Grinch's Content

There have been 603 items by Grinch (Search limited from 24-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#20934 Yet Another Ss1 Mod

Posted by Grinch on 08 March 2004 - 09:11 PM in Modifications

I've modded my SS1 thrice before. The first time, I tri-barreled it with Crayola markers, but I was unhappy with the results, so I tried PVC. Anyhow, I didn't like the tri-barreled results, so I ended up single barreling it with brass. Now, I've decided to redo it, once again, with a breech loaded CPVC. Making four mods on one gun.

Just to let you know, people, there are going to be a LOT of pictures on this page.

First off, in an SS1, the plunger tube has an orange triangular piece that provides a locking mechanism (because the gun could previously switch between one and two barrels). However, I did away with this function, as well as the whole triangle piece itself. For people who are curious, this is what this triangular piece looks like:

Posted Image

Originally, for my brassed SS1, I had bored out the plunger tube so that its ID would be the same as a 1/2" piece of PVC's OD, so I could squeeze the PVC inside the plunger tube (the PVC was nesting the brass). There are two reasons why this was not a good idea. First of all, the plunger would hit the PVC before it could reach the end of the shaft. Second, after countless rams with the PVC, the plunger was probably weakened dramatically.

The concept is a bit hard to understand, but here's a picture that may help. Props to Yakman.

Posted Image

As you can see, the plunger tube is widened. All I did was shove a piece of PVC inside.

Anyways, once all was good and done, I had the gun looking like this, covered in electrical tape goodness:

Posted Image

The above modification I did back in December. I didn't get good results at all. This is because there are no air restrictors in the plunger tube. This makes it so that the plunger does not build up much pressure. On top of that, I used a brass barrel, which does not have much friction, and doesn't allow much pressure to built up inside of it.

Okay. A few days ago I took my Secret Shot apart again to re-examine it. I completely scrapped the whole PVC/brass barrel, and started over. Using hot glue, I glued a 1/2" CPVC coupler to the top of the plunger tube, without pushing it inside. For people that don't know, a 1/2" CPVC coupler has an OD that is roughly equivalent to the OD of a normal piece of 1/2" PVC pice. I added several layers of glue and wrapped the whole deal in plenty of electrical tape to achieve a tight fit back in the case.

The electrical tape is so tight and supportive that the coupler can barely budge when it is protruding from the SS1 case. I also stuck some foam backer rod in there for even extra support.

I cut myself a 1/2" CPVC barrel about 4" long, and pushed it into the coupler. The gun itself shot at least 55 feet, but I'm guessing it went over 60. Either way, the SS1 outdistances my Lock 'n Load.

The reason this mod gets so much better range than the brass one is because CPVC has a smaller ID, which allows the dart to built up more pressure.

By the way, the reason the case is partially cut off is because the gun was previously tri-barreled, like I said. Oh, and by the way, Secret Shots and Eagle Eyes should be the overrated guns, not the Lock 'n Load and the Tech Target. :wink:

Comments, questions? Enjoy the breach loaded SS1.

~Grinch~

-
--
---
--
-

The coupler in the case, wrapped in tape:
Posted Image

Gun without barrel in:
Posted Image

Gun with barrel in place: (by the way, it doesn't look like the barrel is straight, but it is)
Posted Image

#49161 Old Screenshots

Posted by Grinch on 09 March 2005 - 08:44 PM in Site Feedback

For some random reason, I just found a bunch of old screenshots I took of NC and NH back in the day. I just thought I'd post 'em here because they're kind of cool to look at.

Sorry, large filesizes. 56k beware!

http://img225.exs.cx.../6431/nh7ok.jpg

http://img225.exs.cx...aven_com7zh.jpg

http://img225.exs.cx.../2933/nc8rv.jpg

#57126 Image Posting Tutorial

Posted by Grinch on 10 June 2005 - 12:51 AM in Site Feedback

I originally posted this on NerfHQ, but I think it would be helpful here as well. I realize that Spectre has already wrote a great general tutorial, but I thought this one would be more specific for those who like, well, pictures.

How to Post Images on Nerf Haven
by Grinch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 1

Go to http://www.imageshack.us/ .
Posted Image

Step 2
Once you arrive at the page, click the Browse button.
Posted Image

Step 3
A dialog box will pop up. Locate a picture on your computer. Highlight it, and click open.
Posted Image

Step 4
You should now be back at the ImageShack homepage. Click "host it!".
Posted Image

Step 5
Find the link on the ImageShack page that says "Direct Link to Image" next to it. Copy it to your clipboard by typing in CTRL+C or by using the Edit>Copy on the menu bar at the top of the screen.
Posted Image

Step 6
Post your picture on the Nerf Haven forums! When you are starting a topic or replying to a post, paste the image link into the text box by typing CTRL+V or by using the Edit>Paste function on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Make sure you include the image tags around the link:
Posted Image

#11283 Lnl Question

Posted by Grinch on 11 October 2003 - 01:38 PM in Modifications

Ok, I have a question. When you cut off the fins on top of the LnL, does it leave a big gaping hole on top of the case? Also, for the knob coming off the trigger. I don't want to have holes all over the place...

#13457 Cutlass Hose Handle

Posted by Grinch on 30 November 2003 - 03:04 PM in Homemades

I put together the basic Cutlass Hose Handle homemade design, and I've got a few bugs. It's very solid, but there are many leaks. After I patched them up, the dart doesnt budge. Any comments?

EDIT: Alrighty, I found out where the leak was. It was right by the tubeless tire valve, so I used some Marine Epoxy Putty to see if it'll seal it.

#16696 Multi Barrel 750

Posted by Grinch on 19 January 2004 - 06:17 PM in Modifications

You must not have done the BIC pen mod correctly. Remember, you must completely remove the old spring, and make sure the segment of plastic from the pen is long enough. If you don't do it correctly, you'll pay for it. I learned the hard way...believe me, it ain't fun when you realize your 1500's trigger just snapped in the middle of a war.

#10912 Nhq

Posted by Grinch on 04 October 2003 - 12:24 AM in Off Topic

Trent, how have you managed to survive on these forums since March? I mean, we got rid of Ecko in what, 23 minutes?

#13185 Let It Be - Naked

Posted by Grinch on 24 November 2003 - 12:25 AM in Off Topic

For any die-hard Beatles fans (such as myself), I seriously suggest you pick up a copy of Let it Be - Naked. It's the Let it Be album without all the orchestral crap that was added in by Phil Spector. The Long and Winding road sounds...like a completely different song. Awesome CD, anyhow.

#14787 Fitting A Pump

Posted by Grinch on 21 December 2003 - 12:45 AM in Homemades

My basketball pump fit absolutely perfect in a 1" schedule 40 PVC coupler, and with a little bit of Plumber's Goop, it was airtight.

#2902 April Fools

Posted by Grinch on 02 April 2003 - 05:04 PM in Off Topic

What does "****" mean. Is it N_E_R_F? Let's see, Nerf.

Guess not.

#9700 Rawray's X-bow Mod

Posted by Grinch on 15 September 2003 - 05:49 PM in Modifications

C'mon, does anybody have an answer?

#34932 Custom Scout Prototype

Posted by Grinch on 23 August 2004 - 01:40 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

#9670 Rawray's X-bow Mod

Posted by Grinch on 14 September 2003 - 11:56 PM in Modifications

I can't seem to find Rawray's brass X-bow mod anymore...was it lost in the server move?

EDIT: Actually, none of the mods are loading up with pictures.

#10612 How Do I Post A Pic

Posted by Grinch on 28 September 2003 - 05:08 PM in General Nerf

You need to sign up with an online image host. For small images, go with Village Photos, but for something larger try Image Station.

#11484 Thrift Stores?

Posted by Grinch on 15 October 2003 - 09:42 PM in General Nerf

A thrift store is a store that people turn in old merchandise to be sold second-hand. You know, like the Salvation Army, Value Village, etc.

#17667 Shrunk Plunger

Posted by Grinch on 31 January 2004 - 01:27 AM in Modifications

I didn't do the FF mod, but the problem on mine turned out to be something with the stock gear mechanism. If the plunger is loose, you just need to make sure it's fitting in with the notches in the case. And if worse comes to worse, there's nothing that a little hot glue and duct tape won't fix.

Another thing: I actually modified the gun for my cousin to prove to him that I could do it without having it appeared as being modified. Naturally, I used clear PETG barrel tubing, and I saved the stock barrel that I cut off from the plunger shaft. I sanded it down so it would fit snugly around the PETG, and fit it back in the case. The gun pretty much looks like a normal Eagle Eye with a stock barrel...and a 1" piece of clear plastic extending out of the front for some reason...

Basically...reinforce it.

#30939 Nf Cosmetic Mod

Posted by Grinch on 12 July 2004 - 12:49 AM in Modifications

A'ight. Another one. This is what I started with:

Posted Image

I'll get right into it. Using PVC pipe cutters, I cut the shell.

Posted Image

I took out the barrel, and glued a piece of 1/2" Sched. 80 PVC on the brass for extra support. It's the part wrapped in electrical tape. I made it about 1mm longer than the brass.

Posted Image

Next, I bored out the inside of the 1mm of PVC I left overhanging the brass. I did this so it would fit flush and snugly over the Nite Finder's barrel base, shown here: (props to Rags)

Posted Image

The final barrel assembly, plunger shaft and all.

Posted Image

Next, I had to widen the hole for the barrel to come out of in the shell. I did so, and placed foam rubber to keep the barrel straight and secure.

Posted Image

The final product.

Posted Image

The first ridge, closest to the shell, is the original cylindrical object that goes around the NF's barrel. The second cylindrical object is a coupler. Why? No reason.

Enjoi.

#24540 Nerf World

Posted by Grinch on 20 April 2004 - 12:13 AM in Off Topic

Nerf World 2.0

It's back. It's blue. And it's ready to rule.

Nerf World, after a several months of down time, is back. We have so much new content, our web space had to be upgraded to 50 MB.

We now host Foam Fortress. I am happy to announce new members of our NW team: Jangadance, IronRhino, Vassili, Lech, and Talio. Both sites were obviously very popular, and we both shared common goals in creating an "ultimate" Nerf site. When FF closed, it needed an up-and-running Nerf site to host it's content; Nerf World.

We've spent a long time perfecting this. Hope you like it.

Nerf World

#24410 Eab/1500 Integration

Posted by Grinch on 16 April 2004 - 08:10 PM in Modifications

Well, this is my first integration, and I think it's pretty good. If managed to fit the 1500 internals into an Expand-a-Blast shell.

The internal pictures didn't come out. I'm really angry about that, but it's too much of a hassle to open the gun back up. Anyways, the 1500 tank is located where the forestock used to be. This is also where the foam is in the front of the gun. You can see the PETG barrel coming out of the front of the gun.

The gun is fired by pulled back on the large, foam contraption at the back of the gun. This pulls the firing pin. I can't explain the setup. Basically, I took an old barrel peg. Not the air restrictor type, but the kind the dart actually slides over. Since these are hollow inside, I wrapped the 1500 firing pin in electrical tape, and slid the post over it. With a little hot glue, it was secure. Then, I wrapped an electrical tie around the little plastic bend on the top of the barrel peg, and brought it out the back of the gun.

Posted Image

See the holes on the top of the barrel pegs? I stuck the tie through there.

Anyways, I also got the pump tube to come out the space in the back of the gun along with the firing mechanism. The reason there's a space there is because in the Expand-a-Blast there's originally a stock that pops out. After removing the stock, there plenty of space to toy with.

Anyways, here's the finished product from the side and user's point of view. Once again, I'm sorry that the internal shots didn't come out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

<EDIT> I found the following picture: it's the internals of the gun. However, this is an outdated shot. The whole "air restrictor" firing mechanism is not there yet. Just to let you know, this original design was faulty, but I'm just posting it so you guys can get a general idea.

Posted Image

#20874 Painting Techniques And Types

Posted by Grinch on 07 March 2004 - 06:12 PM in Modifications

Well, you should always use primer before you paint it.

#24559 Nerf World

Posted by Grinch on 20 April 2004 - 04:14 PM in Off Topic

Who does the drawings on the "drawings" page? Are you planning on adding more?

I do, and yes, we will be adding more.

#13706 Sweet 16th

Posted by Grinch on 04 December 2003 - 07:47 PM in Off Topic

Happy birthday, Diablo! Hope you have a good day.

#12481 Some Questions

Posted by Grinch on 06 November 2003 - 07:15 PM in Site Feedback

1. I believe it goes through an automated system, because the second you register you can start posting.

2. To find out how long Nerf Haven's been around, just look at Cxwq's joined date. It's around mid-September. And, he started this Nerf site because, the extremely popular Nerf Online had just closed, and all the veterans needed somewhere confined to go. Nerf HQ was too "n00bish", and NC was just...there. Necessity is the mother of invention.

3. Hmm. When you joined, this site was already this weird-ass whitish color. Little do you know, the forums used to have an extravagant black and blue scheme...dark, easy on the eyes. Anyhow, Cxwq switched hosts, and it's been a little hectic through the last few weeks. He's a married man, with a kid and a job, so naturally working on a Nerf site for a bunch of kids isn't necessarily top priority. He's still writing the new skins. And working on the avatar gallery. I've got an article pending. So, he's a busy guy, and you'll just have to have patience.

Hope it helps.

#12161 My Site

Posted by Grinch on 30 October 2003 - 08:06 PM in Off Topic

Here it is http://com3.zipforum...mairsoftgunscom and if anybody could help that would be great just PM me. I know it sucks but I'm going to ad alot. :D

Uh, some tips:

Spell "Off Topic" right.
Spell "Trading" right.
You might as well get rid of the new members forum. Unlike NHQ, you're not going to have a new guy every day.

#11134 The Animatrix

Posted by Grinch on 07 October 2003 - 09:55 PM in Off Topic

i heard it was really bad

Dude! Listen! Do you realize that this topic was started 8 months ago! 8 months! That's 245 days ago! That's 5,880 hours! That was 352,800 minutes ago! That was 21,168,000 seconds ago! That's a long time! Nobody wants to read about something that got posted 2/3 of a year ago!

Don't bring up old topics.

#24417 Eab/1500 Integration

Posted by Grinch on 16 April 2004 - 09:50 PM in Modifications

Great job, dude. Did you ever get your second shot working?

Yeah, I did. Like I said, the top one has a big foam contraption on the back, which is used for the trigger. The internal shot down below is outdated. The current internals look nothing like that.

#41016 Gmail

Posted by Grinch on 06 November 2004 - 08:46 PM in Off Topic

Don't you have any friends?

I miss the days where Gmail was exclusive. Now it's a fad because everybody has got one.

#10727 What's Up With Nhq?

Posted by Grinch on 29 September 2003 - 06:52 PM in Off Topic

I've talked to Spanky several times on AIM, and I can tell you that the problems are not related to hosting...because Spanky uses a fraction of his dad's server to host NerfHQ, and if the server was down, the whole site would be down, not just the forums.

The problem is bandwidth. Every time someone views a thread, it eats up bandwidth. And NerfHQ is, without saying, the most populous Nerf forum on the net, so Spanky's wee 5 GB bandwidth limit isn't sufficient--especially when combined with the portion that is used up with his dad's site.

To get NerfHQ up faster, you can help. Spanky needs 5 gigabytes more bandwidth, which is a painfully high fee of $79. Donations are greatly appreciated. To make a donation, contact The Infinite Shindig or me (mgrinch_nm).

Now, this topic has already been discussed several times on numerous boards (especially NerfEvolved), so stop asking about it.

#52673 Foam Assassins:the Adventures Of Narf!

Posted by Grinch on 17 April 2005 - 01:44 AM in Off Topic

Personally, I have a feeling that the comedy in that strip is an inside joke between you and your clan members.

...because I sure don't get it. ;)

#34830 Scout Question

Posted by Grinch on 22 August 2004 - 12:31 AM in Modifications

I can't seem to understand why modding the Scout without brass is better. Wouldn't any barrel replacement be better than a stock barrel? I wanted to put PETG in, I've heard the stock barrel is better. What's up?

#13725 Maxshot Mod

Posted by Grinch on 05 December 2003 - 12:00 AM in Modifications

I checked out my Mods-Directory on NW, and it appears that there is still one mod you guys haven't mentioned. I don't know how good it is, but hell.

http://nerfevolved.f...ons/maxshot.php

Just to let you know, I did Cxwq's Max Shot mod, and it is very, very sturdy and performs exceptionally well. My only problems was when a friend accidentally pushed the 9/16 brass too far into the 17/32 brass will inserting the PVC barrel into the coupler, and the 2" stub of 17/32 brass ripped right out. I had a hell of a time opening it up and jamming the brass back in the white tube, and as it turned out, the white tube cracked a tiny bit. After sealing this with a bit of hot glue, all was well again, and after I put the gun back together, it performed better than it did before.

I suggest doing Cxwq's mod unless you can't get brass. If you do decide to do, however, make sure not to jam the PVC into the coupler.

#13178 Light Storm

Posted by Grinch on 23 November 2003 - 09:24 PM in Off Topic

They suck. They don't shoot 10 feet and the darts suck. Furthermore, the light inside the gun actually requires you mailing away for an additional battery. Don't waste your money.

#10238 Tts Mod

Posted by Grinch on 23 September 2003 - 12:00 AM in Modifications

Check it out-yeah, I know it's in the forum contest, but I wanted a topic for feedback.

Tech Target Set: Constricted Brass Barrel

#2453 Lnl Mods

Posted by Grinch on 20 March 2003 - 01:31 PM in Modifications

He gave you a Lock 'n' Load?!?!? God damnit, those things go for 50 bucks on eBay.

Anyway, just take the yellow cocker of you lucky son of a...

#13449 Nerf Hq, Down!

Posted by Grinch on 30 November 2003 - 01:44 PM in Off Topic

I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but the bandwidth counter will be reset on the 1st, and it's not necessary to make a topic about it.

#2396 No-purchase Regrets

Posted by Grinch on 19 March 2003 - 05:53 PM in General Nerf

Two weeks ago I saw an AirZone Bazooka at WalMart. I went back a week later and it was gone. I am so damn pissed at myself for not buying it. Has anybody else ever done that before?

#20235 Nerf In Aus

Posted by Grinch on 28 February 2004 - 11:49 PM in General Nerf

Stores are not going to start stocking Nerf guns just because you want them, or because you have a couple of connections to employees.

You can't wait for them to come to you. You gotta go out and look for 'em, man! It makes it more fun when you find something good.

#16050 Valencia

Posted by Grinch on 09 January 2004 - 01:55 PM in Nerf Wars

You're in the middle of nowhere, dude.

Grinch is the only person I know of that lives within an hour of there.

Actually, within twenty minutes.

But I really don't want to have a two person war.

#14484 Airbrushes...

Posted by Grinch on 16 December 2003 - 10:57 PM in Modifications

Using my relatively expensive Badger Airbrush, the 200 NH, I was able to do a pretty spiffy camouflage job on my TTS. The only way that you can really do a good camo job is with an airbrush, because it's really the only art tool that applies a controllable, even, and very light coat of paint on a surface. The picture doesn't really do it justice, though. Tell me what you think.

Posted Image

#20729 Commando

Posted by Grinch on 05 March 2004 - 01:55 AM in General Nerf

I know his real name because I bought some darts from him. Kinda wish I didn't because the quality isn't too great,they make good fodder for shot guns or my power clip.

His darts are about an inch long with a bb covered in hot glue, but the bbs are hardly set into the FBR at all, are often off center and the hot glue is less than uniform.

Well, considering most of the guns he sells include at least twenty darts, he probably doesn't put a lot of time into them.