Photo

A New Longshot Mod

Arius over at HQ wanted someone to post his mod up here.

49 replies to this topic

#1 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

First off I have to say that this is not my mod, Arius over at NerfHQ did this and since his account isnt validated yet he wanted someone else to post this for him.

Please bear in mind that this gun is the culmination of an ASS load of work, and it's my baby. Please don't take it lightly, as it enables people to draw blood if your not careful. (And you use a HARD stefan.)

With out further adieu...

Posted Image

This is my longshot.

Posted Image

That is a good picture of the metal parts of the bolt sled. To do this, you first lay out the plastic bolt sled on sheet metal (nothing flimsy, it should bend, but not too easily) and trace of the two "L" shaped parts.

Posted Image

You can see where to cut off the plastic parts. (It looks like TOTAL crap, I took these this morning after i gorilla glued it together. I have a war tonight, I wanted the extra support.) I have a metal rod in there for a bolt, I lost the original, it's an optional thing....

Posted Image

I'm assuming that you're all smart enough to know to drill holes, and use the stock metal post form the top of the breech to attach your shiny new metal bits. When its all reassembled, it should look like that.

The two most important parts are the next two. PAY ATTENTION!

If you do not leave the dart tooth in, it will not play nice with a clip, and you'll be a sad panda. LEAVE IT IN! However, you run into the problem of not having the plastic bits that push the dart tooth out of the way, so we have to replicate it.

Step 1:

Posted Image

First, dremel flat the guide ridges in the inner case (both sides). If you don't the metal will scrape it up, and damage all kinds of stuff.

Second, you need to remove a chunk of the "sleeve" that on the end of the chamber thusly:

Posted Image

This will become obvious later.

Step 2:

The new metal bolt slide should go AROUND both sides of the chamber. you need to add a small piece of plastic to the inside of the left "L" to push the dart tooth out of the way.

Posted Image

This needs to be played by ear, but when you do get it attached, I'd start with hot glue, and then slide the bolt back and forth, to make sure it moved the dart tooth ALL THE WAY out f the way. Once you're SURE it works, epoxy or gorilla glue. It's the reason mine looks so fugly. Believe me tho, if this thing falls off, you have to disassemble the whole thing just to fix it, and you'll want to kick yourself.

Step 3:

MAKE A BETTER CATCH PLATE!!!

Posted Image

I have NO idea where that spring came from, or what it was. I found it lying in the middle of a hall, in my school, and picked it up on impulse. (I'm partial to spring guns, but that's a me thing.)

You need to make your spring there bigger, or you will have the gun misfire, and break the internals.

After all this, you can reassemble! I have more pics, just for demonstration purposes, and because you guys like them, right!?

Posted Image

That is the gun, sans plunger assembly and bolt sled

Posted Image

That is my lack of a barrel, to illustrate for the dart question.

Posted Image

I liked the way the gun looked with the muzzle, so i dremeled out the inside, to make it not catch a dart, and put it in.

THAT'S IT!

To answer questions:

With the springs I have in it, I average about 150 feet. I took off the rail and stock, they bother me.

This is a VERY destructive mod to the gun, so only do it if you satisfy the following conditions: A) you are not DUMB. B) you ALREADY broke your bolt sled, and it needs to be repaired, i.e. resurrection. I can not stress enough how much it took for me to put this mod up here, as I tend to like to keep these things secret. PLEASE don't abuse my generosity!

Arius clames to get 150 feet out of this monster! If I still had my longshot I would hella do this.
But once again, this is not my mod, Arius over at NerfHQ did this!

Edited by rokor, 08 December 2007 - 07:52 PM.

"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#2 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

Nevermind

Edited by DarkInfection, 07 December 2007 - 06:37 PM.

#3 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Is it just me, or do the pictures not even show up?

You are right. I can't see any pictures at all.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#4 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

No, the pictures arent up yet. Im getting ready for a hockey game and I am eating dinner right now so I will have them up tomorrow morning if Im not as sick as I was this morning.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#5 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

The pictures dont show up for me either.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#6 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

There arent any pictures up today. They will be up in the morning.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#7 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:27 AM

Sounds promising, I can't wait to see the pictures. Yes, they're worth 1000 words, or at least more than what were provided there...

What was that about secret mods that I brought up...?

Now I have something to look forward to tomorrow morning! Other than a math review...
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#8 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

Ok well now I know how to use the picture thing but I think I need to use a different host next time. Arius used flickr so thats why. If I get my photobucket account working I will redo the pictures.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#9 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Try to make a direct link to a picture, and then put them in. Not as a link, its annoying as hell.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#10 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

Keef, I know how to do it but I dont think the Nerfhaven supports FlickR, so untill I get my photobucket account working I cant change the links. Il make a new account for photobucket right now so it should be up in about 20 minsutes.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#11 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Sorry for being so critical, but I doubt the fact that you're squeezing 150 feet out of a Longshot. What type/how many springs did you put in it.

Edited by Blasphemy, 08 December 2007 - 08:47 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#12 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

You right click the picture, click properties, and find the picture's URL, then post it here.

I'm not really sure of what you did anyways <.<
Timothy M-Lick <3

#13 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

I know exactly how to post the pictures but I dont think you can use FlickR on Nerfhaven. But anyways I have them working now, except before I previewed it there was a random picture of a cow at the top of the page. Dont know how that got there.

Edited by rokor, 08 December 2007 - 07:51 PM.

Talio in Shoutbox.

#14 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

150 feet? I don't believe you. :D
kthxbaisend

#15 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

Ohhhh, it makes the plunger head go back further, to get more air. Cocked, the plunger head goes back about 1/4 of the plunger tube.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#16 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

150 feet? I don't believe you. <_<

Rokor didn't even do this mod, Arius did. What did you do, just scroll to the bottom and see 150 feet and get all critical on him? If you actually read the mod he did a spring replacement and the plunger now goes further back allowing more air to propel the dart forward. I'm not trying to flame you but just read the mod before you post. Also thanks for posting this Rokor.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 09 December 2007 - 11:07 AM.

#17 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

150 feet? I don't believe you. <_<

Rokor didn't even do this mod, Arius did. What did you do, just scroll to the bottom and see 150 feet and get all critical on him? If you actually read the mod he did a spring replacement and the plunger now goes further back allowing more air to propel the dart forward. I'm not trying to flame you but just read the mod before you post. Also thanks for posting this Rokor.

No problem, and thanks for helping me with all the non-beleivers. But I have no idea if the 150 feet part is true as in I didnt do this mod and I dont even have a LS.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#18 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

150 feet is probably wrong, because a BNA, BBB, and Crossbow's plunger tube are bigger all around, and they don't get 150 sooo.... But its still a great idea! Could you also take a plastic and extend the plunger tube?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#19 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:48 AM

Keef, I guess it is possible but 1-you would need to get the dimensions perfect 2-you would need to shave down the shell, and 3-you would probably need to go threw a couple prototypes in the process. So all together I dont think it would be worth because of all the time and efort you would have to put in, oh yah and money. But thats just me. If you have a couple hours and 4 of 5 LongShots then you should try it. It would be fun I guess.
Talio in Shoutbox.

#20 Arius

Arius

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Guys, the darts used are longshot replacement darts. Yes the 150 IS accurate, and thank you for defending me to those who did. The reason is that the LS darts out of this gun (and it's the only gun I've observed this effect in) tend to "ride" the air A LOT more than they should. I can't tell you WHY they do it, and frankly I'd like them to stop because it confuses me, and makes it harder to aim at distance. It's NOT a regular weapon. It's as close to a nerf "loser rifle" as you're likely to get. As far as your comments on the BBB, I also own one and I can tell you that the plunger tube is actually SMALLER in one than in the longshot, so check your facts before you comment. The springs in it are a combo of the stock spring, another spring I picked up from god knows where (tougher than a handyman, but about the same length) and a third stock ratchetblast spring.

Any other questions?
Secrecy is a habit i'm trying to overcome....

#21 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Well Arius, I guess thats why you broke the plunger arm before(if thats what its called). How hard is it to cock since you have about an 80pound spring in there.

P.S Welcome!
Talio in Shoutbox.

#22 Arius

Arius

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

rockr, i needed to thank you personaly again for both defending me, and posting here.

It's hard to cock. It CAN'T have a stock at all it'll just colapse, or mover PVC out of the way if i brace it with that. I have to hold it against my chest, or use my feet and the ground to cock it. Like I said though, it's not a soldier's weapon. It's a loser rifle. What it lacks in ROF, it MORE than makes up for in range.

Also, I made a Hi-Cap mag for it, so i have about 14 shots too.

I've done a few more mods of this level, including making a sawtooth usable (no jamming, no misfiring, great range, etc...) and a clip-tek. I'll post a few of them now that my account here seems to be working.

Also, can I PLEASE have a bit more praise? it makes me feel all warm a fuzzy, like a kitten! <_<
Secrecy is a habit i'm trying to overcome....

#23 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

No problem, and I cant wait for those mods to come around here. And the account thing you had going on was just the long wait to be accepted into this great world of Haven, think of it like youve been accepted into Heaven. <_<.

And by the way, Im Yeaston at HQ.

Edited by rokor, 09 December 2007 - 02:54 PM.

Talio in Shoutbox.

#24 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

The write-up is nice and detailed, but the pics are a little vague/fuzzy. The bolt sled replacement is the best part of this mod in my opinion.

I'm also skeptical of the 150 ft. ranges, but the fact that you're using streamlines makes that claim more believable. Streamlines are somewhat inconsistant on range, depending on where you put the hole when you're loading it. putting the hole facing up would increase the aerodynamic lift of the dart, resulting in longer ranges.

I'd like to see this reinforcement mod combined with Angel's breech. That would truly be a beast.

Lastly, you spoke of this being a weapon for a sharpshooter, how's the accuracy? The longshot is generally not considered to be the most accurate weapon, which is why I would hesitate to use it at long ranges.

Very good mod, there were some things here that haven't been done before, I'm glad you've put it up.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#25 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

I dont think Angels breech would work with this mod because it doesnt really have a barrel.

Nevermind, it would work if you but a stub of the brass into the stock barrel, but then it would have a barrel. Im actually confusing myself in my mind. Maybe you guys will understand what Im trying to say.
Talio in Shoutbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users