Photo

Nitefinder Modification Writeup

16 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Ok, so grab your NF and open it up. In this mod I "PPKed" it by cutting off the ammo holders and the light.

I am using a strong Home Depot spring, so I want a little reinforcement.

To deaden the sound a little bit I used this stuff called "Great Stuff", it is foam insulation that you spray on stuff.
The stuff really expands so you need to clean it up a bit after application.
Posted Image

Then I added brass ammo holders to where the batteries used to be.
Posted Image

Then I took the little orange circular piece to the plunger head and glued on a 1 inch piece of 17/32" brass. This piece of brass will act as a coupler for 9/16" brass barrels.

I used gorilla glue, which I highly recomend because it fills up the extra space too.

Here is the pluger tube with a 9/16" barrel over the 17/32" brass.
Posted Image

Here is the stronger spring I am talking about. Here it is compared to the grey/green NF spring and the blue/yellow NF sping.
Posted Image
I also had an extra O-ring and put that on, too.
Posted Image
Here is the completed plunger shaft.
Posted Image

Now simply reassemble the gun and you're good to go. Reassembling can be a little tricky because of how strong the industrial spring is, so I recomend getting someone to help you.

Now you have an interchangable barrel system for 9/16" brass! This gun also vacuum loads itself becasue of how the brass has so little friction.
The reload time is great!
Here is the final product.
Posted Image
Posted Image
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Nice mod. Ranges?
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#3 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

It's probably just me, but in the picture of the plunger, it seems as if the barrel is a tad bit crooked. But it's probably just me. Nice mod, I've yet to brass an NF. Like Flaming Hilt asked, ranges? Oh, and nice paintjob, Iv'e also still to paint an NF(grammar), or any other gun as a matter of fact. Lastly, did you have a problem with the plunger head hitting the circular piece held in by 3 pieces, sorry for bad description, but I've had this problem with every NF that I have since I take it out.

Edited by nube, 03 March 2007 - 04:15 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 6 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#4 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

What about other barrels, like PETG or CPVC?

#5 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

It's probably just me, but in the picture of the plunger, it seems as if the barrel is a tad bit crooked. But it's probably just me. Nice mod, I've yet to brass an NF. Like Flaming Hilt asked, ranges? Oh, and nice paintjob, Iv'e also still to paint an NF(grammar), or any other gun as a matter of fact. Lastly, did you have a problem with the plunger head hitting the circular piece held in by 3 pieces, sorry for bad description, but I've had this problem with every NF that I have since I take it out.

Yea that barrel may be crooked because that was an old pic. I'll get a pic up of the new one if I can.

The ranges are the best ranges I've gotten so with 5 NFs. The ranges are about 75' Flat in about 45-55 degrees.

Oh I got rid of that circular piece with the 3 small pieces. That blocks a ton of air. It's not necessary to use that at all.

I may be redoing the paintjob, not sure though.

Glad you like it.

Grenado- Well obvioulsy you can do it with other barrel material but I did it with brass.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#6 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

Nice Mod! I did a mod very simliar to yours instead I use a 1/2" cpvc coupler instead of brass. So now I have a breach loading Nitefinder that can shoot around 65-70 feet without bands! I love nitefinders. Great mod keep up the good work!
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#7 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

What a cool looking gun, I like the painjob and how it was cut down. I wanted to make one like this, and I did. Posted it in the Modifcations/Paintjobs thread. It looks better in person though.
I don't really understand your barrel assembly. In the picture of just the plunger and barrel, your barrel looks like a good size, but then in the picture of the whole gun, it looks like it's maybe an inch long. How does it work? You said the 17/32" acts as a coupler, so does it hold the 9/16" on there? But if it does, wouldn't it slide all around?

#8 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

What a cool looking gun, I like the painjob and how it was cut down. I wanted to make one like this, and I did. Posted it in the Modifcations/Paintjobs thread. It looks better in person though.
I don't really understand your barrel assembly. In the picture of just the plunger and barrel, your barrel looks like a good size, but then in the picture of the whole gun, it looks like it's maybe an inch long. How does it work? You said the 17/32" acts as a coupler, so does it hold the 9/16" on there? But if it does, wouldn't it slide all around?

In the picture of the whole gun. The barrel is not on. Yea the 17/32" brass acts as a coupler and is permantly glued onto the pluger, that's what you are seeing in the "whole gun picture".

I used a pipecuuter to cut the brass barrels and then widened it slighlty so it fits really tight on the 17/32" brass. It doesn't move at all.

EDIT- I'm gonna add some more pics to show a few more things I added today to make the gun more effective.

Edited by nerfer34, 04 March 2007 - 08:07 PM.

#9 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

The darts or stephans need to be inch too right ? How is a regular dart gonna fit in that little stubby one inch barrel?
I love imports.
DarkShrimp is the next Piney.
"Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity is forever."

#10 mp130

mp130

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

he just said that the "final product" pictures don't have the barrel on them. If you look at the full plunger picture, you can see the barrel is much longer.

Anyway, how did you cover up the hole where you cut off the dart holders and laser? What I did was stick a packing peanut in the space and put hot glue over it. But it looks and feels all funky.
QUOTE(DJRayza @ May 2 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post
the range is to that of a midget hurling a small cow

#11 Shorty

Shorty

• Banned
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

he just said that the "final product" pictures don't have the barrel on them. If you look at the full plunger picture, you can see the barrel is much longer.

Anyway, how did you cover up the hole where you cut off the dart holders and laser? What I did was stick a packing peanut in the space and put hot glue over it. But it looks and feels all funky.

Oh thanks :P
I love imports.
DarkShrimp is the next Piney.
"Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity is forever."

#12 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

Anyway, how did you cover up the hole where you cut off the dart holders and laser?

If you look real close you with notice he covered it with electric tape ,but you have to look closely at the pic to see the tape.

Side Note If I can acrossed as a know it all I didnt mean to sound like that at all.
Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

#13 Ballhead

Ballhead

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Does the barrel sag a little because of how you took off the blue part that holds the barrel at the front of the gun? and also, did you cover up the hole left over from hacking the gun apart like that? if so what did you use?

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

Does the barrel sag a little because of how you took off the blue part that holds the barrel at the front of the gun? and also, did you cover up the hole left over from hacking the gun apart like that? if so what did you use?

This topic is a bit old, but the question is legit, so...

Of course, the barrel might sag, it will lose the support that the blue front pieces provide, but the modification is primarily a cosmetic one (the "PPK" mod, as some call it), so provision must be made in other ways to support and reinforce the barrel. Most just use a coupling mechanism (in Nerfer34's case it's nested brass).

Most modifiers leave that big 'ol hole after hackin' the "laser" off, as is. Some have used plastic scraps, or epoxy, or caulking (don't use caulking...), but Carrtoon has one of the nicest "PPK" modded NF's I've seen...

Posted Image

Can you believe he filled the holes with HOT GLUE? Lots of it. Then he ground down/ finished/ "polished" the glue smooth. Very clean.

Hope you're inspired to do one of your own!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

To add to what Piney said...

I actually can't believe I didn't show a pic of how I covered the hole up. I filled it with Greatstuff(expanding foam) and then sanded/cut it to look good, then just painted right on it.

If I were to do this mod again I would have probably used JB 2 part epoxy, but the glue I used(which I think was gorrilla then plumbers goop) hasn't broke yet.

#16 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

Might as well add my PPK. I hot glued in cardboard first, then added JB weld and sanded it down. I put a piece of wax paper between the halves so that the gun could still be opened.

Posted Image
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#17 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

Is that an aluminum barrel? Props. Is it the Alloy 6063 part on McMaster?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users