95' From Mech 20

sort of...

14 replies to this topic

#1 FoamSniper

FoamSniper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:08 AM

Been a while since I've posted anything here, and this is technically a spinoff of a project I started about 2 years ago. I've taken something of an interest in less conventional methods of nerf-style looting and pillaging. I thought you guys might appreciate this, but you're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20, especially seeing how posting that getting ranges with it over 20' seems to cause tension here. To put it bluntly... You don't.

I can say that darts will land 95' from the person pulling the trigger... in theory.

I present my thoughts for RONAVT (Remotly Operated Nerf Assault Vehicle Thingy)

Will Require:
1x Mech 20
1x Spy Gear Spy Video Remote-Controlled Car
1x Linear Actuator (to pull the trigger)
1x Additional RC transmitter / reciever kit with ~75' range to match the car

I'm headed to Wal-Mart later tonight to pick up the car I've already got the mech 20 working off a linear actuator (was part of an automated-tripod-mounted-motion-sensing sentinal gun I built). Hopefully this project will only require some basic soldering to get the actuator and on/off switch attached to the extra RC reciever and some body work to the car to mount the weapon onto it.

Worst case scenario, if the speed of the vehicle isn't that great, I could probably gut it and install it's camera into a larger RC vehicle and use the rc receiver to power the weapon rather than the vehicle.

If this works, it will change the battlefield in my office like never before. I will be able to hide under any desk, rain fire onto my enemies without exposing myself to return fire, unlike similar RC-nerf vehicles which do not have a camera. I'll try to keep you guys updated on progress made, but my net access is limited for the time being.

Happy nerfing in the mean time,
--Foamsniper

PS If anyone is wondering, the sentinal gun operated off a motion sensor I built consisting of a laser pointer, some mirrors and one of those light sensing night lights, and fired in one direction only (basically firing whenever the beam was broken). It was great for guarding doors, but people started examining the doors before they walked through.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

We're not interested in theories. And "range" is how far from the BARREL of the gun (aimed at the horizon) the dart travels before hitting the ground. Anything else is an exercise in creative semantics (or lying).

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 February 2008 - 01:13 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

I thought you guys might appreciate this, but you're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:27 AM

I thought you guys might appreciate this, but you're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

O_O LMAO, QFT
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#5 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

RC Nerf Cars are impractical. Too easy to turn on its side, and too hard to reload.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#6 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:54 AM

Just hit it with a pointy stick!

This just won't be effective unless you put some rules down about putting a stefan through your ride.

Also, this could only work in the inside.

Finally, I got to get a video of THIS.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#7 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

#8 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

You think he could throw it that far?
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#9 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

There already is an RC car that fires nerf darts. There is also a thread for this already, http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9958.

#10 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

The first few times you would use that in a war, no one would see it coming untill its too late. It would be cool for indoor wars also.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#11 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

I just think it might be cool for night wars if you could see it. But it would only be practical for sneaking up on little brother and shooting him till he pissed himself.

Edited by Bomberman, 18 February 2008 - 02:25 PM.

QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#12 FoamSniper

FoamSniper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

We're not interested in theories. And "range" is how far from the BARREL of the gun (aimed at the horizon) the dart travels before hitting the ground. Anything else is an exercise in creative semantics (or lying).

You have a mouse in your pocket? Who is this "We" that you speak of? I'm aware actual range is determined from the distance from the barrel, I addressed this in the last sentence of my first paragraph. For your viewing pleasure:

To put it bluntly... You don't.

@Lynx
We've agreed that shooting the car will not count since we do not count hits on weapons either. Outdoors really won't be a problem since I only play at work, cubicle warfare.

@Bomberman
Ever tried sneaking up on someone with a mech 20? :D

@Everyone else that might care
The local walmart did not have one. I'll have to hit up the Toys R Us tommorow. And the effective range of a mech 20 when I throw it is about 50-60 feet. If I add some mods to my arm, I can probably squeeze another 10 feet into it. :P

#13 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

You think he could throw it that far?

Oh, that'd be an angled shot. *rim shot*

Edited by Carbon, 18 February 2008 - 11:32 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#14 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

And if somehow they can't hear the RC car coming, how the hell are they going to miss the Mech20?

Heavy metal grunge music in a pair of headphones?

I can get about 45ft out of a beefed Mech. Throwing it, maybe 80 on a good day.
~AJAQ~

#15 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

Who is this "We" that you speak of?

We refers to all respected, intelligent members and the administration of the 'Haven (in other words, people that can and will utilize the ban-stick for great comic relief).
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users