Photo

Wayne Tech Tri-fire Blaster

You've all been waiting with bated breath, I'm sure.

35 replies to this topic

#1 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

The Mattel Wayne Tech Tri-Fire Blaster

A Big Salvo and Maverick, to get a sense of size.
WTTFB collapsed
Posted Image

WTTFB open
Posted Image

The "scope" does not align with the crosshairs. (It's aimed at the bottom of the plastic sheet which has the crosshairs imprinted.) Just thought I'd note that.

It has 2 compartments (one on each side) to hold darts. (frickin' adorable, I know.)
Posted Image

The stock ammunition is worth explaining.
The single large missle is similar to the arrows from a BBB, save it has no fletching(tail fins), but instead has 2 "wings" that project out from the dart head.
The bola-dart is basically the same thing, except split down the middle,with string connecting the two halves. Ideally when fired the 2 parts would fly apart, and giving the round a wider area of effect. Instead the two posts, on which the darts are mounted (like the tek 10, Speedloader, and Secret Shot, for example.) are arranged vertically, completely defeating the purpose, unless one wishes to fire "gangsta" at their foe.
The dart are comparable to tag darts, save they are about 1/8" shorter, and the foam is much more firm.

The blaster's function and operation requires a bit of explanation.
It has 4 barrels, as you can see, and a single trigger. Unfortunately, it has only a single air tank. Which barrel is to be used is determined by a barrel selector. So rather than function like a Big Salvo, it functions more like a Secret Shot powered by pump & tank, rather than spring & piston.

How to select the desired barrel
Posted Image
Notice each muzzle is numbered.

Posted Image
squeezing the trigger advances the dial, the number displayed obviously indicating which barrel is selected. sliding the orange switch (located above, and to the right of the barrel indicator) forward locks the drum, and the chosen barrel is set. Pressing the orange (above, and further to the right) button releases the lock, and a new barrel can be selected by squeezing the trigger.

Onto the internals.
Posted Image

Posted Image

To disconnect the wires, gently pull the junction pieces apart.

The tank, viewed from the behind
Posted Image

Everyone felt the Longshot wasn't complicated enough, right?
I was expecting it to be rather elaborate, seeing as the blaster has a trigger that rotates, and moves away from the pump, tank, and barrels and has to function after relocation.

The trigger relaxed
Posted Image

The trigger being squeezed.
Posted Image

You can see how many parts move just to press the firing pin in, and release the air.

Here are the modifications I performed

The pump was glued shut, I simply cut through it (be careful to not cut too deep, into the pump handle.)
and put a bit of hot glue to plug the pump.
Posted Image

Next was to remove the pegs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottom pair of barrels received PETG barrels cut to length for tag darts. The upper pair received 1/2" PVC couplers. I had to sand the ID of the muzzles, so 3 PETG barrels would fit.

The Finished product
Posted Image

Ranges (20 pumps/shot)
All shots fired level or <5 degrees above the horizon.

Muzzle 1: 3" of 1/2" cpvc barrel. Tag dart. 65feet.
Muzzle 1: 3" of 1/2" cpvc barrel. stock dart. Technically the dart didn't leave the barrel, but the barrel did fly out of the coupler, and landed about 30 feet away.

Muzzle 2: 6" of 1/2" PVC. tag dart. 35 feet.

Muzzles 3 & 4: 3" of PETG. tag darts & stock darts. 35 feet.

I tried pumping the blaster 30 times, and I had to squeeze the trigger about 6 times before it would fire. Its range was also about 65 feet.

The only other modification I considered is to replace the light bulb in the flashlight (the gray box, located above the pump) with multiple LED bulbs, so the flashlight will actually illuminate the other side of a classroom properly.

As complicated as this thing is, I'm sure I left out something minor; feel free to reply or PM with questions.

Thanks for your time.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#2 psychoswan

psychoswan

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

That is insanely complex.
Props for the explination though.
How much was it?
INCONCEIVABLE!

#3 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

The gun itself certainly does seem complicated internally. I'm sure someone will come along that will increase the firing ranges for this bad boy. I will have to pick at least one of these up. One for the collection and one for fucking around with.

I think a better abbreviation for this gun would simply be TFB. Chop off the Wayne Tech portion to make things easier.

Where are you located and what store did you find it in?

Edited by badger, 12 May 2008 - 05:59 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#4 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

What were the stock ranges like?
That thing looks like a nightmare to open up & mod, just because of the complexity of the thing. I could be wrong though.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

IMHO it looks like it has potential. I might want to see about picking one up...
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

They have these somewhere around me but, I'm still a little wary of getting one. On top of that, They are a little on the expensive side for me.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#7 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

IMHO it looks like it has potential. I might want to see about picking one up...

A little disappointing, but then again, I wasn't intent on picking one up anyway.
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#8 Silencer

Silencer

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

Good job, it looks very complex. Nicejob figuring out how to plug pump and the other mods. I don't think I'll get one soon after seeing those internals. :lol: Nice ranges too.

Edited by Silencer, 12 May 2008 - 08:21 PM.

TMC

#9 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

So around how many pumps do you suppose it could hold when plugged? If you pumped it to thirty and it was the same as your twenty then might it not be fully plugged? Ive never heard of 10 extra pumps doing nothing.

#10 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

So around how many pumps do you suppose it could hold when plugged? If you pumped it to thirty and it was the same as your twenty then might it not be fully plugged? Ive never heard of 10 extra pumps doing nothing.

He already plugged it...
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

He already plugged it...

I realize that. HOWEVER if you look at his ranges his ten extra pumps did nothing... when he pumped it to thirty.

#12 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

That thing is awesome. Nice mod too.

#13 nerfispwnage243

nerfispwnage243

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hmmm... very interesting... Nice mod. I might have to pick up one of these things. I wonder how brass will work...

#14 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

You could make one barrel shoot megas, one micros, one Janos, and one with a shotgun attachment. There are possibilities...
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#15 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

He already plugged it...

I realize that. HOWEVER if you look at his ranges his ten extra pumps did nothing... when he pumped it to thirty.

In his post, he said that he had to pull the trigger like 6 times for it to fire off. This means that the pressure built up is too strong for the trigger, so it doesn't advance and just shoots out little bursts of air until it gets down to a level that it can handle, making the pressure equal to that of about 20 pumps. This happens on my Blastfire, and I've been meaning to get a stronger torsion spring in hopes to fix this problem.

#16 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

You could make one barrel shoot megas, one micros, one Janos, and one with a shotgun attachment. There are possibilities...

Yeah, but I was thinking, isn't this just a glorfied Big Salvo with barrel select and crappy pop-outs?

#17 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

psyhoswan, badger - The blaster was $28.99, acquired from the Wal-Mart in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Captain - Stock ranges actually seemed a little bit better than advertised on the box(20 feet.). While I didn't go to the effort to measure stock ranges, I fired it across my room and estimate it to get around 30 feet stock. (Truth be told, I have at least half a dozen blasters than have never been fired stock; to this day I don't know what stock ranges are for a magstrike or RF20, as I modified them pretty much mere moments after opening them up.)

Silencer - nah, pretty much every foam-dart blaster uses the same or comparable mechanisms; if you know how to plug the pump on one, you know how to plug the pump on just about everything. Same goes for gluing a few barrels or a coupler.

Ubermencsh - After seeing how much ranges dropped after leaving 2 of the barrels as shotgun style, compared to the single cpvc barrel, I'll probably end up gluing a coupler to each barrel, and make all barrels the same. (since that's what got the best range) though if someone can figure out how to squeeze a bit more power out of one of these, having a couple shotgun muzzles would be really nice.

Galaxy613 - The Big Salvo has separate tanks for each barrel, sadly this device doesn't. while a Big Salvo can fire a couple shots, and still be able to fire off the other 2 without having to re-pump the blaster, this thing has to be pumped after every shot. I was a bit disappointed.

As for the issue with the valve/trigger, I'm going to try and stick a small piece of some sheet metal/plastic/whatever I find lying around and see if stickng that between the valve-release, and the lever that presses the release button (sort of making it a hair-trigger, like in Forsaken Angel_24's Magstrike mod', only with a different function) will help with releasing the tank valve at a higher pressure. I'll update later with the results.

Thanks for your time.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#18 doubleshot

doubleshot

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

Seems too confusing/bulky/expensive to be useful, unless someone figures something of Effeminate proportion out. Good luck to whoever takes this on.
92% of people make up statistics. If you're one of the 8% who don't, put this in your signature

#19 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Damn. That is a lot of freaking moving parts. And it looks like everything is integral enough that cutting any of the excess out wont work. Still, nice writeup. 1 question: how exactly do you get that thing to expand?

Even if it sucks, I still want one for shits and giggles.
C8H18

#20 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

Nice write up!

For those interested TRU has these in their current ad for 29.99.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#21 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

eddieoctane - Ha! I knew I'd forgotten something about how it worked, thanks for asking. There's a button located on top of the part that functions as the shoulder stock when the blaster has been opened. (I just realized that that button is out of view in damn near every picture I took. Very sorry to everyone for that.) In the last picture, you can see a glimpse of what I'm typing about, the bright orange button located on top of the handle/shoulder stock at the very back. To open the blaster, simply depress that button, and pull. the parts all slide back, the trigger and grip rotate into position, and the flashlight swivels out. It's all rather amusing, and reminds me of the movies where someone has a suitcase where they pull one lever and the case falls apart and some sort of submachine gun unfolds in their hands. To close the blaster back up, simply hold in the same button, and squeeze the front of the blaster and the back handle/stock together, then press the mall orange button in front of the trigger, and push the trigger and grip can be folded back.

Pressing the wide, flat, orange switch at the top and center of the blaster deploys the crosshairs and the "scope."

Thanks for letting me know I forgot that detail.

Thanks for your time.
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#22 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Man, I thought this was going to be somewhat either like the blastfire, or hopefully something like the SM1.5K. I guess they just are'nt going to make guns like that anymore... But I think for anyone who LARPs, this would be a really fun LARP gun with a cool, sci-fi paintjob. Good mod. Man, Hasbro is coming out with a lot of new guns lately. Damn superhero line.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#23 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hasbro is coming out with a lot of new guns lately. Damn superhero line.

Posted Image

This blaster is from Mattel, NOT Hasbro.

#24 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hasbro is coming out with a lot of new guns lately. Damn superhero line.

Posted Image

This blaster is from Mattel, NOT Hasbro.

Okay... I'm sorry I missed that. :D I just got kind of confused.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#25 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Props on being the first, and actually buying this thing. Now it looks like I'm not going to, mainly because of the poor range. doesn't look like an internal integration would be possible either.

In any case, great job on the mod, write-up, and explaination.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users