Photo

What Nerf Guns Could Be The Crossbows Of The Future?

54 replies to this topic

#26 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

I was mostly talking about the fact that the average member of our community equals probably 15 regular consumers in terms of sales, and that does have an impact. The most important impact we have is that when new guns come out, our members are usually buying them up once they hit shelves, which results in the stores ordering more of them which means that the guns we purchase in higher amounts are more likely to be on the shelf when parents come to buy their kids a new blaster.

Ok, from the mouth of OMC's Hasbro contact before an '06 MA war; this is just not true. There are several engineers that really enjoy watching what we do, but they are the minority, and any contact they make with us is essentially their own decision and not encouraged by the company. We are not a significant enough blip on the sales radar of Hasbro to influence the direction of their products. On the other hand, as you said earlier in your post, we might be able to achieve far greater influence with our information than we ever could with our wallets. While only a minority of consumers actually modify their blasters to the point where this site is absolutely neccessary, product reviews on popular sites and the various office nerfers who might have enough interest in their maverick to give us a look lend us an audiance that MAY be able to wield some influence with their collective purchase power.

Though personally, I think it's not worth worrying about. Just enjoy what we have and continue to find new and intriguing ways to turn their half-assed products into the full-assed foam deliverance.

#27 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

But do WE not contribute to that popularity?

No we don't. You think too highly of yourself and this community. The NIC doesn't really do much of anything that would contribute to the popularity of Nerf products in any significant way. We can do what we do BECAUSE we don't launch national ad campaigns.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#28 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

When I said "Crossbow of the future" I really meant a gun with a similar reputation/demand, not a gun with a physical similarity.

But doesn't performance = a great demand

The Recon may be popular but it's performance wouldn't be wanted in the future.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#29 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

A chrome crossbow will be the crossbow of the future, as I honestly don't think anything made currently will reach that popularity. However the one that will come closest to it will probably be a tie between the LS and the NF (as the LS gets good ranges and is super cool and the NF has awesomenessisim for a pistol)
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#30 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

However the one that will come closest to it will probably be a tie between the LS and the NF (as the LS gets good ranges and is super cool and the NF has awesomenessisim for a pistol)

Isn't that like a Recon? Not in performance, but in concept? I strongly doubt that Hasbro would do more of the same. That's why we don't have another Crossbow, and we likely never will.

Actually, Nerf tends to reuse things. Look at the past. The Razorbeast has been twisted into the Vulcan, the LnL the Nitefinder, the Blastfire the Hornet, and the Ripsaw the Buzzsaw. But, honestly, the Crossbow is unique. And the LS just might reach Crossbow standards, but only far, far in the future.

Edited by Salmon, 20 March 2008 - 07:17 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#31 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

The recon is on Clearance? I might buy another for the hell of it.

The recon has no TV advertisements, and I haven't heard of it in any magazines. No publicity, a product needs some advertising for people to know about it, the word catch on, and for it to be worth the product costs.

I think Orange, Badger, and Jangadance DEFIANTLY contributed to the Nerf brand's gross. :)
Timothy M-Lick <3

#32 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

The only problem with the Nitefinder becoming the Crossbow of the future is that they keep remaking it. There's the old edition and the ex-3. They also keep changing the colors too. As opposed to the Crossbow was one edition and one color.

My two cents.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#33 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

The only problem with the Nitefinder becoming the Crossbow of the future is that they keep remaking it. There's the old edition and the ex-3. They also keep changing the colors too. As opposed to the Crossbow was one edition and one color.

My two cents.

So what you're saying is, they're going to remake it so many times that it won't be sought after at all because they are so popular as a basic nerf gun, that everyone has one. Even though that's pretty much how things are now already.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#34 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

The recon has no TV advertisements, and I haven't heard of it in any magazines. No publicity, a product needs some advertising for people to know about it, the word catch on, and for it to be worth the product costs.

Actually, I saw a commercial with the recon in it. It was for the general n-strike tatical rail or something. It wasn't directed towrd the longshot though.

....thats the second time I quoted you today :)

Edited by raw shrimp, 20 March 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#35 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

My two cents.

So what you're saying is, they're going to remake it so many times that it won't be sought after at all because they are so popular as a basic nerf gun, that everyone has one. Even though that's pretty much how things are now already.

Um, sure.
If you think about it a majority of the people on this site have a nitefinder and even multiples of this gun.(myself having four) Which is why I don't think it will ever become as rare or "legendary" as a Crossbow.

Edited by ChiliPepperFender, 20 March 2008 - 08:44 PM.

[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#36 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Okay, why the hell are we comparing NFs to Crossbows? Its a pistol and a primary. The NF would never be the next crossbow even if there was only one ever made.

As for what primary might be as sought after and efficient as the Crossbow I agree the BBB is the closest. It is rather simple, and although it's shell does not boast a stock, still is easy to make a steady shot due to the two handles.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#37 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

However the one that will come closest to it will probably be a tie between the LS and the NF (as the LS gets good ranges and is super cool and the NF has awesomenessisim for a pistol)

And the LS just might reach Crossbow standards, but only far, far in the future.

What is the deal with all the LS praising here. Sure, it has good range, sure it has a neat magazine system, but its accuracy is horrendous. It doesn't really matter that a super-modded LS can reach 100 feet flat if it can't hit accurately at that range, or at 75 feet, or at 50 feet, or, in some cases, even at 25 feet. No sir, I say the Longshot will go down in Nerf history as the beginning of an era in Nerf blasters that have far more complex designs. Most of these blasters will be difficult to modify, granted, some may become popular because the hard work will pay off in performance, but the Longshot, I think it falls in with the majority, the ones that get good to mediocre performance, often with fatal flaws, good to mediocre won't be good enough for the work people will put into these blasters, they'll want excellent performance. So, will the LS ever even achieve near-Crossbow fame? I say when hell freezes over. The Crossbow is a classic not because it has the best performance, but because for the amount of work you put into modifying it compared to the performance of the modified Crossbow. I say leave the Crossbow be, let it have its own spot in Nerf history, if any blaster comes close or passes the Crossbow in fame or popularity we should just appreciate that we even have that blaster, we shouldn't put the two blasters side by side and scrutinize every little detail to determine if the new blaster has really met the Crossbow standards.

Edited by Blasphemy, 20 March 2008 - 09:52 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#38 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Okay, why the hell are we comparing NFs to Crossbows? Its a pistol and a primary. The NF would never be the next crossbow even if there was only one ever made.

He means in nostalgia/reliability/modding potential, etc. I think it's a fair comparison.

#39 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Whatever happened to the Doomsayer?
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#40 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:15 AM

The Razorbeast has been twisted into the Vulcan, the LnL the Nitefinder, the Blastfire the Hornet, and the Ripsaw the Buzzsaw. But, honestly, the Crossbow is unique. And the LS just might reach Crossbow standards, but only far, far in the future.

I wouldn't call a single shot springer "unique." It's just that there hasn't really been another large spring gun that has been as good both performance- and comfort-wise. Also, I don't see any similarities between the RzB and Vulcan besides that they're both autos and use chains. So what? The Rototrack and Chainblazer were chain-fed manual guns like the RzB; the Vulcan is not. I guess they're somewhat similar only because they're both autos and use chains, but in my opinion saying the Vulcan is a rehashed Razorbeast is a stretch.

And the NF is not, contrary to popular belief, just a rereleased Lock 'n Load. At least in my opinion. There have probably been lots of other simple spring pistols that have come out since the L'nL (but I'm too lazy to look any up), and there were others before the L'nL that were identical internally. The Monoblast and TTG come to mind.

The Crossbow is a classic not because it has the best performance, but because for the amount of work you put into modifying it compared to the performance of the modified Crossbow.

I disagree. Crossbows from what I've seen in wars are great guns, but most of those had a LOT of work put into them. Most guns don't absolutely need reinforcement to be battle-worthy but Crossbows do. Just check out rawray's Crossbow in the mods section. The plunger needs reinforced, the plunger head may need epoxied on or have a larger screw put in it, the area around the plunger tube must be reinforced. Then of course there's the necessary barrel relocation and choosing the right barrel for the gun. I agree that most people don't love them because they're amazing performance-wise, but it's certainly not because they're easy to mod; otherwise everyone would be using Big Blasts.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 21 March 2008 - 12:25 AM.

SexD Warves

#41 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

My two cents.

Um, sure.
If you think about it a majority of the people on this site have a nitefinder and even multiples of this gun.(myself having four) Which is why I don't think it will ever become as rare or "legendary" as a Crossbow.

Am I the only person on this board that doesn't have a NF?

And the LS just might reach Crossbow standards, but only far, far in the future.

What is the deal with all the LS praising here. Sure, it has good range, sure it has a neat magazine system, but its accuracy is horrendous. It doesn't really matter that a super-modded LS can reach 100 feet flat if it can't hit accurately at that range, or at 75 feet, or at 50 feet, or, in some cases, even at 25 feet. No sir, I say the Longshot will go down in Nerf history as the beginning of an era in Nerf blasters that have far more complex designs. Most of these blasters will be difficult to modify, granted, some may become popular because the hard work will pay off in performance, but the Longshot, I think it falls in with the majority, the ones that get good to mediocre performance, often with fatal flaws, good to mediocre won't be good enough for the work people will put into these blasters, they'll want excellent performance. So, will the LS ever even achieve near-Crossbow fame? I say when hell freezes over. The Crossbow is a classic not because it has the best performance, but because for the amount of work you put into modifying it compared to the performance of the modified Crossbow. I say leave the Crossbow be, let it have its own spot in Nerf history, if any blaster comes close or passes the Crossbow in fame or popularity we should just appreciate that we even have that blaster, we shouldn't put the two blasters side by side and scrutinize every little detail to determine if the new blaster has really met the Crossbow standards.

Once again I am left alone with the fact that I am the only person here that has a accurate LS, For christs sake put a freaking PETG on there and the accuracy is incredible!

Edited by pulletman, 21 March 2008 - 05:24 AM.

i'm retarded

#42 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

Once again I am left alone with the fact that I am the only person here that has a accurate LS, For christs sake put a freaking PETG on there and the accuracy is incredible!

a. What is the range?
b. Do you use stefans or modded streamlines?

Edited by Eboreg, 21 March 2008 - 07:05 AM.

Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#43 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

a. What is the range?
b. Do you use stefans or modded streamlines?

About an average of 98ft (accurate to about 85-95 feet)
And I use slingshot stefans all the way.

i'm retarded

#44 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Your gun is accurate to an average of 90 ft with an average range of 98? Wow, the deffinition of accurate is really being stretched here.

#45 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

I think that the Nite Finder will someday be the must have sidearm out there. I have 3 (all modded). The reason they always have different editions of the Nite Finder is simply to increase sales (they do this a lot becouase my Nite Finder's are all differnent colors).

EDIT: I have a major correction to make. There is a new gun coming out ( as some of you may know) in fall of this year. Its called the Vulcan and is an N-strike blaster. It is Battery powered and fully automatic. This is the first nerf gun to be battery powered. Depending onn severall factors, this gun could be the new god of all guns or a big flop.

Edited by durka durka, 21 March 2008 - 08:51 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#46 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Your gun is accurate to an average of 90 ft with an average range of 98? Wow, the deffinition of accurate is really being stretched here.

Fuck it, I'm not gonna get into a little flame war with the entire board again.
But I do not believe the doomsayer will be that sought out, being its whole breaks very quickly thing.

i'm retarded

#47 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

One stange thing it that the MAv seems to be one of the most popular nerf guns out there, good evidence is the number of "why does my mav not work?" threads over at NerfHQ. However most nerfer's on this board agree that the mav has limited potential. Popularity is not a good judgement of "legend ness".

Because of the recon inverted plunger design, I also think this will reduce it's future legacy. As stated BBB seems to be a decent choice, of course that gun has been around for a long time (re released).

#48 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

The Recon sucks dude. A stock Nitefinder can get better ranges. I tried using it at ECNO in the 2 Siege rounds. Its a useless POS, thats good for indoor wars. But thats stretching it too far.

A Big Blast may be a "Crossbow of the future". Easy to mod, easy to take care of, and it gets GREAT ranges.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#49 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I agree that the Big Blast qualifies, mine is pure amazing.
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#50 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

How much are those Big Blasts?
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users