Photo

Knex Gun Site Looking For Tips

10 replies to this topic

#1 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

Back in 2006 I took a look at this site and I thought the whole concept was pretty cool. The idea of customizing really got me interested. I went out and got me a NiteFinder and modded it up, and attempted to make stefans (failed horribly though).

Well after messing around with Nerf for a while, I came across some other kind of guns that were made out of Knex. On a site called Instructables people were making lots of them, and I quickly became obsessed. As the Knex gunning community grew larger, other members of the site started getting annoyed with the things. So a couple of our guys by the names Mepain and Crestind made a website called KnexInnovation.com

It's been around for a while and the site is gaining popularity with the Knex people of Instructables. So I think it would kick ass to be as popular as Nerf Haven. And I'd also like to be able to do Knex wars eventually. So I was wondering, how did Nerf Haven get to be as popular as it is? How did it all start and how did it's members come to hear of the site?
Here are a few examples of the gun's we've made.

http://video.google....877427381&hl=en
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Sxou3hX_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFcVg923ws
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by oodalumps, 08 February 2008 - 09:33 PM.

#2 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

First of all, a tip: Cxwq, Groove, and VACC are the founders/owners of the forum, so those would be the best three people to talk to (although I haven't seen Cxwq around in a while).

VACC in particular, as I understand it, has been a part of the Nerf Internet Community (NIC) since the beginning. Which, by the way, extends back much farther than this forum, or even the forums that came before it...back to before there even were internet forums.

As far as quality, I would have to say that that is all thanks to our moderators, including the previously mentioned three, and others like The Infinite Shindig, One Man Clan, Pineapple, and others. Actually, when the founders started this site, it was pretty much the same as you: they wanted a "haven" (thus: NerfHaven) from the crap on other forums. The Founders, and Ambassadors (aka moderators) hold the members here to a strict set of rules (see out Code of Conduct) and heavily enforce them: the ban button gets some heavy use here (not complaining, though).

As far as how people find the site, it varies. I think a lot of people find out about Nerf from word-of-mouth, from the fair few people who randomly or semi-randomly stumble upon the NIC. We recently got a lot of coverage from gaming sites thanks to Forsaken_Angel's Longshot-to-Lancer (from Gears of War) modification. I'm not sure how many new members that actually netted us, but it at least exposed people to the forum...that modifications topic has gotten over 70,000 views already!

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#3 raw shrimp

raw shrimp

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

I don't know if this helps or not, but I started modding because I read the DO NOT MODIFY DART OR DART BLASTER warning on a nerf gun. Then I googled it and then I found my self here. So tell k'nex to put a warning label to not make them into weapons.

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:00 AM

The knex guns on instructables are pretty cool, but why did you post so many pictures?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

I'm not sure this site can take credit for the popularity of the sport, or if it's really the other way around. More than anything else the hobby itself needs to be capable of attracting new people on its own. Hasbro, especially over the past few years, has done a really good job of providing us with a very interesting product that practically begs to be modified, and without that we don't have anything.

As far as our internet community goes, we've been very fortunate to have a few founding members (Stefan, Hal, and Kevin) who were very savvy guys who knew how to take advantage of internet community tools (list serves and forums particularly) from a very early stage. Combine that with the guys, I included, who have just stuck around and put a lot of time and effort into promoting and trying to lend credibility to the sport and you get a cult community that blossoms into something more. This site, in particular, benefited greatly from having a combination of those two types of people founding it. This combination of top quality web development and (though this sounds comical) "NIC credibility" allowed us to garner most of the best minds interested in the sport. Once you have those guys creating the best content around, people will have no choice but to come to you for everything your hobby has to offer. I mean, look at the Forsaken_Angel's Longshot-to-Lancer Mod referenced by Jwasko, or any of Captain Slug's Topics (check out from post 96 on) and you can see why we were so eager to make these guys a part of our staff.

My advice would be to find out what makes your hobby intriguing and to find the committed and talented personnel to explore that. If you have those guys and give them an environment that promotes coherent and productive group discussion, you'll be on your way.

VACC
~Rules Bartertown!~

#6 ltvills

ltvills

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

i like the idea but there are some flaws with it ...

1. small bullets and low range(in most cases) so wars would be indoor

2. kne'x not that stable like if u drop it u have to rebuild ? so that means no taps during war?

3. different bullets? for different guns

4. some of the more powerful guns are to strong(brakes cd) or just silly

Edited by ltvills, 08 February 2008 - 03:48 PM.

Retired Australian Nerfer Due To University
=[

#7 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

...(Stefan, Hal, and Kevin)...

How long ago was the first major Nerf site started? And how long ago did Stefan make the Stefans (did he actually found the first site?)? I'm always interested in learning about the "history" of the NIC.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your topic. I think those Knex guns are pretty neat. I agree that the idea of warring with them would be difficult, but maybe rebuilding guns mid-war would become some sort of essential skill.

Good luck with your site!
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#8 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Holy mother fricken crap i want a SR-v1n Knex gun! Thats amazing!
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#9 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

I started modding because I read the DO NOT MODIFY DART OR DART BLASTER warning on a nerf gun.

added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#10 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks.

VACC
~Rules Bartertown!~

We made our site open to all Knex creations, not just guns (guns are the most popular part though). It's a shame Knex isn't as popular as other building sets. But the hobby really took off on Instructables, so I imagine it will attract others. We've got some talented and dedicated people running the site and providing material, so I'm grateful for that.

i like the idea but there are some flaws with it ...

The good guns have surprisingly far range (look at the second video). I tried a Knex war a long time ago in my basement. It took me 2 hours to patch up the dents in the walls, so I'm sure battles would have to be outside.
Knex guns can be made as sturdy as they need to be. A few guns I have could be thrown to the floor and not break.
Knex guns shoot Knex pieces, and it's a nice thing too because ammo would be easy to obtain and when building a new gun, you can build it out of the ammo and pieces from the old gun.
And in the case of a Knex war, ridiculously powerful guns will be regulated of course. Don't want any injuries.

Edited by oodalumps, 08 February 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#11 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

I both nerf and work with K'nex. Currently, I mostly build coasters, and am a member of the SSC community. I do believe that I can give some concepts for use. I just can't build any guns due to a five foot flyer taking over my attic. Also, I suggest you check out the 12 piece knex gun. I got 20 feet out of two rubberbands. And if you were to look into some of the spring nerf guns here, like the snap, and figure out how to replace air compression with straight pushing of the rod. I'm thinking of doing a nerf to knex conversion of a NiteFinder.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users