PETG Couplered Panther

Insane stuff.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

First off I'd like to give a big shoutout to the good people on the Nerf Modders Welcome for all the advice on various projects of mine, and the wonderful collaboration between members. This mod in particular I got off of Just Some Bob, or Bob O` Bob, when he found out that PETG fit snugly into the wider part of the Panther barrel. I've done this on 3 panthers so far, and this one was done for a friend, hence the random scuffs and gunk on the shell. I apologize for the potentially large crappy pictures, it's late, the lighting in my garage sucks, and I wasn't using the best camera.
Let's start.
First, open up your blaster, I for one simply snap off the orange tip, since I never have any use for it, and have managed to do so without damaging the shell in the past.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sand it smooth if you want
Posted Image
Cut here with a dremel, pipe cutter, hack saw, or anything you really want.
Posted Image
From here on out, you're going to want to keep your blaster pumped to keep plastic debris out of the tank (Also learned this trick from Bob)
Posted Image
Break this peg off, it doesn't have to be clean, just do it any way you can
Posted Image
From here, use any sanding bit on your dremel that will fit, I used a conical sanding bit, and another weird sanding drum that didn't have sand paper, but was a solid piece of coarse material on all sides. I don't know if this is entirely necessary, but I did it anyways. (Shaky picture, sorry)
Posted Image
Take the stock barrel, and mark it where the ridges are near the front of the barrel, then again where it normally connects to the AR chamber
Posted Image
Sand the openings so they're sloped and it's easier to put barrels in, then wrap it in tape (I used packing tape) and glue it into the stub, with the wider end of the barrel sticking outwards.
Posted Image
From here you can plug the pump if you want, but I chose not to.
Finished product!
Posted Image
Group shot with my panthers
Posted Image
Ranges? I have no idea at all, it depends how your PETG fits your darts, whether or not you plugged it, if you put 17/32" brass in the PETG, etc.
I use short PETG barrels with 17/32" inside them for stock darts, and I get at least 60' flat. That's probably a really low estimation, but I've never been able to actually measure any of my ranges, I think I can do a firing test video at the HVZ game I'm going to tomorrow, with a tape measure and some chalk, so look for that some time soon.
Thanks for reading!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#2 Plopper

Plopper

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Nice discovery! If I ever get a couple more panthers (currently have one) I will try this on one of them!
But I might add, is the "Coupler" part of the original berral? Im curious to know if it is. :P/>
Nice job overall by the way.
The picture says all. I am the wise man.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your profile to help him gain world domination. (yes i found this on another profile)

My Blog
-plopper

#3 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yes, the coupler is the stock barrel essentially put in backwards.

#4 Goldie

Goldie

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

God dammit, is there anything panthers cant do? The only down side to this is that the outer diameter of PETG can vary a bit. Are you using mcmaster PETG?

Do you by chance know the outer diameter of the stock barrel?

Also just an idea...slap a pvc/cpvc coupler on this and your barrel systems are endless, man. Granted you may have to sand a bit but still, dart fit would never be an issue. Hell even dart size. You could go from mega darts to micros,nano's. Even clip systems rscb to inline...

Off to Wal-mart.

Longshots are terribad and you should feel bad.
Crossbow shells suck and your mom sucks.

S.C.U.N.

#5 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Even if the OD of various PETGs are different, this is tapered and it shouldn't be too big of a deal, it might just be a bit tighter with some barrels than others. I've also got part of the barrel from one of my other panthers, and I've been tempted to attach it to a piece of 1/2" PVC, so it works as an adapter. If you wanted to you could coupler a blaster with multiple different adapters, like a segment of PETG to fit 17/32" brass, with a segment of panther barrel for PETG inside a CPVC coupler, inside of a 1/2" PVC coupler, with any other couplers you'd want or need over that. A random idea that could potentially be awesome.

#6 Spacedragon

Spacedragon

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Jimmy and the Rustler...

Insert picture of a gorilla here.

Also nice work on those mods, I love the Panther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users