Photo

Nonstandard Game Types - Ideas, Rules, Etc.

How to Have FUN-fun at a Nerf War

78 replies to this topic

#76 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

I can see where some people would find that to be a problem. To me, that sounds like a fun situation. Yes, you are fighting a losing battle, but how long can you survive?

The longer you survive the more tedious it is for the other team. There is no sense of danger or excitment for them. Generally half of them just loose interest and a small contingent who are actualy willing to run you down finish the job, or they all call for the game to end.

I'm not projecting here, I'm speaking from experience as I've run a few similar rounds. I just think it works much better in smaller wars. If you REALLY want a "me against the world" scenario, run a small hvz game in an indoor facility.

VACC's absolutely right. We had a kid who was the last remaining survivor of a team and everybody got sick of him hiding in stair wells waiting for somebody to come around a corner. It wasn't in a viral type setting, but it is still very annoying to hunt down the last player. In the viral scenario, the last person usually went "hunting" for other players, not just trying to survive, but I can see where it could be a problem.

I see this game type being extremely fun, but as soon as someone unleashes a few mortars, the rain of foam would be game breaking.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have yet to see a "mortar" be anywhere near anything effective in an actual NERF war. Any NERFer with the slightest amount of experience isn't going to clump together with other NERFers.

Maybe for larger wars you could have multiple teams. It would make the rounds long as hell, but the problems that Vacc defined would be less likely to happen.

I don't see how this would make it any better. Once one team was eliminated, you would just have two or three bigger teams and have the same problem.

I reccomend this for small wars (definitely not more than 15, but even more than 10 might be pushing it). But as far as being a "route" at least twice I was the only player left on my team and ended up winning.

But part of that is just because I'm me. In our first round of team slayer (3/15) it was 4 vs. 4 and I fired 12 shots, nine hit their target. I got nine of the twelve "kills" with a 75% hit rate. Man, I love my SM1500!

#77 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

But part of that is just because I'm me. In our first round of team slayer (3/15) it was 4 vs. 4 and I fired 12 shots, nine hit their target. I got nine of the twelve "kills" with a 75% hit rate. Man, I love my SM1500!

I don't want to derail this topic, but it sounds like the people you nerf with are terrible. At the proper range, everybody misses, and unless you can shoot accurately in opposite directions simultaniously, numbers should, more often than not, prevail.

Domination is entertaining, but competition is much more exciting. Too bad your all the way out there in SLC.

#78 WuLongTi

WuLongTi

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Hi, Nooby here. Sorry to dig up old threads, wasn't sure where all this would fit or if I should create a new post...

I've been LARPing for ages now and I've decided to get back into it. That said, I really wanted to do something new, rather than the old fantasy type. I really wanted to find a LARP with a sci-fi theme and made use of NERF weapons. I really couldn't find anything out there at all, much less in my area. So I've decided that I'm just going to have to come up with my own.

Now, I'm pretty new to the NERF thing so I could use a lot of help with the combat systems and weapon requirements from some grizzled veterans.

My objective is to develop a system that will make use of NERF weapons, high-end boffer swords, armor, magic and run on as few rules as possible. (Firm believer in KISS) I also want this LARP to be attractive to folks that do not have previous LARP exp and can jump in with a low learning curve.

The setting of the LARP is kinda like Shadow Run or Rifts where you have a "not-too-distant-future" set up with some Psionics and some elves and trolls running around. Ultimately this system should allow for Legolas vs Snake Eyes vs a T-800. This game will not, however, have a whole lot of political role playing or character driven stuff... it's mostly going to be combat in costumes. I want this LARP to be more like Halo than Final Fantasy

Right now this is all in the development stage and I'm looking for help. I know that if I created a rule system around the NERF guns and opened up the game without help from you veterans, then someone could show up and completely break the game because I didn't know about Stefens or a singled Titan or something.

If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

#79 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

Start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users