Photo

Elephant Gun's Anyone

41 replies to this topic

#1 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

Hey I was surfing youtube the other day and I found the .577 t-rex it's made for elephants but it kill at both ends, it has 11100 foot pounds of force with a 750 grain bullet...it's a beast.Linky

And also I found the 60 caliber pistol.
Other Linky

#2 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

700 Nitro Express, 1000 Grains.

I Win.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#3 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

God have mercy on that guys shoulder...

Edit: Actually I believe I win....577 2000 grain

Edited by bogboogalars, 03 April 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

Holy shit, 4 gauge shotguns. Shotting a 12 gauge was nothing, but a 4 might blow your shoulder off.

Muskets are hXc though, blow off your whole leg. Whose with me?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

I believe it would blow more than your leg off...like half of you gone.

#6 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

WHat does hXc mean?
Apparently, hardcore.

But, anyway, what kind of muskets are you talking about? The Brown Bess (used by the British) was generally a .75 caliber, I believe. Now, that's going to be pretty heavy, but black powder burns much more slowly than modern smokeless powders and so there is much less pressure to accelerate the projectile.

Here (warning: PDF), it says a 545gr .715 cal. bullet can achieve 1200 feet per second out of a Brown Bess

[http://www.militaryf...tables.asp]Here[/url] it says an M1 (with 174 grain .30-06 bullet) can achieve 2675 feet per second.

So as you can see, the smaller but modern cartridge better speed while being less massive. It's a bit of a trade-off.

If anyone wants to calculate the resulting forces from those, we can get a more exact comparison, but I'm betting that they'll be about equal in terms of just the force at the muzzle...maybe the M1 will even be greater.

Edit: I would, but I have to study for a Physics test (the irony!) on magnetism. Seriously, who needs to know about magnetism? :rolleyes: (Sarcasm there)

Edited by jwasko, 04 April 2008 - 05:54 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Umm... The people who make refrigerators need to know about magnetism.

Forget the math dude. Too technical, it hurts my head.

The force of the round ammo in a musket, would blow off an arm because... Well, first they shot pretty close up, the Civil War times were intense with bayonets and shit, and the action was in your face. The close distance and force of a bigger object into arm= no arm.

Also, the bullets were lead, making infection, or that stuff kill you if the bleeding didn't.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Umm... The people who make refrigerators need to know about magnetism.

Yeah, but who cares about them? I mean, seriously....We should all just eat our food fresh. (<--Sarcasm)

Also, the bullets were lead, making infection, or that stuff kill you if the bleeding didn't.

...They're all lead. Well, aside from the oddball here or there, maybe. That's why they're called full metal jacket. It's like they're wearing a cozy copper/nickel coat!

#9 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Pfft, whatever. Chuck Norris can use these guns with one hand. He can even dual wield them.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#10 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

You do know that rifles that big are almost impossible to aim, right?

Anyway, everyone and their mom know that Mr. Norris carries a railgun.

And for the record, that isn't rocket propulsion, that's metal flying off the round in a plasma state. And the fireball at the end is purely the heat generated from kinetic damage. A version 4x more powerful is already in development, and an 8x stronger version (one shown rated at 8 megajoules) may be deployed as early as 2012.

And for those who want a comparison, 8 MJ is about 6 million lb*ft, while the .700 Nitro Express is about 8,900 lb*ft. Expected performance on ship mounted guns is 5m target radius at 200 nautical miles and nearly 14,000 mph.

Never said anything had to be hand-held.
C8H18

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

The title makes no sense. The elephant guns own anyone? Does this mean you think of elephant guns as a supreme deity?
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:35 AM

I guess if I were hunting elephants, I'd appreciate having one of those rounds. But wow, that's a lot of recoil.

I also didn't know that the Brown Bess fired that kind of load! The muzzle velocity was much slower, but that still must have had a nasty kick. It sort of puts into perspective the common modern perception of .50 cal as huge (nonwithstanding the above giga-shells).

The title makes no sense. The elephant guns own anyone? Does this mean you think of elephant guns as a supreme deity?

You'll notice that no one else felt the need to be pedantic.

#13 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

No but the guns i posted in the first post were "Elephant" guns, or guns used to kill elephants.

#14 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Pfft, whatever. Chuck Norris can use these guns with one hand. He can even dual wield them.

When Chuck Norris pees he clogs the toilet.

Anyways, I've seen this before, it a was a link while I was watching the world's fastest reload or something. Pretty insane stuff.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#15 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • State:Colorado

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

Those are pretty crazy guns. I love the song that goes along with it, for the Elephant one.
TMC

#16 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

WHat does hXc mean?
Apparently, hardcore.

But, anyway, what kind of muskets are you talking about? The Brown Bess (used by the British) was generally a .75 caliber, I believe. Now, that's going to be pretty heavy, but black powder burns much more slowly than modern smokeless powders and so there is much less pressure to accelerate the projectile.

Here (warning: PDF), it says a 545gr .715 cal. bullet can achieve 1200 feet per second out of a Brown Bess

Here it says an M1 (with 174 grain .30-06 bullet) can achieve 2675 feet per second.

So as you can see, the smaller but modern cartridge better speed while being less massive. It's a bit of a trade-off.

If anyone wants to calculate the resulting forces from those, we can get a more exact comparison, but I'm betting that they'll be about equal in terms of just the force at the muzzle...maybe the M1 will even be greater.

Edit: I would, but I have to study for a Physics test (the irony!) on magnetism. Seriously, who needs to know about magnetism? :rolleyes: (Sarcasm there)

I think it would be a safe bet to say the .30-06 has more stopping power. It's just a guess because I don't know the mass of that ammunition of the top of my head.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#17 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

"Grains" is a measure of mass; 1 grain = 0.06479891 grams

So, the .715 cal. bullet has a mass of 35.32 grams (or 545 grains) and the 30-06 is 11.28 grams (or 174 grains).

#18 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

But wouldn't the 30-06 still have more stopping power because of the more or less...no wait more than twice the power of the other one?

#19 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

I thought grains referred to the powder content, not the mass of the actual projectile. The stopping power all depends on the mass of the projectile and the velocity. The two items we're comparing could have similar stopping powers because the brown bess has a bigger projectile but a slower velocity, but the .30-06 has less projectile mass and more velocity. If the grains is a a measure of the projectile then the brown bess has a force of 423 newtons, while the .30-06 would have a force of 301 newtons. So if grains is a mesure of the actual projectile itself and not the powder content then the brown bess has more stopping power. However I think grains is powder content vs grams of the projectile.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#20 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:58 PM

Trust me, "grains" is a measure of mass. 1 grain of powder is the same as 1 grain of lead is the same as 1 grain of my brains.

I'm guessing that you are thinking that a grain means one granule of powder. I thought this too, but "grains" is just an old measure of mass. If you don't believe me, perhaps you will believe Wikipedia?

Also, just because I'm curious...what equation did you use to find the force. I know F=ma, of course, but I can't remember any equations that directly relate velocity to force (without knowing a time interval and change in velocity, of course).

In any case, then, we see that a Brown Bess (at least) can have substantially larger force than an M1 Garand. Thanks for the help, Uncle Hammer.

Edit: As a side note, 545 grains would be way too much powder to put into even a Brown Bess. That one link only shows about 140 grains of powder in a Brown Bess. And, I know that I usually shoot 80-100 out of a muzzle loader (which, is I think, .54 cal.). Finally, .45-70 government cartridges got 70 grains of blackpowder...but only about 12 or 15 grains of modern smokeless powder.

Edited by jwasko, 04 April 2008 - 11:19 PM.

#21 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

hXc is not so much hardcore but straight-edge, which is an offshoot. It represents a lifestyle free of drugs and alcohol. And some other stuff.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#22 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

hXc is not so much hardcore but straight-edge, which is an offshoot. It represents a lifestyle free of drugs and alcohol. And some other stuff.

Oh, I get it, now: hXc isn't hardcore with an "X" for extra coolness...it's a cross product! Silly me.

Posted Image Don't forget the right hand rule!

(Image credit goes to xkcd.com)

Edited by jwasko, 04 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#23 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

To compare the power of several cartridges, the .577 Tyrannosaur produces a maximum of 10,180 foot-pounds of energy. The .700 Nitro Express produces a maximum of 14,374 foot-pounds of energy. The .50 BMG, the most powerful US Military cartridge produces a maximum of 14,896 foot-pounds of energy. The 14.5x114 mm, the most powerful Russian-made cartridge, produces a maximum of 23,700 foot-pounds of energy. So, one wonders why there are no videos of people falling while firing that cartridge.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#24 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

Guys, either way elephant guns may cause slight discomfort, loss of limbs and even death. It really doesn't make a difference with how many grains a bullet has. I'm no mathematician, but won't any of them kill you either way?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#25 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

Guys, either way elephant guns may cause slight discomfort, loss of limbs and even death. It really doesn't make a difference with how many grains a bullet has. I'm no mathematician, but won't any of them kill you either way?

Yes, but an elephant gun round makes whatever it hits EXPLODE.
THEREFORE, elephant gun rounds win, FOR EVER.
(Until a real working bolter is made, then that wins, FOR EVER)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users