Glock-like Compact Sidearm

Using a Crossfire and very few materials

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sixo

Sixo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

First, and most importantly, when looking over this mod and write up, bear in mind that the main goals here were to make as compact of a sidearm as possible with the least amount of materials/complications. I say this because I really did not have any legitimate materials on hand when I went to make this, so I just made do with whatever I had lying around. Enjoy.

First, cut off the ammo holders and remove the slider like so:
Posted Image

Then, take the female part of the plunger and cut a small part off the front and replace it with 1/2" pvc that is of the same length so the total length of the male part is the same as before.
Posted Image

Next, cut a niche on opposite sides of the 1/2" pvc so that they are in accordance with the existing crevices. In other words, cut the pvc in such a way that the piece of pipe can fit in nicely with the track on the inside of the casing.
Posted Image

For the barrel, I just used a crayola barrel, and I also had no O-rings so I just used e-tape for a seal. Although you don't see it in the pic, there is also tape over the back end with a small hole punched in it to tighten up the air flow.
Posted Image

Insert sexual innuendo here. Whoops, I mean lube up the shaft and stick it in. Super glue the front end of the barrel to the inside part of the casing where it should fit perfectly/rest snugly.
Posted Image

Close it up and it'll look like this.
Posted Image

As you can see, I also made slightly smaller stefans to use with this, just because everything about it is so tiny. Also, in the picture, I haven't put on the zip tie yet, but for those of you who can't figure it out, just run it through that slot on the top in front of the orange part that sticks up. This will serve as your means to cock the gun while maintaining its compact size. Just as a disclaimer, this gun is really best for people like me i.e. people with tiny hands. Seeing as the ultimate goal here was to make a powerful sidearm as small as possible, this is not recommended for those of you who have dustbins for hands.
And for those of you wondering why I didn't just take off the slider and put on the zip tie: I wanted a better barrel (and one without air restrictors, for that matter) for a little more distance. Also, the original male part of the plunger had that retarded arrow like shape to the front of it and I didn't want anything sticking out of the front of the gun. Cutting that part off would have just made that part of the plunger too short and the darts still would have been sticking way out the front because I couldnt remove the barrel stem and restrictor, so I would be using only micros. This way, I can use either stefans or micros without anything sticking out of the front. Again, enjoy-

-Sixo
"Behind this mask, there is more than flesh. There is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

What are the ranges? Looks like the classic LnL ("Lock'n Load" for newbs), except a more modern version. Someone else did something called a Crossfinder(integration of Crossfire and Nitefinder) but it had the NF Locker thing, and a PVC extended barrel so it was bigger in width. I'm trying to decide which one to do because i have a crossfire that i want to do something with, so thats why I asked for the ranges. However, in any case very nice mod!

~Shadow~
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#3 Sixo

Sixo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Shadow. I won't lie to you and exaggerate the ranges like plenty of people do on these boards (there's nothing I hate more); my version of this mod gets around 30 feet tops, and is effective (in terms of accuracy) around 25 feet. Should you acquire an O-ring for a better seal, or perhaps some brass for the barrel, you might be able to squeeze another 10 feet or so out of it. I understand that these ranges aren't incredible, but then again the intended use for this is, after all, as a sidearm, and a tiny one at that. Hope this helps-

-Sixo
"Behind this mask, there is more than flesh. There is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."

#4 RaZeR ShArP

RaZeR ShArP

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Check out the thread at the "HQ called World's smallest Crossfire. It's under mods. That can give you a hint about how to squeeze a bit more range out of it.

-Sharpie
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

#5 Sixo

Sixo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

Ah, that's pretty sweet Sharpie, and thanks for the tip. I was wondering though, how do you cock that?

#6 RaZeR ShArP

RaZeR ShArP

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

I grab that little orange tab with my finger and pull it back. I have strong fingers because I play guitar. There are other ways of cocking it, though.
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

#7 rotoryfan

rotoryfan

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

hm. interesting. shadow's cf got at least 40' at a slight (see: 10 degree) angle. just drive right through the barrel to get the restrictors out. works like a charm.
razorbeast,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended.  Your account will not be functional until Jun 23 2033, 10:41 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Awsome.

#8 Sixo

Sixo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Hey just a quick update (and i really didn't feel that an entirely new write-up was necessary for this)-
I decided the zip tie was too boring for a means to cock the gun, so sacrificing a little bit of compact-ness, i took the sliding cocker of the mav, cut it down at an angle, and then cut off the tabs on the bottom part of the piece so that the entire thing could fit on the gun flat while still using the original horizontal pin to cock the gun.

You could also keep the tabs on to keep the cocker more stable (tuck the tabs into the thin track that is already existing on the gun), but if you did that, you would have to drill holes in the cocker and pass something new horizontally through it to catch on the plunger. By doing so, the entire cocking piece would not be lying flat on the gun, and i didn't like that, so i did it like this and just settled for it being a little loose.

It looks pretty nice cosmetically too, I'll probably paint it too so the colors don't look retarded and so it doesnt say "NER" on the side of my gun (cutting down the cocking mechanism ditched the "F"). Here it is:

Posted Image

Hope you all like it-

-Sixo

#9 Nero121

Nero121

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

Very nice. I like it a lot. You have two (the first gun is red, the second is blue)?

#10 Sixo

Sixo

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thank you. Yup, I finally got some cash so I went out and bought another Crossfire and just used the original plunger/seal/barrel and cut off that pointy front part and the rest of the frame. I drilled out the air restrictors and barrel stem, too. It's awfully loud now though, I must say.

#11 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:50 AM

Does anyone have any records of this being done before? This my friend is genius. But I still think you can do more to it but w/e its good as is from what I can see. Very creative!
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#12 tennis8668

tennis8668

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Excellent; I've been looking for a way to remove the AR from the CrossFire. So you're saying all you have to do is drill through the end of the barrel (the place you insert the dart) and i can simply pop out the AR and glue the thing back together?

#13 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

G-bus christ. This is over two years old. Check the dates. The original poster hasn't been active in months.

Use the directory and the search function for AR removal.
http://nerfhaven.com...50&hl=crossfire
This is the directory with "crossfire" highlighted. Scroll down to find it. There are several AR removal writeups.

Welcome to the Haven.
Teehee.

#14 tennis8668

tennis8668

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

G-bus christ. This is over two years old. Check the dates. The original poster hasn't been active in months.

Use the directory and the search function for AR removal.
http://nerfhaven.com...50&hl=crossfire
This is the directory with "crossfire" highlighted. Scroll down to find it. There are several AR removal writeups.

Welcome to the Haven.

Wow I can't believe I just necromanced. Sorry :( I haven't posted on a forum in a while... Thanks for the welcome and the links :)

#15 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

Okay, we let this one go, since you recognized a necro when you see one.

Main thing is, oftentimes the original posters/ last posters are long gone to answer any questions, so Splitz' idea of going to the mod directory is right - on.

I'll close this in case a noobie-doobie wants to join the flame party.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users