Photo

The Defender....

really nice and easy dart conversion....

30 replies to this topic

#1 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

http://www.paulspain...tmaticpaintball

Got one at Meier today for $16.xx and its a really easy conversion. do nothing....

you need a nice stiff stefan or a streamline dart... break open breech and shove dart into barrel... for a used and abused dart, I use a piece of 1/4in dowel rod.

Unfortunately the stock barrel is only 3in long... BUT a 12in piece of brass slips perfectly into the barrel...
Posted Image

Posted Image

I took mine apart a little bit more just to see how everything looks.
Posted Image
1/2in brass slips right into the breech.... I put a very large oring close to the tip of the barrel to keep the brass centered, the whole deal seems to twist and warp a little when pumping the spring, it is quite stiff...

I could only find 3 stefans the first one shredded while testing with the 3in barrel. I fired a streamline from the 3in barrel and it went over 90ft but flew in a corkscrew pattern...

with the 1ft barrel I lost both stefans and another streamline dart, I will look for them in the morning.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#2 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

Holy crap the possibilities. You rock in my book dude. I want one of these so bad.. But I have so many other projects waiting..

Can we get a shot of the internals? I have a PS-800 and it's insanely powerful as well. Try 7/0 weights.

Edit: Oh, and how does it work? I thought that the shotgun handle might cock the gun, but I see no way of it actuating anything on the inside, let a lone a beast of a spring.

Edited by Splitlip, 29 August 2008 - 10:54 PM.

Teehee.

#3 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

Looks very cool. Can't wait to get official ranges.

#4 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

It's like being a nerfed version of the terminator without all the muscle and the electronic eye, unless you're a bodybuilder who lost their eye and decided t have it replaced in one of the most expensive ways...
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Pump or spring powered?

If it's pump powered, how many pumps?

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

I think it says on the page were you buy it that its a paintball gun so I think its a springer.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

You can also find it for sale in clear plastic.
Posted Image
Price ranging from $16 to $45.

It's a springer, and the pump action seems to push a steel rod through the hole above the hinge axle that interacts with gears that prime the plunger rod.
The pump action when stock also loads a paintball from the tube magazine into the barrel.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 August 2008 - 11:36 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

clear would be nice capt... not sure if I wanna be running around the woods with this, not to mention the fact that im sure it will be banned from any nerf war.

ranges.... 3 shots... 2 stefans and 1 streamline dart. 95ft measured
125ft 100ft measured 25ft estimated
and the streamline dart which had the hole in the tip hotglued shut flew in a huge corkscrew and landed at least 150ft away, Im sure my Stefans need more weight... I have 5 pieces of led shot in each, but I never weighed the lead to compare it to the BBs. I cut one of the Stefans from 2in to 1.25in and it only went 60ft... I wanna try a converted Dart tagger next but got a picnic to go to.
I shot myself point blank in the foot with a streamline.... It REALLY hurt... like more than my airsoft gun or my paintball gun... sometimes the breech pops open when I fire from the pressure, Id like to take it apart and see the inside but Im gonna play wiht darts and see how much I can get first.. its made pretty well, Im sure yo could put a bigger spring and make the plunger seal more but if the breech pops open each time it wont help.

Don

#9 SofaKing

SofaKing

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

Got some @ Meijers on clearence too,I've been using it to encourage the squirrels to stay out of my apple trees for a couple of weeks now. Very nice at the discounted price, but would not recommend at the retail $59.99.

.50 cal paint balls or stephans accurate/effective to about 100' with no wind.

.50 target marbles(white slingshot ammo) good to about 60'

Someone's Youtube video of paintball firing.

Edited by SofaKing, 30 August 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#10 oodalumps

oodalumps

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

From slug's picture, the plunger looks puny. How do you explain those ranges?

#11 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

From slug's picture, the plunger looks puny. How do you explain those ranges?

HUGE spring

#12 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

Not to mention most airsoft springs are very stiff to begin with.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#13 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

What is the accuracy like with the long brass barrel? It seems like this might be a newbie X-bow replacement.
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#14 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

What is the accuracy like with the long brass barrel? It seems like this might be a newbie X-bow replacement.

I can't say much for accuracy, all my darts fly in huge corkscrew spirals. but it does seem to have potential. the long barrel keeps the darts from exploding and for now thats about all it does

#15 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

It appears that there are a few other, similar 1/2" ball guns on that page. Including one at $16.95. Interesting stuff... Looks like the shotgun type is by far the easiest conversion, though.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#16 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Yeah but the shotgun is still just so cool. Who wouldn't want to shoot the neighbor kid with that?
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

It appears that there are a few other, similar 1/2" ball guns on that page. Including one at $16.95. Interesting stuff... Looks like the shotgun type is by far the easiest conversion, though.

The Pistol Splat is a GREAT primary. It's basically everything the Maxshot should have been.
http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9423&hl=
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#18 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

The Pistol Splat is a GREAT primary. It's basically everything the Maxshot should have been.

they have those at Spencer gifts for $10

#19 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Amazing, im in crossbow withdrawal right now so this might help. I might paint mine yellow and green with a big ol' smiley face on it just for safety.
How does it feel in your hands? Is it balanced?
I must get one.....

Off topic: i just thought it was interesting that they had paintball products and i kept scrolling and found throwing knives? Thats a rather violent hobby. i mean.... someone could die......

Anywho awesome find and mod.

Nova

Edited by Nova, 03 September 2008 - 08:35 PM.

I need a life..

#20 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

I keep finding recent topics that I missed...hmm, anyway.

I got one of these at Cabela's (in Wheeling, WV) last weekend for $30. I took apart the back portion of it (where the spring and plunger are housed).

Recommendation: don't open the back half.

The spring shot out; fortunately, it only hit a cardboard box. Once open, it was kind of hard to get the gears and pump set correctly. Also, it was difficult to close back up. Finally, there's not really anything worth doing in there.

The plunger chamber seemed to have an inner diameter slightly larger than a PS-800 (which I am a big fan of), and possibly a larger plunger stroke; I didn't have time to open up my PS-800 to do actual comparisons.

The plunger head is not like the PS-800; it's closer to the old-school nerf ones, but is made of a hard rubber or plastic (rather than soft rubber, like the BBB, for instance). When I stuck a piece of foam backer rod into the air output, the plunger slowed down to a crawl; therefore, I conclude that the plunger seal is just fine.

I took a few pictures with my mom's digital camera before the batteries died, but I forgot to get them off of the camera; I can get them up on Monday, although I'm not sure if there's anything of note.

As a side note, the three screws on the grip allow you to take off the grip; the grip is separate from the rest of the back half of the blaster. Another aside: the catch that allows you to open the blaster is kind of hard to pres. It has a strong spring, and is rather recessed. I can, however, flip it closed with one hand.

To preclude such questions: no, I didn't do any mods. Also, no I didn't do a range test. However, I can say that the iron sights are quite accurate...at least at a distance of 10 feet or less.

Another recommendation: Paint before nerfing outside. This thing looks very realistic.

And now a question, Mr BadWrench: Does the brass go all the way back (into the tighter barrel section)? It appears to in your pictures, but I'm not sure.

And another question: How did you get the extended barrel off? Did you have to cut it, or did I miss a screw while trying to take mine apart? The back of my barrel came apart fine, but the front of the barrel seemed to be glued together.

And a third: What do you mean by "the breech pops open"? Do you mean that it breaks in half?

Edit: I almost forgot: There is even cushioning for the plunger head! The plunger head has a short yet strong spring on the front of it.

Edited by jwasko, 03 September 2008 - 07:57 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#21 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

there are 3 screws holding the barrel on... 2 near the breech and 1 between the barrel and the magazine towards the end.... it does not come off easy and I was afraid I was going to break it..

There is a rubber seal in the breech, I jus tpushed the brass into teh barrel untill it got to the rubber seal and left it there.

#22 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

they have those at Spencer gifts for $10

See y'all later... I'm going to Spencer's. :lol:
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#23 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

I got one of those PistolSplat things a while back when Amazon had them on sale. I amused myself with the cheap paintballs for a while, then put a CPVC barrel on it with the intentions of using it with stock darts. To my dismay, every single one I shot (BuzzBees and Nerf) spun all over the place, sometimes even landing behind me, and had massive rips in the side. It doesn't sound like you had this problem though, Bob, so I guess I'd better open it back up and take another looksee at them internals.
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

#24 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

It could have easily been the barrel length, because of that guns air-output it rips darts by going into the hole (no pun intended)
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#25 Z4

Z4

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, I was guessing that some of those reasons were why, but I wanted input from others. The use of stocks was 7 months or so back, I've moved on to stefans now. I'll have to crack that thingamajig back open when I get the time.
Z4 of the NIC
"We are here to have fun with the toys we love in a civilized and friendly manner."- Talio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users