shandsgator8's Content

There have been 444 items by shandsgator8 (Search limited from 26-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#297940 Phoenix Down! Rising From the Ashes! May 7th!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 May 2011 - 05:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I will just reiterate what's been said: great war, had an awesome time, met some cool people, and my muscles are sore.

Well done Gears; your hosting was much appreciated.

#297991 Apocalypse 2011

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 May 2011 - 09:51 PM in Nerf Wars

August 6th will not work for me, but the other dates should be fine.

#298229 Once More With Feeling

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 May 2011 - 08:27 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe.

#298257 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 May 2011 - 06:00 AM in Nerf Wars

Consider me confirmed if the war is held on June 18th or July 9th. I will not able to attend if the war is on July 25th (a weekday).

#298320 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 19 May 2011 - 06:02 PM in Nerf Wars

I probably can't do June 25th, either. I can still do July 9th or June 18th.

#298321 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by shandsgator8 on 19 May 2011 - 06:28 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#298621 Once More With Feeling

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 May 2011 - 07:22 PM in Nerf Wars

Consider me a definite if the weather holds.

#298696 Once More With Feeling

Posted by shandsgator8 on 26 May 2011 - 05:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks for the update; I will be unable to make the June 4th war, sorry.

#298894 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 May 2011 - 10:03 PM in Nerf Wars

I am up for any of the dates. But I need to know which one it is going to be as soon as possible so I can take off from work and get my blasters ready. Also, I may need some one to provide me with some stefans. And yes, I am willing to pay for them. The first one was great by the way.

If I attend, I can sell some; they are #8 slugs that really only work in CPVC.

#299087 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 31 May 2011 - 06:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I can handle the fact that there are no dart restrictions, but should RedShot decide to implement some, I would welcome them.

Up to the RedShot, though.

#299150 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 June 2011 - 07:39 PM in Nerf Wars

I would be using slugs but I just can't find any good materials to make them. I'll probably be using modified streamlines any way.
By the way, shandsgator8, you said your slugs only really work in CPVC. How well do they work in PETG?
Also, Red can we get some kind of consensus on the date yet?

They are generally too narrow for PETG. I know PETG can differ in its inner diameter, but I can't say my slugs will work. At best, they'll probably produce an airgun-fit. I've seen my slugs get stuck in PETG because the slugs are too narrow. In case you are wondering, I use McMaster FBR.

#299152 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 June 2011 - 08:05 PM in Nerf Wars

That'd be perfect for me since I would be using them in an airgun. Maybe we could talk about how many and for how much on the IRC?

I can't even say they'll produce an airgun fit in PETG, but it's possible they will...I just don't know. I've seen my slugs fail miserably in PETG, but of course, that's just one type of PETG and I believe certain types of PETG can vary in their inner diameter. Once RedShot sets up a date and if we both can make it, then perhaps we'll discuss a possible transaction.

#299290 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 June 2011 - 12:25 PM in Nerf Wars

LTJG Rob,

If you're still interested in my slugs, let me know your e-mail address and we can discuss things that way.

#299315 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 June 2011 - 06:12 PM in Nerf Wars

RedShot,

If we want to sell a few things, can we post them in this thread?

#299417 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 June 2011 - 04:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I will add: RedShot hosts a great war at an excellent location. :)

#299502 T.E.P.A.W. 3! -Recapping (please see new thread!)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 07 June 2011 - 07:32 PM in Nerf Wars

I am looking to sell a few things:

1. NIB (unopened) Clear Recon [$15]
2. Stock orange Furyfire; used but in great shape [$10]
3. New Raider stock (blue) [$5]
4. NIP Streamline darts (I have 2 packages, a 36 and 45 dart pack) [$7 for the 36 pack and $9 for the 45 pack]
5. Unassembled, but complete Rattler (doesn't work properly when assembled) [$8]
6. 8 x almost new 6 dart box magazines [$3 each, but quantity discounts are possible]
7. Stock blue Nightfinder (original) [$20]
8. 2 x used, but good condition, AT2Ks [$45] for both or [$25] each

I am looking to buy: BBBB and BBUMB pump handles (stock); I want their OPRVs.

If some attendees need some darts, I also have #8 slugs that I can sell, but they are really only designed to work with CPVC (see prior posts in this thread for a brief discussion). Also, these prices are negotiable on the day of the war. Until them, the prices are firm.

#299871 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by shandsgator8 on 14 June 2011 - 06:39 PM in General Nerf

I know for sure that the kit won't fit either the AT or the Raider. It might fit the Deploy or the Long Strike but I wouldn't know for sure.

I imagine the main spring, catch spring, and reinforcement plate would work in the Alpha Trooper as drop in replacements, right?

As SpectreX already said, I always thought of this mod kit as targeted for HvZ-ers. Rate of fire, practicality, and legal/policy considerations of on campus Nerf wars seem to be begging for a product like this.

#299932 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by shandsgator8 on 15 June 2011 - 06:30 PM in General Nerf

Isn't it stronger also? So it could possibly be thinner and weigh the same as a stock plunger system?

It will be interesting to see how the shells hold out now that the plunger tubes supposedly won't break from springs that are too strong.

I used an aluminum plunger tube in a clear Recon and noticed sudden, increased wear on the internal rails on the inside of the shell. This wasn't the OMW plunger tube, so it could be just my aluminum plunger tube.

On a slight tangent, I believe the yellow Recons will prove to be more durable as the clear plastic Nerf blasters are more brittle (but stiffer) than the regular colored blasters.

#300652 Most durable bike pump?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 June 2011 - 07:07 AM in General Nerf

I'm looking to replace some Big Blasts and Ultimate Missile Blasts with forward placed bike pumps. However, knowing how abusive I am to my pumps in the middle of a skirmish, I was wondering if there were any recommendations as to durable bike pumps. I currently plan on using the $8 Schwinn (that I see many people using), but knowing how difficult pumps are to remove once installed, I would prefer to spend more now and hopefully find a bike pump that lasts (and not have to tear up the blaster later should something break). Any thoughts?

#300660 Most durable bike pump?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 June 2011 - 11:34 AM in General Nerf

Thanks for the input guys. Do you guys treat these pumps roughly and they still last? When using stock pumps in an Ultimate Missile Blast, I pump so furiously that I absolutely destroy unmodified pumps (I either pull them straight out of the shell or the handle breaks off). I need a pump to be able to handle this type of abuse.

#300690 Most durable bike pump?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 June 2011 - 04:21 PM in General Nerf

One thing you gents are missing is the comparison of internal pump tube diameters. To be perfectly honest, ball pumps, as suggested in the second post are going to be much more difficult to pump at higher pressures. Bike frame pumps are likely to be much better suited to use at the 30-40psi that we run many blasters at, due to their design for use at the typical 40-60PSI of bicycle tires. The plastic housing units will be less expensive, the the metal housing units, such as the suggested Bell unit (I also like these, and have used a few) will survive much more abuse. The only problem with the metal pumps I have found is that they tend to be molded together such that if you develop a problem with the shaft seal, you are unlikely to be able to disassemble, repair, and reassemble.

Hmmmm, good point.

I beat the ever-loving piss out of my pumps, and they still work great.

Good to know. I may pick up one of those Bell pumps and try them out.

#300692 Most durable bike pump?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 June 2011 - 04:24 PM in General Nerf

You could always make some kind of mounting system so you can take the pump off when it breaks. While OD varies from pump to pump, a tee with a slot cut in the top lets you put the pump in it with the pump shaft, so it's secure. You can then epoxy the Tee to a blaster and run the proper tubing to it. I'm pretty sure BuffDaddy's homemade does that.

Bike pumps are much more durable than stock pumps because they have a more difficult purpose. Any name brand should do.

I am doing this with the Ultimate Missile Blast, but it will still be annoying to have to replace a broken/busted pump. Also, I really like how clean most people install their pumps into the Big Blast and having the removable feature will not be easy given how securely the pump will need to be installed in the Big Blast shell. Heck, I already broke off the head of the pump with the plastic Schwinn and I was just messing around with it. I have since reinforced it, but it did make me wonder.

#301056 The Non-Exploding Hopper

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 July 2011 - 06:48 PM in Homemades

Very creative. I personally just use two grub/set screws to hold my PVC components in place. I still like the OP's ingenuity.

#303102 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 August 2011 - 11:47 AM in Nerf Wars

I know for sure I can't make the 17th, but there's a chance I can make the 24th. No need to change the date to the 24th for me though. I'll try to give an update later.

#303103 TEPAW 4! Reunion ~ PA war

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 August 2011 - 11:54 AM in Nerf Wars

I will most likely be there.

#304144 New Nerf Series!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 31 August 2011 - 05:14 PM in General Nerf

The new blasters are essentially shooting mini frizbees. Compared to the foam disks, darts are about as aerodynamic as cannonballs. It's obvious the improved ranges are a result of aerodynamics rather than anything going on inside the blaster itself.

If these blasters are going to be of any use, the disks will have to be modified, or a homemade solution will have to be discovered. Any modification to the disks will have to add weight which will cause them to fall somewhat faster, therefore losing their main benefit.

Not necessarily, unless somehow the change in rotation of the disk creates aerodynamic forces which resulting in negative lift somehow. Just because something is heavier, that does not mean it will fall faster. A heavier disk might result in a slower moving disk, though.

#304145 TEPAW 4! Reunion ~ PA war

Posted by shandsgator8 on 31 August 2011 - 05:18 PM in Nerf Wars

You can consider me a definite now. I don't know if you answered that previous poster's question, but can we post things we'd like to sell in this thread? Also, will an address be given for the new location?

#304343 TEPAW 4! Reunion ~ PA war

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 September 2011 - 02:11 PM in Nerf Wars

I am trying to sell a few things; I am willing to negotiate the prices the day of the war. Here's a link to my NH sale thread.

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=21501

#304395 TEPAW 4! Reunion ~ PA war

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 September 2011 - 07:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't do the 17th or 24th of September. I may be able to do early October, though.

#304575 NJNO 2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 September 2011 - 09:55 AM in Nerf Wars

Count me as a possible.

#304594 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 September 2011 - 06:49 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there; looking forward to meeting you all.

#304758 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 September 2011 - 06:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Is a dremel still needed? I can bring my cordless one.

#304788 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 September 2011 - 07:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war ChaosPropel; thanks again for hosting!

#305368 NJNO 2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 October 2011 - 06:37 PM in Nerf Wars

Count me in as confirmed!

Andtheherois: if we want to sell/trade stuff at your Nerf war, can we post in this thread?

#305372 NJNO 2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 October 2011 - 08:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm looking to sell:

1. Stock orange Furyfire; used but in good condition [$10]
2. 8 x almost new 6 dart box (N-Strike CS) magazines [$13 for all eight]
3. Buzz Bee Missiles. Two are used and yellow while four are NIP and white and light up. [$5 for all six]
4. Original Vulcan (I think it is a "first edition"). In fair shape; some minor scratching and dirt/dust. It is complete with belt, belt-ammo box, and tripod. Batteries not included. This is for local pick up...unless you want to pay the large shipping costs. I figure we can do the transaction at a Nerf war, such as andtheherois's Nerf war in October. [$10]
5. NIP Nitron scope (from the Vortex Nitron); It's still in the plastic bag it came in. All I did was take it out of the box. [$12]
6. NIB Air Tech 2000. The box is obviously in pretty bad shape. [$25]
7. "Absolver Mav" with three total shells. Two shells have 7 barrels and 1 shell has three. I've never done an official range test with the 3 barrel shell, but I the 7 barrel shell (with the longest barrels) gets about 45-50 feet. It takes about 40-45 total pumps which is actually about 22 pump "cycles" since this is a dual action pump. The dart spread is about 1.5 to 2.0 feet at 45 feet. As for price, I'm asking for $50. I don't know what the going price for something like this is, so if you think it should be priced differently, I'm open to counter offers.

More info and pictures here: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=21501

#305546 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 October 2011 - 07:29 PM in Nerf Wars

I could make 10/30/2011, most likely. Sundays work much better for me than Saturdays.

#305600 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 October 2011 - 05:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Who could make it on Nov. 5th, at Beall E.S.? I think 10/30 may be too short notice, but having a war around Halloween would be cool.

Thoughts?

Most likely I can't make 11/5, but there's a small chance I could. ChaosPropel, did you mean 11/6? That would be a Sunday while 11/5 would be a Saturday.

#305601 NJNO 2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 October 2011 - 05:18 PM in Nerf Wars

WEATHER UPDATE

It looks as if it may be raining from the middle of the week to the end of it. If it turns out that this does happen, The war will have to be postponed to any weekend after the 22nd. At this time, the 29th and the 5th seem like good options. I'd like to hear from attendees which weekend is better, or offer an alternate weekend.

I can't make the 29th and it's unlikely I can make the 5th.

Most Sundays would work for me.

#305604 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 October 2011 - 05:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Yes, I did. Sorry.

11/6 SHOULD work for me.

#305606 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 October 2011 - 05:41 PM in Nerf Wars

Is Beall E.S. an elementary school in MD?