same train of thought as you.

Edited by Nonsense Man, 21 April 2008 - 07:01 PM.

QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#8 Kalentar13

Kalentar13

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Absolutley Gorgeous. That would be a force to be reckoned with in ZvH games. I've got a spare longshot that might turn into this

Total Props
The Three Shall Spread Their Blackened Wings and Be the Vengeful Striking Hammer of God.

#9 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

First one like this that I have ever seen. I would've thought more people had done this by now. Nice job.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#10 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

This is a GREAT example of what new members should be like. He studied the forums for a bit and made one freakin' awesome integration. Only suggestions/questions are
1 rebarrel the smdtg.
2 give some internal pics.

thanks!

#11 Springer

Springer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

That thing looks deadly. No, really, you should have somewhere on the gun that is bright orange or green or someone might think that thing's for real. It looks like, from what I can tell from the videos, that it is very versatile and functional. By the way, what are the ranges on both?

#12 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

First of all, that thing looks awesome. But I don't think you want to say that it can shoot 130 feet on ebay. I don't want to get into and argument about range, but there is simply no way you are going to get that much out of a longshot. Right now I really don't care if you give BS about your range, that thing looks like it could kick some butt.
SuperGeek.

#13 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

First of all, that thing looks awesome. But I don't think you want to say that it can shoot 130 feet on ebay. I don't want to get into and argument about range, but there is simply no way you are going to get that much out of a longshot. Right now I really don't care if you give BS about your range, that thing looks like it could kick some butt.

I just assumed that he was like every other douchebag on ebay and posted angled ranges.

P.S. - He might not be a douchebag, but it is a douchebag move to post angled ranges anywhere unless it also has flat ranges.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#14 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Obviously, his ranges are angled, alot. I don't think we'll see internal pictures because he's selling the gun, and won't want to open it back up. That is unless he already has internal pictures. Oh yeah, not to mention that he probably glued the SMDTG on the top so he can't open it back up without taking it off.

#15 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

Bravo well done! I'd not thought of mounting the SMDTG on top. usually the idea would be to locate it underneath like most other integrations. Good thinking outside the box. I agree the paint job lacks some but overall it looks nice. Maybe some accenting could do nicely to it.

EDIT -Just read some responses and watched the vids.

Wait a min. You're that dude on ebay that posts the ad's about the 100' recons? lol.
I just read this blurb about the ability of this gun. And I have to take issue with the longshot portion of the gun and how you describe it.
"I started by doing my standard modifications to the Longshot internals: taking out the air restrictor and barrel post, adding a second spring, adding another o-ring, and lubricating the entire action. These modifications will enable you to reach distances of up to 130 feet with this blaster!"

Wow thats complete bullshit right there man. All tho I respect the innovation of this mod. I don't care for your misrepresentations of the items you are selling on Ebay. You also claim a well known inaccurate gun as accurate although I see no mention of barrel replacement or any modification that allows it to shoot stefans. The gun doesn't even sound powerful enough to be pushing more then a stock spring.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 22 April 2008 - 06:30 PM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#16 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

Bravo well done! I'd not thought of mounting the SMDTG on top. usually the idea would be to locate it underneath like most other integrations. Good thinking outside the box. I agree the paint job lacks some but overall it looks nice. Maybe some accenting could do nicely to it.

Well, if you wanted to use a shotgun-style priming mechanism for a LS, there isn't much that can be integrated underneath.

Something I though about after seeing the videos: would it have been possible to instead put 1 SMDTG on either side of the LS, or maybe even use 3? With 1 blaster, it is kind of a defensive weapon. With more, it becomes useful when rushing an enemy position. Or at least it does in my head.
C8H18

#17 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

Bravo! This is the first LS/SMDTG I've seen, and I'd never thought of putting it on top of the gun.

#18 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Awesome, I even like the name being a mix of LS and SMDTG. Clever! The SMDTG's air tank and trigger assembly look absolutely clean, stock, and comfortable as well.

I think all it's missing is a breech and barrel replacement. But who cares? This is an awesome shotgun mod.

#19 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

flippin' nice! I also saw he had a video of a long shot with a laser pointer with a toggle switch. How he got one of those is what I'd like to know!
Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#20 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

What did I tell you guys about that whole "detonator set up?"...

Love the way you did this, well... everything EXCEPT the paintjob... All flat black is both Dangerous and A Lazy way to paint a nerf gun.

...Needs more Color...

also I don't believe your range estimates for a second. (they all seem a tad bit high)

well done though.

Edited by baghead, 21 April 2008 - 10:31 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#21 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

Pretty clean integration. The only thing I dont like is the detonator at the handle. It looks uncomfortable to hold. Great job otherwise though. A write up is definitley in order. But I know your ebay sales are held in higher regard than doing tutorials.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#22 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

That looks great! If I could get my hands on one of these SMDTG I would do this to my LS.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#23 mintee

mintee

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Well, if you wanted to use a shotgun-style priming mechanism for a LS, there isn't much that can be integrated underneath.

Something I though about after seeing the videos: would it have been possible to instead put 1 SMDTG on either side of the LS, or maybe even use 3? With 1 blaster, it is kind of a defensive weapon. With more, it becomes useful when rushing an enemy position. Or at least it does in my head.

Well more than one is a real pain to prime with the stock pump. If you want more than one, it's best to replace the two or three or even four stock pumps with one larger pump (which he can probably do, since he had to add tubing to get the trigger and air tank to the grip to begin with). A bike pump or some other air gun's pump (Hornet, Powerclip, Magstrike) in the same location looks completely doable. Also, he'd have even more room to mount the pump if he didn't use a foregrip.

Then comes the question of how many stock air tanks he'd use... mounting two on the grip might be possible but three would be downright uncomfortable. Hooking three sets of barrels up to one tank would be impossible unless you want ranges under 30' per barrel.

I think the only way to mount three of them and keep the detonator set up would be to have the three at an angle with the tanks halfway sticking out of the grip, and using one big pump to prime all of the air tanks. And we've yet to discuss the nightmare of managing all the air tubes. 1 in 3 out for each tank, equals 12 tubes.

Also, wouldn't three SMDTGs and a new pump be too front-heavy for a mod anyways?

#24 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

The detonators don't contain the air tanks. The air tanks are behind the barrels.

#25 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

Maybe he is for real with his ranges, I just looked at his ebay feedback and he's the guy who sells 100ft recons. It looks like he sold many of them and has gotten positive feedback on all. Or the buyers never actually tested how far the gun could shoot before they gave him positive feedback. If the ranges are BS or not, good luck with the sale, I see it's already jumped to 40$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users