• 216 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

I found a Lanard scatter blast at my local Walmart
after peeling away the foam shell I realized two things:
-The effective barrel length is really short
Posted Image
-The trigger/safety system is obnoxious

First, the trigger. It's a lot easier
there is one screw at the end of the grey trigger (you may have to remove the black foam pad on the tip)
I have an assortment of springs that I got from Tractor Supply Co. (I highly suggest it, there are some good catch springs in there)
to fit the springs trim the guide rails for the safety slide
Posted Image
and then put the spring on and screw it back together
Posted Image

and secondly, the barrel length
you will have to remove the back half of the pump handle to work on this part. the plastic piece on the end just pops off (just clipped in not glued)
the screw is at the bottom of the part you just opened up
cut the three rods holding the top plate onto the air tank (don't worry about neatness everything will be cleaned up, or ignored later)
widen the 6 holes in the top plate so that the CPVC (or whatever your chosen barrel material is) fit through it

on the tank cut the barrels at about half a centimeter from the bottom (about where my thumb is in the picture)
epoxy putty the barrels into place (I used 3 inch barrels here). you might need to have the top plate in place to make sure they are straight.
when the barrels are dry blue the top plate back into place as well (I didnt measure, I just put everything into the foam shell and glued it wherever it sat)
Posted Image

The actual spread was unaffected however, now 12 stefans shoot out instead of 6 darts (better odds of hitting something)
Posted Image
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#2 Slime

Slime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Very nice, pretty clean looking as well. I tried doing something like this to a scatter blast once except with PETG, but when I was dissembling it it developed a major leak.

#3 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Since this is a air blaster, you would get better ranges if you used PETG or brass for the barrels, since those have a looser fit on the darts. Did you replace the trigger/valve spring to make it easier to press?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#4 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

'Airgun fit' is only relevant for higher-pressure/volume, singled (or hoppered) blasters. For small stuff like this, you need some grip in order for the darts to 'pop'.

I tried a PETG-only barrel in a 4B, and was sorely disappointed. I've since moved to an inch or two of CPVC nested in PVC, into which I then crap the PETG. Works much better.
Fugly is a feature.

#5 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Doesn't this also have back-pressure tanks? I find they tend to need tighter barrels anyways.

I really like this, I keep meaning to mod mine, but keep getting sidetracked.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#6 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:28 AM

Since this is a air blaster, you would get better ranges if you used PETG or brass for the barrels, since those have a looser fit on the darts. Did you replace the trigger/valve spring to make it easier to press?

I replaced the weird switch system with the spring because I isn't like the way it functioned which is to say, not at all, or not very well at least. It could still fire while in safe mode, and could only be pumped in safe mode. The spring does the same thing and isn't obnoxiously bulky
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users