uranium's Content

There have been 18 items by uranium (Search limited from 22-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#344249 Nerf elite darts bulk sale

Posted by uranium on 14 January 2015 - 09:58 AM in Darts and Barrels

I saw those a while back, but decided against those darts and went for the "Koosh" darts for the increased thickness of the dart and what I believe is a better tip design. There are several sellers that offer deals like the one you posted with the same fake elite dart tip design that use a thicker foam that works better for flywheel blasters and allows a better seal for spring and air powered blasters. If you do get some of these, or a package from another vendor, please post up a review so that we can have more information when looking for alternatives to expensive Nerf branded darts.

#344189 Crossbolt Official!!

Posted by uranium on 12 January 2015 - 10:57 AM in General Nerf

Looks like this one will be another one of those "Target Exclusives" for now as Amazon has no information on the Cross Bolt. That being said, looking at the actual production pictures has me thinking happy thoughts because it appears this has the potential to be a very compact and very well performing plunger operated blaster. I am going to go out on limb and hypothesize that the priming handle is connected to a rear pusher arm that slides the dart forward into the barrel while priming a rear facing plunger, much like the Centurion, just better. I will have to wait until next month, given that it is in stock then, to get my hands on one of these as I am trying to limit my new blaster purchases to one a month. -_- If this blaster has a decent sized plunger tube, then it looks to be a solid option for some wild integrations. Thanks for the heads up RS Gunner.

#344143 Cyclone Shock

Posted by uranium on 10 January 2015 - 10:57 PM in General Nerf

The Cyclone Shock shoots incredibly well for a stock blaster. It does shoot quite a bit harder than a strong arm. I say harder because I have not yet had the chance to do a range test with it as the weather is a bit damp here.

As for my previous issues with reloading the blaster, I have refined the above to increase reload speed. It is possible to load a dart into the cylinder at the top "barrel" position. Using the top position allows me reload the blaster in two rotations vs 3 or 4. Also, since the cylinder is rotated at the end of the priming stroke, it is possible to have the blaster primed and still be able to rotate through to empty chambers for reloading without having to fire a dart.

Overall, I'm still really liking this new blaster, and I have to say it's the best mega blaster available.

#344105 Questions on the Nerf N-Strike Elite Stryfe

Posted by uranium on 09 January 2015 - 04:00 PM in Modifications

I tried the older n-stike mags in my Stryfe before I took the locks out and it was a disaster. I would have to hit the mag between each shot to try to get it to feed and ended up just getting another blaster that would accept the n-strike mags. The problem comes from a small lock that exists at the top of the blaster and blocks the plunger from extending forward. This lock does not have any electronic switches to interface with and removal will not incapacitate the blaster. As for darts, it will run elite and streamline darts or any aftermarket darts that have the same style head, including the "koosh" darts. The Stryfe is a good blaster once the top mag lock is removed and I would have no problems using one as a primary or secondary.

#344100 Cyclone Shock

Posted by uranium on 09 January 2015 - 02:36 PM in General Nerf

Is it just a mega size strongarm?

For the most part yes, however there are some operational differences that I both like and dislike.

I dislike that the turret is fixed! This right here is a royal pain in the rear when it comes to reloading this blaster. The fastest way that I have found to reload is to insert two mega darts at a time going into the second most lower chambers that are located to the left and right of the center post and then rotate the cylinder two clicks (it does not rotate freely) and then continue loading. I see this being cumbersome to deal with during a war and would most likely revert to 1 at a time if I had to retreat.

I absolutely do approve of the firing mechanism for this blaster. The priming handle is what operates the turret, meaning that there will never be any of those annoying jam problems from the plunger firing before the turret turns as happens with the Maverick, or with the blaster jamming if a dart doesn't eject as with both the Strong Arm and the Maverick. This priming and turret rotating system should be the new standard for Nerf revolvers and mimics how the Hammershot operates.

I really don't want to cut this blaster up as I just got it and have been waiting to get my hands on one for a long while, but the day is coming that I am going to attempt to remedy the loading issue that is present with this blaster. For now though, a 6 shot mega revolver is going to be so much fun to mess around with, and I have to say that overall I am really impressed. Now for Nerf to just release the new mega firing Berzerker. As much as I wanted the cyclone shock, I have been more anxious to get an example of the Berzerker.

#344097 180 Setup Question

Posted by uranium on 09 January 2015 - 12:28 PM in Modifications

Out of general curiosity, is there any reason you wouldn't want to just run a LiPo battery pack that fits in the battery holder area of the Rapidstrike? The use of a LiPo battery pack is the only way that I have gone with modding my electric blasters and thought that it was a superior method to the individual Li-ion cells since LiPo has a better discharge rate. Also, using just one battery pack means that there is only one battery to charge. Again, not trying to throw stones, just wondering why the individual cells would be preferential to an all in one LiPo pack, especially when one is already going to be rewiring the blaster for 180 size motors.

#344096 Cyclone Shock

Posted by uranium on 09 January 2015 - 11:48 AM in General Nerf

The title says everything. I wanted the Cyclone Shock since I saw the leak of it last year and the youtube reviews just made me want one more. So with out further ado, please enjoy the pics below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#344095 Houston Area Nerf War 2015

Posted by uranium on 09 January 2015 - 11:10 AM in Nerf Wars

So it looks like the end of March/first of April is out, so lets move this back a few weekends and make it April 25th with a rain date as May 9th. That gives more time to get more people interested as well. I don't expect that this will be a 50 person group, but the only thing stopping that is word of mouth. I have a bunch of friends that I am trying to get out to this event and if everyone does the same thing, this could be a great time. I have no familiarity with using facebook, however, I do know that people set up events using it and that might be an additional way to attract attention and get more people involved.

As for location, I do personally like Bear Creek park and it is near (~20 minutes) to where I am located as well. There is enough room to fit a rather large group and the areas that I am looking at aren't used that often.

#344056 Houston Area Nerf War 2015

Posted by uranium on 08 January 2015 - 11:59 AM in Nerf Wars

As the title says, this is the thread for planning a nerf war in the Houston area for the year 2015. I have not yet picked an exact date, or location and am open to any and all suggestions for either variable. What I do have is an abundance of blasters (still in stock form for now) and an abundance of darts (800 brand new koosh darts still in the packaging). I am brand new to running a Nerf War, but I do have experience with paintball scenario games which I will be relying on heavily for this first go around. With all of that said lets get onto possible locations and dates:

Locations: I have been looking more to the west side of Houston and into the Katy and Cypress areas. So far the list is as follows (address in parentheses): Bear Creek Park (Bear Creek Pioneers Park, 3535 War Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77084), Cullen Park (19008 Saums Road, Houston, TX 77084), Nob Hill Park (10300 Timberoak Drive, Houston, TX 77065), and Terry Hershey Park (Link to Park Map as it is a very long and narrow park with many entrance points).

Dates: Looking in the March to April weekends. Easter is the 5th of April this year, so that date is out for most people. For a start, I am going to say that the tentative date would be March 28th, with a rain date of April 11th.

Game Types: Pretty much TBD at this point and will be dependent on turnout. If interest and participation is high enough, and if the location has enough trails while being sparse of bystanders, I will come up with a scenario game that will last 4 to 6 hours (honestly though, odds of this happening seem to be extremely low, but here's to hoping).

#344050 NSR Shark 40 Motor Voltage

Posted by uranium on 08 January 2015 - 10:36 AM in Modifications

That is quite a parts list and I can now see why you are worried about your $300 budget. Two pieces in your build sheet caught my eye, the Pololu stepdown regulator and the Burst Wizard. The Burst Wizard seems like a nice all in one fire control unit, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished by using some electronic timers and setting the correct time delay to a relay for the pusher motor? It would take some additional work, but it would be a very simple system to duplicate once designed. With the stepdown regulator, are you going to be able to cool it enough to maintain the 9V that you want to send to the pusher motor? Also, what pusher motor are you planning on using? The stepdown regulator appears to have a voltage rise that goes from 9V to 10.8V as current rises from 0 to 2.5 amps.

The rest of your build seems really nice and I would like to see the finished product as I am curious as to how the flywheel motors are going to handle the increased voltage.

P.S. Do you have a link tot he BSUK switch upgrade kit and motor cover? I haven't been able to find those pieces with the prices included yet. Thanks.

#344026 NSR Shark 40 Motor Voltage

Posted by uranium on 07 January 2015 - 05:55 PM in Modifications

I did check out the FK-180SH-3240 motors and they seem like another good upgrade option, especially with the carbon brushes. I will most likely go with those for a stockish/cheaper modded blaster for messing around at stock type events. I have already ordered three of those motors to use as pushers in my two current Rapidstrikes.

In regards to budget for upgrading an Rapidstrike, the following is the parts price breakdown for my first mod attempt:

Motors: $28.50 (matched pair of Blade Xtreme 180 Pro motors from ebay)
Rev Switch: $4 (Microswitch from Radioshack)
Wire: ~$3 (Total for 3 spools of 18 gauge from Radioshack was $21, but that was for 25' spools and that's enough to do at least 7 blasters. For a better price just go to Lowe's)
Solder: ~$0.25 (Just a guess as there is very little used and solder costs around $2 a spool on Amazon)
Battery Charger: $8 (Neweer B3 LiPo 2s-3s charger on Amazon)
Battery: $30 (Racer's Edge 2800mAh, 25C hard case battery on Amazon. This is your most variable cost besides the motors)
Battery Volt Meter/Alarm: $3 (Standard 1s-8s battery voltage alarm on Amazon)
Duct Tape: $0 (Everyone should have duct tape laying around.)
Deans Plugs: $0.30 (Get 10 for $3 on Amazon)
Heat Shrink: ~$0.50 ($6 on Amazon for a 48 piece package)
Soldering Iron: $8 (60 watt soldering iron from any online shop)

Time to complete the project and realization that you just spent over $100 on a nerf blaster that kills darts....sadness that goes away after the battery is charged and the first dart goes down range. B)

#344004 Anyone for Nerf Wars in the Rio Grande Valley,Texas?

Posted by uranium on 07 January 2015 - 10:24 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably the farthest south nerfer on nerfhaven. That being said, would you be willing to drive to say Corpus Christi? I ask because that is probably the closest larger town that others could meet at besides San Antonio.

I have seen a few people on here post with ideas of a Houston war, but I am starting to think that they have given up on having any kind of a war which is pretty sad. For a 3 hour drive to Corpus, the war would probably need to be a fairly large turnout promised to make it worth the drive for most people. Good luck.

#343985 brass on amazon

Posted by uranium on 06 January 2015 - 05:06 PM in Darts and Barrels

Thank you for posting this up. I have looked for brass for my Stampede project around my area and have come up with a blank each time. It looks like the hobby stores are no longer carrying brass in the sizes that are needed for Nerf purposes.

#343984 NSR Shark 40 Motor Voltage

Posted by uranium on 06 January 2015 - 04:17 PM in Modifications

Zombona, I looked up the specs for the Tamiya motors and all of them only recommend a voltage of between 2.4V and 3.0V. I would like to stay LiPo which would basically mean overvolting those motors by about a third with a fully charged LiPo. How have your motors held up to the 3.6V battery pack? The Tamiya motors look to be a good upgrade compared to the stock motors, but a step down from the NSR Shark 40k motors (which is not a bad thing considering the step down in price of 50% to 75%).

As promised, below is the picture of my two modded blasters.

Posted Image

The RS is so much fun to mess around with. I am still needing to make a covering for the motors before I start banging it around, but for just range tests and rate of fire test it is awesome. The sound alone from the motors is a little freaky for a Nerf blaster and pretty much negate ever being able to sneak up on someone. I keep going back and forth on whether to get another battery pack that fits inside the shell, or just leave that beautiful duct tape work for the whole world to see.

The Stryfe is a little disappointing after seeing what the RS can do. It's just stock motors for now with a 16 gauge rewire and the LiPo pack installed. The Stryfe is still much better now than it was in stock form, but I would say 75% of that is from the removal of the locking system that keeps the trigger from being pulled if a dart isn't present in the magazine (I was having to hit the bottom of the magazine between each shot just to get it to fire before I took that lock out).

Now to just figure out what motor to buy for this next mod :unsure:

Edit: Corrected spelling.

#343946 NSR Shark 40 Motor Voltage

Posted by uranium on 05 January 2015 - 05:33 PM in Modifications

meishel, I have not yet read about the RPM ceiling yet, but what you said does make sense. I think that I might end up going with a set of NSR 3028 motors that have more torque than the Sharks that I listed in my first post, but I still need to weigh if I want to cut the shell again....I was really wanting a stock looking blaster with amazing power :ph34r:

RedFear, This will be a single stage system so I will be needing the torque as you and meishel stated. I was hoping though that you might have more information on adding heat sinks to these motors. The heat sinks that I have looked up all seem to jsut attach to the outer shell of the motor. I am guessing that this is the only for them to go to get the additional cooling that is needed, but if there is another way to force cool these motors, or a different heat sink design, I am open to all suggestions.

As I am still a FNG, this unfortunately will be my last post for the day (unless I get lucky and a Mod allows me bypass that) which means that I won't get to respond or upload any pictures until tomorrow, however, I will be lurking around the rest of the site and watching this thread. Thanks again for the help.

#343938 Any nerf wars in Texas?

Posted by uranium on 05 January 2015 - 03:25 PM in Nerf Wars

I joined this forum primarily to get to join into a Nerf war group. For anyone who wants to pick some times and locations, I can help out with supplies and trying to get some extra people to join in. I'm in the Northwest Houston area, but I can pretty much meet anywhere in Houston or the surrounding areas, maybe even Austin or San Antonio if the group is going to be large enough.

#343933 NSR Shark 40 Motor Voltage

Posted by uranium on 05 January 2015 - 02:42 PM in Modifications

As the title says, I am trying to find what voltage works best with the NSR Shark 40K slot car motors. The two voltages that I am looking at are 11.1V or 14.4V as I plan on using a LiPo battery pack to power the blaster. This is the third flywheel blaster that I am modifying, but the first one that I am looking at running more than a 2s LiPo battery pack in. My first modification was to a Rapidstrike using two Blade 180 Extreme motors and I have had very good results. My second flywheel mod was using a Stryfe, but I only did minimal mods (Rewire with 16 gauge wire and removal of locks) when I added the LiPo battery.

I am wanting to use the NSR 40k Shark motors on this blaster to try something a little different while also keeping the shell intact. I will be adding diodes to induce a voltage drop to the pusher motor to control firing speed, and may at a later date play with a fire selector switch to control the rate of fire.

I will try to add some pictures of the modded Rapidstrike and Stryfe late tonight, but be forewarned that the RS underwent a very bad hack job being that it was my first mod ever and I was more interested in getting the thing working than the looks. Thanks in advance for the help.

#343854 Houston area Thanksgiving war

Posted by uranium on 03 January 2015 - 12:00 AM in Nerf Wars

I've been lurking for about a month now waiting to be able to post. I know this thread is old, but where is everyone on trying to get together a Houston area nerf war in the coming year? At this point, if it's just a one on one duel, I'm game. Location isn't a big factor, but I am in the northwest area.