Photo

Tri-turret

3 replies to this topic

#1 rusty

rusty

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

Whenever I post a sale thread usually the first two or three posts is some idiots asking if I have any AT2k turrets for sale. My first reaction is usually "Goddamnit, if I had turrets for sale I would say I had them for sale." Then I realized that if I could make AT2k turrets I could probably sell them at a profit. The only special thing about the turrets is this piece:
Posted Image
That little knobbed cylinder is what lets the turret ratchet. So I found a highly advanced substitute that most of you are probably going to have to order online:
Posted Image
Beads

Next I designed a template to cut out of 3/8 polycarbonate.
Posted Image
(Note: I didn't actually bother following the whole template with the prototype)
After you have cutout three templates 1 plate is drilled straight through to the OD of your barrel, 2 plates have a small diameter whole drilled straight through, and one of those plates has the whole bored out to a depth that your barrels will rest comfortably inside.
Next, a small screw, and spring is placed through the middle whole, and a nut is placed on the end:
Posted Image
and you assemble the rest like so:
Posted Image

Right now all I have is this proof of concept. I had some trouble drilling the holes without a drill press, and something needs to be placed inbetween the two plates to form a better seal. My second version will be cleaner looking, and instead of using 1 sheet of 3/8 I plan on using multiple sheets of a thinner polycarbonate. I feel that this will make it easier to build, and lead to a better seal.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

There are many different ways to index a turret. Some easier than others.
You might want to look into using spring plungers. Those only require that you drill and tap some holes precisely.

Since you're now familiar with CAD, you can use my label paper template method to make machining the parts much easier.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8007

Edited by CaptainSlug, 15 April 2008 - 02:42 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'd second the spring plunger suggestion. After examining them, they should work great. The only disadvantage is that they'll be a little expensive.

A few months ago I made a simple turret that sealed pretty well. I used a screw head as the index. It worked great. You can check out my thread here: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10684

#4 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Cool homemade. Did you use copper as a barell material? If so wont that fit a bit loose on a dart (unless mega) and be extremely heavy.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users