Sandman's Content

There have been 90 items by Sandman (Search limited from 19-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#27 Planned Moderation System

Posted by Sandman on 15 December 2002 - 01:22 AM in Site Feedback

First off, thanks for inviting me to preview your site!

I talked to VACC a little bit before this, so I'll transplant a view of my thoughts into here. First off, I'm under the impression that NerfHaven is going to be mostly forum-focused, but I'd still like to see a little more content. While I am really eager to see the revival of Groove's comics, and it's always nice to see well documented modifications, I still think that it would be nice to see more modifications, homemade projects, and possibly some biased reviews! :D

As for the forums, it really shows through your thoughts that you want them to be the best set of forums Nerfers have ever seen. The planned moderation system sounds like it's going to kick some serious butt, but I have a few things to bring up. The karma cycle is a very ingenious way to moderate forums, but I'm skeptical as to whether it will prove to be effective without a large (and I mean LARGE) base of users that post consistantly. This opinion may be so just because I've only seen what I have seen, and this setup is going to be something extremely different. My concern has been that other Nerf forums don't seem to be active enough to truly be able to take advantage of something like "Karma". There also doesn't seem to be too many outbursts on the forums, and there hasn't ever been (to my knowledge or memory) an admin or moderator that has gone postal on the forums (someone tell/remind me if this HAS happened).

This leads me to my next concern. How are you guys planning on getting the word out on the site? You can only get so many people to transfer over from the other forums (most notably NC and NHQ), and while those people can invite all their friends, there's no telling how long they'll stay or how much they'll post. I think back to NerfOnline before it was melded with X-forums, when there seemed to be a continual flow of new members. Why was this so? I think it's because when you type "Nerf" into just about any major search engine, NO was on the top (or near it) of the list. Any plans on getting some publication somehow?

Anyway, best of luck with programming this Karma system into the forums. Let me know if you need some help with the forums or anything. I've got projects of my own to work on, but I'd like to help if you need it or if I can.

#28 Pants

Posted by Sandman on 15 December 2002 - 01:25 AM in Off Topic

My pants have been getting on my nerves today... While roomy, they interfere with my undergarments, constantly twisting into uncomfortable positions.

#29 Approach To Modification

Posted by Sandman on 15 December 2002 - 01:27 AM in Modifications

I usually take time to do modifications, but my results aren't always pretty to look at. I'm also bad at leaving projects on their lonesome. For example, I've got the remains of a SM3000 leftover from two summers ago, STILL sitting under my bed.

#470 Socal War In Feb

Posted by Sandman on 09 January 2003 - 08:56 PM in Nerf Wars

A little off the topic, but do you think that some of you guys up near L.A. will be able to come down to San Diego if Steve (neonerfer) and I set up a SDNO or something during Spring Break? I'll be down at my mom's for the break, so we were probably going to try to have a Nerf out during it.

#536 Socal War In Feb

Posted by Sandman on 12 January 2003 - 01:52 AM in Nerf Wars

Time to mark your calendars: Sunday, 16th February.

*snip*

Everyone help me get the word out please... a lot of people just disappeared when NO went to hell.

I'll mark it on the calendar over at F-125 for ya. ^_^

#742 H2h In Nerf.

Posted by Sandman on 21 January 2003 - 12:11 AM in General Nerf

Heck, I'd think it'd be better to beat eachother with padded foam than with your fists...

Actually, when I've had wars with H2H factored in, it's gone pretty smoothly. It's pretty fun getting into a heated melee combat situation in the middle of a war.

#774 H2h In Nerf.

Posted by Sandman on 22 January 2003 - 01:58 AM in General Nerf

You would need actual Jedi-like reflexes to be able to deflect darts, even from single shot guns (I won't delve into the reflexes needed to ward off a Powerclip, save a RF20). H2H is more for finesse, and to put a stylish end to certain battles. If all you're concerned with in a war is to win, H2H is probably not going to be the thing you'd want to focus on. When I use such weapons, the fun factor is multiplied when they're used correctly.

Also, if you guys are so concerned about hurting people with padded PVC, you could just get a slightly more expensive rubber material that is available for piping.

#791 H2h In Nerf.

Posted by Sandman on 22 January 2003 - 06:29 PM in General Nerf

Well, I was kinda referring more to deflecting shots with a foam sword. It's a little more tricky, but it's kinda fun to have someone shoot a load of rings from a Firestorm and try to swipe them from the air... That's pretty cool about the katana... Was it a real metal blade or was it fake?

#812 Counter-strike And Other Hl Mod Players Here!

Posted by Sandman on 23 January 2003 - 01:49 AM in Off Topic

I'd like an I.P. to join. I've been enjoying CS since beta 5.3, and it's always fun to play with people I have some sort of connection with.

#851 H2h In Nerf.

Posted by Sandman on 24 January 2003 - 12:25 AM in General Nerf

See kids, this is why quoting out of context is bad. :rolleyes:

Bad admin! Bad! :o

#1038 Are You An Old Nerfer?

Posted by Sandman on 30 January 2003 - 06:24 PM in General Nerf

And shame on them for not paying their dues.

This high-and-mighty attitude is a little immature, don't you think? Factual or not, it doesn't make much difference if all you want is credit for helping in something that happened before most people were aware that the internet was mainstream.

#1044 Are You An Old Nerfer?

Posted by Sandman on 30 January 2003 - 09:07 PM in General Nerf

I guess what I was trying to get at was that it is beginning to appear through posts that the so-called "elder" members (which, the term in itself seems laughable, seeing how this community has been around for no longer than what it would take a kid to go through his teenage years...) are having a tendency to bash on the members that haven't been around as long. In my opinion, it's much too similar to high-school's aspect of seniority, and the degradation of lower classmen. There's a line crossed between stirring up feelings of nostalgia and just plain out being a jerk to other people because they were trying to have fun, too. Is there a privelage to be assumed once you've been in the internet community long enough?

I will say that it may seem like I'm overexaggerating the emotions being portrayed, but I would at least like to raise the concern that many of the older members that have been known to be respected and looked up to are, through topics like this, giving off an image different to that I used to know. It's like we're (the people that evidently don't apply to the aforementioned list) are being intimidated or something.

To the defense of Evil Angel's position in the NIC, he may not have been here for very long, but at least he's an influential member. There aren't many members around that have maintained a site like his and kept it updated so constantly. He's one of the elite of today's generation, not the last generation, and he deserves to be recognized as such, not put down because he wasn't on the Nerflist. Just because someone didn't help found the community doesn't mean they can't do their best to uphold it in the way they deem the best.

And VACC, self-glorifying? I hope that I'm not coming off as that, but if I am, how so?

#1199 Attendance Check For Wano

Posted by Sandman on 08 February 2003 - 03:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Erm...dude, I think he's talking about Washington the "state" not the District of Columbia, in Virginia.

Yeah, we're talking about the state, and we're pretty much just curious as to who from Washington, Idaho, or Oregon would have a chance at attending.

#1301 F-125 Pluggage

Posted by Sandman on 12 February 2003 - 12:48 AM in Off Topic

Hello all. Was just cruising these forums when I thought that I might as well make an official topic to raise the awareness of Forum-125. It's pretty much a forum centered around Nerfers, but with the focus more on life in general with a little bit of Nerf on the side, for those unaware. We're hoping to have some open-minded and interesting debates and discussions in the near future (while some already underway), so I'd just extend a formal invitation to anyone interested. I'm an admin there, and I'm trying to keep these forums as spit-shining clean as possible, so anyone that doesn't fall under the category of "intelligent", stay away. Thanks!

#1338 F-125 Pluggage

Posted by Sandman on 12 February 2003 - 11:43 PM in Off Topic

Must... stop... reading... haiku... thread!

That was a fun topic to be involved in, I must say. I'm hoping to spark up another soon, since the limerick one didn't get too popular... <_<

#1457 Coming Down To San Diego For Spring Break

Posted by Sandman on 17 February 2003 - 04:50 AM in Nerf Wars

Allrighty, I'm coming down to visit my mom in San Diego the second week of April. It'd be real cool if we could set up the second SDNO (*nudges Steve*) or something. Heck, I would love to be able to attend a Nerf out in L.A., but any of you people that didn't see the awesome location for the last SDNO should really make a trip down to Felicita Park in Escondido... Pure sweetness. Anyway, I know that dates for spring break vary from location to location, so if anything, could we get something on a Saturday or Friday, maybe April 11 or 12?

#1504 Coming Down To San Diego For Spring Break

Posted by Sandman on 18 February 2003 - 10:31 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm sure I could smuggle a ride up there somehow... :ph34r:

#1546 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 18 February 2003 - 06:44 PM in Nerf Wars

Sweet! Thanks for the consideration, Cxwq! I'll try to bring a few of my best guns on the airplane. I'll probably try to carpool with some of the San Diego guys, or if that doesn't work out, I'm sure I could convince my mom to make a road trip up to L.A.

#1574 Music At Yano

Posted by Sandman on 18 February 2003 - 11:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, bad idea. The Vandals are pretty good though.

#1799 Ratchetblast Mods

Posted by Sandman on 25 February 2003 - 06:38 PM in Modifications

I stuck 4 Glue-Stic barrel plugs in mine, so now it shoots Nerf micros. It increases range, and now I don't have to worry about different ammo types (Nerf micro darts are my main ammo type...). Here's a bad picture of it:
Posted Image

#1927 Shotgunners Rejoyce!

Posted by Sandman on 02 March 2003 - 03:35 PM in Modifications

What happens when only one slice gets pushed out and the other ones are stuck in the barrel?

#2040 Shotgunners Rejoyce!

Posted by Sandman on 06 March 2003 - 10:20 PM in Modifications

What happens when only one slice gets pushed out and the other ones are stuck in the barrel?

One slice shoots and the others stay in the barrel...

;)

Your logic is almost as sharp as your sarcasm... ;)

#2489 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 20 March 2003 - 05:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Pweened! Hubbard has just re-established contact with me and he will definately be joining Jordan, Matt, Jason, Steph and myself at the war! Dude with my team, that flag is staying SECURELY at our base this time.

I'll wager that my 6-person team this war would kick the ass of any other 6 person team you guys can come up with. I'll give 5 of my (über) micro Stefans to each member of any 6 person team that can kick our ass in a standard 5 hit war. Takers? >ring< Oh I'm sorry, school is now in session b10tches. Come get some!

I'm printing out a giant target with your face plastered on it, Spoon! :D

#2709 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 26 March 2003 - 06:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Crap.

Well, it turns out that my plane is scheduled to leave San Diego on, yep, April 12th. I've been trying to get my dad to change it, but he doesn't want to shell out an extra hundred bucks so that I "can go to some Nerf war." Sorry dudes, doesn't look like I'll be making it to this one... I'm especially sorry since C was planning this around my trip. Big apology to everyone! :(

#2960 San Diego, Cali Ppl

Posted by Sandman on 04 April 2003 - 03:19 AM in General Nerf

Talk to Neonerfer, he's in a group of Nerfers close to San Diego.

I'm actually coming down to SD next week for our Spring Break... I wanted to go to the YANO up in Los Angeles, but my plane leaves the same day, so I can't make it. :angry:

#3056 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 07 April 2003 - 12:31 AM in Nerf Wars

Well, I'm down here in San Diego... It's depressing knowing that I won't be making it up to the war this weekend. Oh well, I'll be back down again in the summer, so maybe I'll be able to come to one then. Have fun, you guys, and shoot Steve a few times for me. :D

#3327 April Yano Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 12 April 2003 - 01:09 AM in Nerf Wars

Have a good time you guys... Hope to be able to make a YANO in summer!

#3942 Just Looking For Some Help

Posted by Sandman on 24 April 2003 - 05:45 PM in Modifications

You'd be better off getting a Airtech 3k.

http://nerfhaven.com/mods/cxwq_at3000/

#3943 Half Life2: Coming!

Posted by Sandman on 24 April 2003 - 05:48 PM in Off Topic

While we're copy and pasting directly from PHL, don't want to forget about this little link.

http://money.cnn.com...aming/index.htm

#4042 Half Life2: Coming!

Posted by Sandman on 27 April 2003 - 02:06 AM in Off Topic

Counter-strike: Condition Zero

CS:CZ = Compiliation of the worst ideas ever to be implemented in Counter-Strike.

#4869 'sup Homeslice?

Posted by Sandman on 21 May 2003 - 08:53 PM in Off Topic

If only Nickis was here... Oh wait, no, we don't want that.

#5477 Music To Nerf To

Posted by Sandman on 09 June 2003 - 05:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the late post, but I can't pass up a thread about music, and I haven't logged into NH in a few weeks...

You gotta check out some songs by Anti-Flag if you haven't already. I would suggest their song "Captain Anarchy" and maybe even "Underground Network."

If that's too punk for ya, "Burn Baby Burn" by Ash is always a nice, energetic song.

Here are some other good ones...

"A Praise Chorus" - Jimmy Eat World

"Macho Nachos" - Mad Caddies

"5000 Ways to Die" - Nerf Herder

"Howie Mobile" - Nicotine (is a fun song)

"Given the Chance" - The Starting Line

#5841 Guess Who?

Posted by Sandman on 20 June 2003 - 04:12 PM in Off Topic

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify Madcow. I realized that he is not actually a mammal. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but Madcow does not. He moves to a forum, and he posts, and posts, until every user despises him. The only way he can survive is to spread to another forum. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Madcow is a disease, a cancer of this community, he is a plague, and NerfHaven is the cure.

Apologies to the Wachowskis of course...

You may get brownie points for the Matrix reference, but how does NerfHaven cure Madcow?

#6539 Counter Strike For X Box !

Posted by Sandman on 04 July 2003 - 12:16 AM in Off Topic

Posted Image
(Forget which comic this is from...)

#6828 Wow

Posted by Sandman on 10 July 2003 - 03:19 AM in Off Topic

but then the posters of NC were never know for being the cream of the crop with some exceptions thank goodness.

To the defense of NC, some of the most intelligent debates I've ever seen have taken place on NC. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

#7010 Avatars

Posted by Sandman on 14 July 2003 - 07:28 PM in Site Feedback

Awesome, Julie, feels like old times with Happy Noodle Boy as my avatar... Thanks!

#7011 Hal Mocked By Local Radio Station

Posted by Sandman on 14 July 2003 - 07:31 PM in Off Topic

And, the radio's playlist isn't bad.

It wouldn't be as bad if they played more songs that weren't made for the radio. I really like The Ataris, and AFI, but they should play more than their singles.

#7015 Happy Belated 14th!

Posted by Sandman on 14 July 2003 - 08:11 PM in Off Topic

Feliz cumpleaños!

#7385 2003 Sdno Planning Thread

Posted by Sandman on 27 July 2003 - 07:14 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm hoping to be down there for it. I'll let you know when I get my plane tickets.

EDIT: My plane leaves August 16th, so I don't think I'll be down there in time, nor in any condition to after jet lag. Sorry guys...

#7392 Googlism Of Nerf

Posted by Sandman on 27 July 2003 - 11:24 AM in General Nerf

"sandman is a big sick freak"

I would have never known... :P

Meh... you win some, you lose some.