In Response To Green Riptide

Because the other topic got closed.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Heres a fun little logic puzzle that I found when I searched for "IQ quiz" on Google. If it takes you less than 10 min, and you don't look the answer up, consider yourself very intelligent gifted at solving logic puzzles. It took me a little over 20 min, a pen, and the backside of a napkin.

* There are 5 houses in 5 different colors
* In each house lives a person with a different nationality
* These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet
* No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink.

Here's the question: Who owns the fish?

1. The Brit lives in a red house
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets
3. The Dane drinks tea
4. The green house is on the left of the white house
5. The green house owner drinks coffee
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
8. The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house
10. The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill
12. The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer
13. The German smokes Prince
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
15. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water

well, here, lemme walk you through how I got to that conclusion.

* There are 5 houses in 5 different colors
* In each house lives a person with a different nationality
* These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet
* No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink.

Here's the question: Who owns the fish?

4. The green house is on the left of the white house
8. The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
15. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water

It is never specified that the houses are in a row, or even anywhere near each other. It seems natural to assume they are in a row, but all of the clues would also work if the houses were in an X formation. Even if they are in a row, which end is the "first" end? Also, it is inferable but not directly stated that the "persons of different nationality" in the 5 houses are the owners of the houses. As for 15, unless we're talking about some bizarre settlement with only 5 houses, there are bound to be more neighbors- besides, since we've already established that the houses aren't stated to be in a row, neighbor could mean front, back, or across the street. Furthermore, it was never specified that the 5 people we're talking about were men, so all of the clues directing you to "the man who drinks/smokes/owns X" could theoretically be referring to a male neighbor besides the five mentioned who also happens to use said product/ own said pet.

Wow, golly gee I never thought about it that way! What if the houses were on islands, or maybe they're all in the air!!!!

You really just piss me off. The point of a logic puzzle isn't to pick it apart, and think up a bunch of situations that make it "unsolvable". Just because you think it cant be solved, doesn't mean that it's impossible. This puzzle IS solvable, when you don't automatically assume that there must be some kind of loophole, or some kind of trick.

--------------------------------------------------------
Here are some facts about it, that would normally be assumed, and not have to be eplained. But, since you needed some explaining, I'll lay it out for you.

The people ARE all men. The houses ARE in a row. The houses ARE close to one another. The men of different nationalities DO own the houses being mentioned. It makes NO difference what end is first. We ARE actually talking about "some bizarre settlement of only five houses."

Usually in logic puzzles, if you think about the problem, facts that were given, and the facts that are assumed, it will work out. If there is absolutely no solution that you can think of with the normally assumed facts, then thinking of different, odd situations is appropriate.

Not in this case.

(The other topic is this one- http://nerfhaven.com...opic=10832&st=0 )

Edited by DarkInfection, 21 February 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Uh, buddy?

Nobody gives a shit.
SexD Warves

#3 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Wow that IQtest.com wasted an hour of my life, it costs ten freakin' bucks to see your score!

Oh, and it's the swede.

I can't explain
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#4 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

It is supposed to take 10 minutes, you get a free e-mail with your score, and it's the German.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#5 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

I was exagerating a little, maybe 1/2 hour. There were 38 questions and it wanted $9.98
Maybe It's a new website.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

Scotch - you entered your email on the site. Your score was emailed to you.

I don't like to claim to be a prophet, but I see this thread being closed...

#7 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

I was exagerating a little, maybe 1/2 hour. There were 38 questions and it wanted $9.98
Maybe It's a new website.

Then you must've gotten a really low score, 'cause it reduces it after 13 minutes.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#8 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

NerfMonkey- I do.

To everybody else- I didn't make this thread to discuss the stupid IQtest website.

(Just on a side note- If you log out, and log back in to the website, there should be a list of links on the page that first comes up, the top link says "view your score" If you click that, it will show you your score, and under that will be the "full intelligence profile" offer.)

Edited by DarkInfection, 21 February 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

NerfMonkey- I do.

No one else does. We have PM for a reason. Use it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

Seriously people, ask yourselves this question...who cares?

If PMs won't work for anyone regarding closed topics, let me know.

I can fix it.

*CLOSED*
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users