Simple Trigger For Air Powered Homemades

6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

I have become familiar with these through my work and have begun testing them for use as a very simple trigger mechanism for homemades. So far I have only used them for triggering scalped blast chambers from semi-automatic guns, but I'm also going to see if they have a high enough internal flow rate to be used as a replacement for solenoid valves.

Operation
Posted Image
Posted Image

Configuration
1. Connect a Semi-Automatic blast chamber (one or multiples) to Port A
2. Connect a pump or air tank line to Port P
3. Leave Port EA unconnected to act as an exhaust
The above configuration will release the back pressure from the tubing to the blast chamber and cause it to fire. Once the valve is released to the previous state the blast chamber can repressurize from the air tank or pump.

Options
The model pictured above is a 3-port 2-position 3-way control valve with a toggle style switch. However, this type of valve comes in a very wide variety of trigger styles.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
They are snap action so they change states very quickly. For a trigger make sure to get one that has a spring return rather than a manual return so that you don't don't have to flip the switch back before the next shot.
Also, it's worth noting for this type of application you will only want to use models that have 1/8" NPT or #10-32 Fem. ports since it's easier to find fittings in that size. The fittings used in the above photo are 1/4" OD Instant Tube Fittings which are very easy to disconnect and reconnect.
And a model with a scfm of 6 or higher will work best and be less restrictive (allowing for a higher flow rate).

Price
These range in price from $14 to $24 depending on the options you're after. 4-Way, 2-Position, 5-Port Valves will also be usable provided you install a plug in the port that you do not wish to have an an exhaust. But the more ports these come with the more expensive they become.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 June 2007 - 06:35 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

So this is the valve to be used on the ABP I assume?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

Correct, and I just used one as a secondary trigger for "BOB"

Edit: Hmm, not anymore. Have to make my own.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 June 2007 - 06:45 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:38 PM

Correct, and I just used one as a secondary trigger for "BOB"

Yeah, I saw that and was like, what the hell? But now it makes sense. So is that the exact valve for the ABP, or are you using one you can attach a linkage to?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'm most likely going to use one of the variations of this style. Posted Image

#6 Cennipe

Cennipe

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

So the HPT will attach to "EA" and the small tank to "A" and the barrel to "P", so when you release the trigger, the HPT refills the small tank, and when you pull the trigger, it blocks off the HPT and lets the air in the small tank rush into the barrel at "P"? This would make it semi-auto, right, like the ABP?

Edited by Cennipe, 05 June 2007 - 04:52 PM.

"Man, a being in search of meaning" Pluto

My user name is pronounced "eat shit." I know that losing is looked down apon in nerf, but, what ever.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

UPDATE
Well, did some minimal tests and it's fairly obvious now that:
the flow rate on these valves is much too low to be usable as a trigger valve.
I'll have to work up a plan for making my own out of plastic tube.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 June 2007 - 06:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users