Grammaton Cleric's Sidearm

Homemade spring/plunger powered handgun

167 replies to this topic

#1 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

If you don`t know what I mean by Grammaton...shame on you and go watch Equilibrium right now!

I`ve been wanting to build a good spring powered pistol for a long while now. I gave it a go a while back with rubber bands as the propulsive force and had limited success. With that pistol though I was working within a constrained space to keep a 1:1 scale to typical handgun proportions. After that I realized that to build a plunger based pistol would require a reasonably long gun.

The other night I was watching Equilibrium for the 1457th time and it dawned on me to model a homemade after the Grammaton's modified 92s. The long barrel made for a long frame that I could pack a long enough plunger into to get good performance. Below is a image of the Grammaton Berretta 92 from the movie.

Posted Image

And here is my PVC incarnation of it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I dub it the Grammaton Nerf Sidearm or 'GNS' for short

So, you’re probably saying "enough already, show me the guts". Well here you go.

Posted Image

There is no new technology in this pistol. Basically it is just a nitefinder built out of PVC. It uses the same type of catch and trigger mechanism that you find in every Nerf Brand spring gun. It’s about as simple as you can get and it was pretty easy to craft out of every day supplies. Like most of my other homemades, this pistol is made out of mostly PVC, some balsa for non-loadbearing endcaps, and music wire. I introduced aluminum for the trigger plate. This piece was pretty complex and had to take a large compressive force so metal seemed to be the logical choice. Like the FAR the GNS is assembled with screws allowing it to be fully disassembled with just a screwdriver.

Component Description

Frame
Similar to a real handgun the pistol grip, trigger guard, and lower part of the frame are all one piece. The trigger mechanism is attached to the upper portion of the frame rather than the lower. The lower portion just covers the mechanism. The pistol grip is made in the traditional manner. The trigger guard is 1" PVC sections. To strengthen the trigger guard I embedded music wire at the corner and where the trigger guard meets the frame as well as glueing it.

Posted Image

Plunger
Like the FAR, the plunger is made from a 1/2" endcap and uses 1 19/16" O-ring instead of the FAR's 2. I was cramped for longitudinal space and gave up the redundant O-ring. The plunger rides in 1" thin walled PVC like the FAR as well but the plunger shaft is 1/2" CPVC. The slot on top of the plunger is engaged by a screw through the receiver and prevents the shaft from turning. The catch hole in the plunger needs to face down at all times. The catch hole can be just seen at the front of the guide slot. the actch hole is made from a piece of brass tubing that goes all the way trhough the plunger shaft. The catch engages the plunger from the bottom. I made a loop out of music wire that attached to the rear of the plunger for cocking.

The spring is a AR15 carbine spring with about a third cut off. When retracted the spring is fully compressed. When installed in the gun the spring is compressed about 25% of its free length.

Posted Image

Barrel
The barrel pulls out of the gun as a unit and is interchangeable. The one currently in the gun is a crayola barrel nested in 1/2" PVC. I plan on making another unit with a 1/2" CPVC barrel. the barrel is secured in the receiver with 3 screws placed radially around the rear and a single screw in the front. The barrel assembly adsorbs the shock from the plunger so I wanted to be sure that the barrel was not going to launch out of the front of the gun.

Posted Image

Trigger Mechanism
The trigger mechanism is just like what you would find in a nitefinder or crossbow. As seen above the plunger shaft has a catch hole in it. A sprung catch it located on the underside of the receier and engages the plunger shaft as the plunger is retracted.

Posted Image

The catch is made of music wire and a cut pen spring is used to provide the upward force. The trigger plate is made from 1/16" Aluminum. It rides is a channel made from two slivers of PVC. The ramped sectionon the right side of the alminum piece is what depresses the catch to release the plunger. The slot in the trigger plate is engaged by the U-shaped piece of music wire to retain the trigger and restrict its motion to purely linear. The trigger itself is made of PVC and attaches to the trigger plate with a pin. The trigger must be removable for the gun to come apart. The large spring pulls the trigger back forward. The below pictures show how the trigger goes together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Performance
I am extremely impressed with the performance of this pistol. With stock micros it gets about 70-80 feet. That’s with the crayola barrel. Using stefans gains a little range. I`ve gotten 90’ with a tight Stefan. The feel and weight of the pistol is good. It’s very balanced and easy to aim.

I`ll likely do a writeup for this pistol similar to the writeup for the FAR for Nerfhaven. I`ll have a schematic up soon like the one for the FAR and I also might finish up the CAD model as well. This pistol wasn`t that hard to build. There aren`t really any ultra complicated components. The trigger plate is the most complex piece but it's not that bad. It jsut takes some time with a dremel.

VIDEOS!!!

Firing-1 <1.3Mb>
Firing-2 <0.8Mb>

Edited by boltsniper, 05 October 2005 - 08:56 PM.

#2 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

Damn Picture Limit...

More Pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by boltsniper, 05 October 2005 - 07:06 PM.

#3 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

Bolt, you are amazing. I love that Equilibrium, and I love your homemade of his gun, well done!
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#4 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:25 PM

Bolt, you've done it again. It looks really nice with the far.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:26 PM

Bolt you have done it yet again. With ranges like that I guess its fair to say the LnL is now obsolete. Good job man. A write for that would be awesome. I think it would be a great warm up for the FAR.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 ogopogo

ogopogo

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

Damn i love it man. Will there be a write up on how to biled it soon

#7 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

I will probably do a writeup and plans similar to what I did for the FAR. Since this is much simpler with fewer parts I should be abel to go into more detail on the plans and writeup.

#8 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

I'm a little confused with the catch mechanism. How does it work? Also are you gonna paint the plunger? That would look nice.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#9 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Bolt, I have a feeling that you will never stop this madness. I have never seen a homemade spring pistol that fires mircros or stefan darts, and this being the first attempt that I've seen is just amazing. The final look is very clean and appealing. The rail system to attach a light is also a great option. What gets to me most is the crazy intricate details of the trigger mechanism and the catch for the plunger.

Once again, great work Bolt, your skills scare me sometimes.

#10 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

You really deserve about 200 cookies for this one, boltsniper. I'm really looking forward to the schematic, the same kind of thing you did for the Excel file for the FAR. I really like how you've mapped out everything you've done; gives everyone a lot of ideas. I'm a little scared about the aluminum part, but maybe I won't be after the writeup.
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#11 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Wow... The very first homemade nerf gun I ever saw was your original sharpshooter* rifle, of course I tried to copy it and pretty much failed but that was almost 4 years ago. Since then you have mad 3 or 4 just as amazing homemades, All of which have been amazing. I love equilibrium and your homemade. Although I less active in the nerf community I still love to see your homemades and you always inspire me.

Thanks for being a great inspiration to me and every other nerfer out there

*edit: Since when does it edit s n i p e r to say loser? :P

Edited by CheeseNerfer, 05 October 2005 - 08:37 PM.

"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#12 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

loser.

Hey, you're right!

Just had to try it. :P Bolt, that is the first homemade spring pistol I've ever seen. It looks great and I'm very impressed my the ranges. Great job.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 05 October 2005 - 08:40 PM.

SexD Warves

#13 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:55 PM

VIDEOS!!!

I took two low res videos of me shooting the pistol. the second video is looking downrange but you can`t really see the dart. You can hear it though. I was shooting at the door which is 18 feet away.

Firing-1 <1.3Mb>
Firing-2 <0.8Mb>

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

I hate you.

In an envious, fanatical, mesmerized way. [/joke]

You keep pulling these neat things off.

Truthfully, I'm inspired by your creativity. I would expect nothing less from an aerospace engineer. Oh, yeah, my FAR....soon....

Just don't make any Nerf cruise missles soon. Give the young 'uns ideas and all.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Nazarine hath awoke! Mine eyes are clear and my soul is clensed.

No seriously that's the most hardcore fucking thing I've ever seen. Dude, I'm getting you drunk and buying you pizza.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#16 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

Dude, I'm getting you drunk and buying you pizza.

Careful, I might just drive up there and hold you to that.... :P

Just don't make any Nerf cruise missles soon.

Hmmm... You may be on to something there..

Edited by boltsniper, 05 October 2005 - 09:41 PM.

#17 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

Simply amazing and the performance sounds great. I can't wait for the plans, I'm so builidng one of these. I'm simply awed, great job.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#18 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

Jesus, I'm the last one to get excited over someting like this, but that's just fucking cool. I'm still not blowing my load over the FAR, but this pistol is nuts.
I hate you.

#19 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:27 PM

Fanfuckingtabulous. I also wasnt getting any arousal form the FAR, but this pistol is awesome. Doesnt seem too loud either.

#20 opiumpanda

opiumpanda

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:00 PM

Damns that thing is cool. I can't wait for the write up so i can build my own! :P
"i read that nerfs coming out with a 500 watt lazer light that can burn through walls."
Hell you're lucky if you don't get fucked with a spiked bat

#21 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

You're just making my future degree look better and better. Good job man!

I'll help front the pizza and beer tab.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#22 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:11 AM

After taking apart a fair few $2 shop pistols in my time, I would have thought the most major thing holding us back from a development like this would be effectively shaping and fashioning the required parts. You prove that nothing can hold us[you] back.

Champion.

Have you got a more recent video of the FAR firing that's 56k friendly? I really want to see one fire in person.
EDIT: I redownloaded the video's from the "Homemade" page and writeup. Such simplistic beauty.

Edited by taita_cakes, 06 October 2005 - 07:31 AM.

Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#23 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

Awesome Pistol.

I'm in love with it already.

You do deserve at least 100 cookies, I'll pm them to you.

Off Topic (Almost):
For the one's that don't know the pistol from Equilibrium, this might help:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Chessler, 06 October 2005 - 05:52 AM.

#24 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

Dude, I'm getting you drunk and buying you pizza.

Careful, I might just drive up there and hold you to that.... :P

You assume I was kidding, which I was not.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#25 grunty

grunty

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

I am defenitly makeing one!
at2k s are the best no questions asked!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users