KBarker's Content

There have been 122 items by KBarker (Search limited from 09-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#105615 Switch Shots Ultra Mod

Posted by KBarker on 15 May 2007 - 12:21 AM in Modifications

You guys would be amazed with how much pressure a bottle like that can take. With the cap on, you can actually roll a small car over one without it blowing up.

#105346 Petg Barrel Rf20

Posted by KBarker on 13 May 2007 - 09:52 PM in Modifications

I saw a cheap RF20 on Ebay and couldn't resist, so now I have two!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#104471 Mav Help...

Posted by KBarker on 07 May 2007 - 09:06 PM in Modifications

With the Mav, you can also get the results you're describing if you pull the trigger too fast. Try pulling it smoothly and see if that gets rid of your problems.

#104301 Epoxy

Posted by KBarker on 06 May 2007 - 08:51 PM in Off Topic

In my experience, the worse the glue smells the stronger it is.

Elmers < hot glue < super glue < epoxy

#104247 Rf20 Barrel Replacement?

Posted by KBarker on 06 May 2007 - 05:18 PM in Modifications

I have just started selling a barrel spacer for the RF20 that aligns the barrels so they're all straight. Works with PETG, and possibly other barrel types, I just haven't tried them yet.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8429

#104246 Petg Barrel Rf20

Posted by KBarker on 06 May 2007 - 05:14 PM in Modifications

I've decided to start selling my custom barrel spacers for this gun. $15 each shipped. Sale thread here:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8429

#103865 Petg Barrel Rf20

Posted by KBarker on 03 May 2007 - 11:00 PM in Modifications

Did you machine the barrel support too or did you buy and then drilled the holes? And if you're looking to do stuff to the inside you could sand down the release valve on the bladder and cover the bladder with 50 of the long balloons for a higher firing pressure.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, nice job! It's as clean as everything else you do.

I cut and drilled them custom out of .25" polycarbonate. I thought about the release valve mod, but I don't see the point since it gets off all 20 shots anyway. I did do that mod to my Magstrike though. Banding makes me nervous. :P

#103750 Petg Barrel Rf20

Posted by KBarker on 03 May 2007 - 02:59 PM in Modifications

I haven't done any Nerf in quite a while because I've been busy with my "real" hobby - combat robotics. Check it out here if you're curious: http://www.putfile.com/kbarker/images
Videos: http://maxhavoc.com/
Anyway, I put reworked an RF20 turret with PETG barrels a while back, but I didn't use enough epoxy on the base, so they all had leaks and the gun sucked. Then I got the brilliant idea to inject Elmer's with a syringe into the back holes of the turret to seal the leaks, and presto, it shoots almost as good as my Magstrike. I couldn't find anything worthwhile to do inside the gun, so I just hot glued the "rapid fire" switch closed and called it good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#103743 Six Barrel Lbb

Posted by KBarker on 03 May 2007 - 02:11 PM in Modifications

So with 6 barrels from one gun, you would need most likely a minimum of 10 inch barrels. Just a suggestion, it still looks kick-ass that way.

Um you lost me there... It currently has 10 inch barrels.

And Again no I havn't had a chance to fire any thing other then stock darts out of it.

I think what he meant was that six 10 in. barrels is equivalent in air volume to one 60 in. barrel. So if the gun fires good with a single 18 in. barrel, your barrels should be roughly 3 inches long. I would add a little bit for the length of the dart though, 5-6 inches with stefans sounds about right.

#103741 Maverick Drop Clip

Posted by KBarker on 03 May 2007 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

I didn't use the outer stock shell, do you think it will still work?

If you can still mount the spring-loaded rod so that it's stable enough to support the turret when it's in the gun then sure.

Let me know if the PETG turret makes any significant difference.

They don't. But I'm doing it now because I plan to replace the stock plunger chamber.

I got a huge increase in range when I replaced the barrels on my mav with CPVC. PETG would probably work equally well. The trick is to make them go all the way to the front of the turret to maximize their length, and them ram the darts down the barrels. This means you can't fire stock ammo though.

#100109 Leaking Homemade

Posted by KBarker on 19 February 2007 - 11:48 PM in Homemades

Try brushing soapy water on the joints, then lightly pressurizing it. Where you see bubbles, that is a leak. Mark these points, then clean off the PVC and apply epoxy.

#100108 Cdr-s.m.

Posted by KBarker on 19 February 2007 - 11:45 PM in Homemades

You could also wire up the solenoid to the guts of a cheap RC car, then you could trigger it manually from 40 feet away when someone walks by. Awesome grenade!

#99809 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 07:48 PM in Modifications

Did you have to add a substantial amount of grinding to get that Petg to fit?

If you mean grinding the NF body, yes I had to enlarge the hole at the front, it wasn't difficult at all. The PETG is just cut to length and deburred.

My only question for you is where did you get your spring? It seems like the perfect thing for that sort of mod.

I got the spring from McMaster, part #9637K26. Yes, they only come in packs of 5, and you have to cut it to length. However that spring size looks like it will be usable in lots of other guns. It's roughly the same wire size and overall diameter that everyone uses in their NFs, it's just longer.

#99788 Parachute Grenade?

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 02:26 PM in Modifications

Sorry for the double post but I finished the write up with no pics should I post it as a new topic or add it here?

-Skitzo :D

I think here would be best to minimize clutter.

#99774 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 03:17 AM in Modifications

These mods are posted in detail around the forums, but I hadn't posted them here yet. Here are my guns:

My PETG Magstrike:
Posted Image

Posted Image

My minimized NiteFinder, has an aluminum barrel and custom belt clip:

Posted Image

My clipped NiteFinder, has 6 and 10 shot removable magazines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Maverick, with CPVC barrels:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And my NiteFinder Rifle, with a double length PETG plunger tube and huge spring:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99772 Parachute Grenade?

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 12:30 AM in Modifications

That's a very clever and simple mechanism, seems like it would work quite well. It would be cool though if you could shoot it 100 feet in the air, then it would have a much greater spread and the darts would seem to fall from nowhere at high velocity.

#99718 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 13 February 2007 - 02:18 AM in Modifications

The beast is back together and firing again. I epoxied a piece of polycarb to the side of the plunger tube with a hole in it for the rear screw hole. I then used up the last of my epoxy to glue the thing in. I think it will hold. While I had the gun apart I also added some craft foam to the plunger head and put a screw into the joint at the front of the PETG tube that holds the PVC on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That thing's pretty frickin' sweet. How did you splice the two plunger rods together?

This was rather tricky. First I just cut the front off one plunger and the back off of another. I joined these by supergluing in small strips of carbon fiber that fit the slots in the rod. Then I cut 4 tiny slots in the whole mess and pressed some small nails in the slots. Then I dremelled and sanded everything smooth. I realized after I'd done this that the front needed to be extended so the longer spring had room to compress, so I added in a piece of polycarb. It is held in with epoxy and more of those small nails.

#99696 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 12 February 2007 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Unfortunately the gun broke after only about 20 shots, but not where I expected it to. The huge amount of hot glue I used to secure the plunger tube to the body gave way. I think I'll need to use the screws somehow. Answer time:

Forsaken_angel24- There were darts in the barrels but you do have a point. It really does sound like a dry fire, I'm not sure why. Perhaps the barrels are too short.

monkey_with_a_nf- Mcmaster part number 9637K26. Unfortunately you have to buy 5 of them and they need to be cut to length, since they come 11" long.

Pvt.McFlurry- Ranges I'm not sure on, since my house isn't big enough. From the video audio however, I can estimate the velocity of the dart at 100-150 FPS.

Retiate- I couldn't get the plunger out since the tube was glued in. Now that it is all disassembled anyway I'll add some foam to it.

z80- Yes it is the stock plunger head, with two stock O-rings on it. The PETG I'm using is slightly smaller than the stock plunger tube, so it creates a very good seal. I can actually stop the plunger by sealing the end, impressive considering how powerful the spring is. PVC or metal tube would probably work great for the plunger tube, I used PETG since it is lightweight. And being clear so you can see the spring is just badass.

#99644 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 12 February 2007 - 01:55 AM in Modifications

I just finished my prototype of a NF rifle. I call it a rifle since it has the barrel length and plunger size of a large rifle, even though it has a small pistol body. Here it is:

Posted Image

As you can see, the plunger tube has been replaced with a PETG tube that is twice as long as the stock one. Two NF plungers have been cut up and spliced together to make a very long rod. The regular spring has been replaced by a gigantic spring from McMaster, the same wire thickness as you would normally mod a NF with, but twice as long. This gives the plunger enough air capacity to operate with an 8" barrel. Here it is cocked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The barrels are coupled, so I can easily change the barrel length or type. I also made a 3-barrel shotgun attachment, it functions quite well.

Posted Image

This is just a test model to make sure all the parts can take the force. I forgot to add padding to the plunger head, so it will probably explode soon. That's OK cause I've been planning on making a plunger rod and head from scratch anyway. Once I accomplish this I'll be able to turn any NF into one of these beasts, the only parts I need from the gun is the body and trigger mechanism. The next version will look as good as it works. I really want to add a foregrip, since it is really too powerful to hold like a pistol. Here are more pics for the hell of it. Check out the video here:

NiteFinder Rifle Video

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99476 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by KBarker on 08 February 2007 - 03:23 PM in Modifications

One advantage of the PETG is that the finished clip was actually lighter than stock, so a 20-shot clip wouldn't be terribly heavy.

#99420 Pvc Pressure Tank

Posted by KBarker on 06 February 2007 - 08:14 PM in Homemades

The other thing to keep in mind is that although the pipe is rated at that pressure, the glue joints are more variable and could fail at a much lower pressure. Always use the primer and PVC cement for a pressure tank.

#99359 10% Off At Hasbrotoyshop

Posted by KBarker on 05 February 2007 - 08:59 PM in General Nerf

I picked up two of the new yellow/grey night finders today and they came with a coupon in with the instructions.
Its for 10% off nerf products at the hasbrotoyshop.com . It says to enter NERF10 at the checkout to receive the 10% off and its good until 12/31/07

Just tried this out, and it works! Just enter NERF10 in the promo code box. Thanks for the tip!

#99132 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by KBarker on 02 February 2007 - 12:46 AM in Modifications

I got more PETG yesterday, so here is my promised write-up. The first step is obviously to pry off the back of the clip. This is glued on, to it's a bit of a pain. Just take it slow and be careful, and it will come off without trouble.

Posted Image

Once you've got this piece off, pry out the air restrictor washers. It will look like this now:

Posted Image

Now mark the clip where you want to cut those wing things off. I used a bandsaw to cut them and also the old barrels. I cut 1/8" or so out, then cleaned up the cuts on my mill. A dremel would do the job just fine.

Posted Image

Now comes the drilling. First, drill all the barrels through with a 9/16" bit. At first I though I could just press the PETG into these holes, but they are too tight. I destroyed 3 pieces of PETG trying. Instead, use a 5/8" bit to drill about 3/4 of the way down, leaving a 1/2" or so at the back that is still 9/16" diameter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those holes are still a little too tight for the tube, so switch back to the 9/16" bit and run it through again, wiggling the clip to ream out the holes slightly larger. That takes care of the clip body, now just cut your PETG to length. I used 3" long barrels, which are the longest you can fit in the Mag's slot. If you want to be able to fire stock darts, make them a bit shorter. Now press them in one at a time, using a vise.

Posted Image

The back end should look like this:

Posted Image

All that's left is to glue the back piece back on. I used epoxy. Goop it all over the back, but be careful not to get too much into the tubing. Once I put the back on, I set it up on a couple blocks and piled some steel on it while it dried.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it! The new clip should fire about 10 feet further now.

#99122 Speedloaders...

Posted by KBarker on 01 February 2007 - 11:57 PM in Modifications

OK, I get it now. I didn't realize that the top barrel was a duplicate of the other barrel. Sounds cool, I may use this on my next gun. Thanks everyone for the clarification!

#99112 Speedloaders...

Posted by KBarker on 01 February 2007 - 10:20 PM in Modifications

I know, this is a noobish question. But no matter how much I search, I can't figure out what the hell a speedloader actually does. It looks just like a short section of tube taped on top of the main barrel in all the pictures I've seen. Does it just hold an extra dart for you so you don't have to dig it out of your pocket or something?

#99092 How To Make Your Own Nerf Chronograph

Posted by KBarker on 01 February 2007 - 05:58 PM in Modifications

This is a great idea! The two microphones ensures that both sounds are loud enough to be heard, very clever! This is a much better way to compare a gun's power than ranges, which are mostly subjective.

#98962 Titan Missiles

Posted by KBarker on 30 January 2007 - 05:41 PM in Homemades

Isn't the point of the fins to stabilize the missile in flight? What is keeping your pool noodle from spiral out of control when fired?

Simply the weight in the front, just like a regular dart. The fins help, but they may not be necessary.

#98903 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 28 January 2007 - 05:55 PM in Modifications

You own a mill? Wow, I'm envious. How much did it cost?

I got it from a friend at a bargain price of $1000.

#98899 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by KBarker on 28 January 2007 - 03:17 PM in Modifications

Was that PETG purchased from OMC?

Yeah what is the ID and OD of the PETG that you're using? And did you have to sand the inside of the clip at all the make room for the PETG? Anyways nice job it looks clean and effective.

Yes, this is OMC's PETG. The OD is just over 9/16", so I drilled through the old barrels with a 9/16" bit. This was too tight, no matter how much I filed, sanded, etc. I smashed 3 barrels trying to press them in. So I drilled it with a 5/8"bit, but not quite all the way through. This left a 1/2" or so section towards the back that was tight enough to press in. I still had to ream out the 9/16" holes quite a bit till I could actually get the tube in.

#98867 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by KBarker on 27 January 2007 - 06:19 PM in Modifications

The only problem I can see right now is with the video. I can't see where the heck the darts went.

Sorry, the darts are pretty small. You can tell the difference just by the sound though, the stock clip's darts are silent when they hit since they landed on the carpet.

"I like the way it looks without all that extra crap in front. Except for the fact that I would have left the top tabs on cause I use it to help me pull the mag out."

I usually pull the clip out by the belt clip, so this isn't a problem for me.

#98862 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by KBarker on 27 January 2007 - 05:00 PM in Modifications

I modified one of my Magstrike's clips with 3" long PETG barrels. I didn't take any pictures during the process, but when I do the other clip I will do a full write-up. Probably be a week or so since I ran out of PETG. The barrels alone seem to add 10-15 feet in range, you can see that in the video. The only other mods to this gun is plugging the hole in the front white piece and giving the bladder more room to expand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A comparison to the stock clip. As you can see I also cut off those extra tabs in the front, I didn't see any use for them.

Posted Image

The barrels are much longer than stock, which I believe helps the power and the accuracy. However there is no room for a stock dart head, these fire stefans only.

The video:Magstrike Vid
That red wall in the background is 45 feet away, measured with a measuring tape. I was careful to use exactly the same number of pumps for both clips and drained the tank and refilled it in between. I even used the exact same 10 darts in both tests.

#98861 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 27 January 2007 - 04:52 PM in Modifications

[quote]
Oh well, the internals are easy enough to swap out with replacements from another $6-$8 NF.
[quote]

Yeah, but I would have to smash the gun apart to get at them, since it is epoxied shut. The important parts are held on with screws though. Video is up: . I measured that red wall to be 45 feet away.

#98816 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 10:03 PM in Modifications

Even if the clip did advance when you cocked the gun it still would not be semi-auto.
Semi auto is pull the trigger,pull the tirgger,pull the trigger.
This would be cock,shoot,cock,shoot,cock,shoot.
Right now its cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel,cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel,cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel.

Semi-auto guns are like the Hornet and Blastfire.

I agree, I guess my wording was a little unclear. Still, a cock-shoot weapon with a 10-shot capacity and near NF power would be pretty sweet. I just remembered that I lubed the whole plunger with white lithium grease before I epoxied the case shut, so this gun is probably screwed :P

#98814 My First Homemade

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I have no experience with these, but I think sprinkler valves are electrically powered, so you'll need a battery to power the valve.

#98805 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 08:09 PM in Modifications

I get most of my metal from Online Metals, www.onlinemetals.com. The clip is advanced manually, so it's not really a semi-auto. It would be very tough to rig a setup to automatically advance the clip when primed, but it would be insanely awesome!

#98793 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 12:08 PM in Modifications

Nice job man. Do you own that big drill press or whatever the hell it might be, or is it at your school or something?

That's a milling machine, and yes I own it.

#98777 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 12:11 AM in Modifications

Finished the 10-shot clip:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll try to do a write-up of how I made this. First, drill the holes. For this clip, I chose to not drill the large hole all the way through, but instead use a smaller bit to go all the way through. This way, you can't accidentally shove darts in too far, nor can they be sucked in when you pull the plunger back. I also think it will give a better seal with O-ring. I used 9/16" for the large hole (this is a perfect, tight fit on the PETG) and 3/8" for the small one.

Posted Image

Then I cut the aluminum stock down using the mill.

Posted Image

Next, I slid this piece through my slider, with the spring plungers in. They made a line where they contacted the clip piece.

Posted Image

I then took the spring plungers out and temporarily replaced them with screws. Then I put the clip in the slider, tightening the screws when the holes were lined up. This left marks on the clip base where the screws dug in.

Posted ImagePosted Image

OK, so remember that line we made earlier? This serves as a guide to line up the mill for the divots. Making the bit centered on the line would work fine, but making it just slightly toward the front side of the clip helps the spring plungers push the clip onto the O-ring. Then just divot on the round marks with a drill bit or ball-end mill. The depth is somewhat critical, if they are too shallow the ball won't catch very well, and too deep makes the clip rattle around a bit. 0.020" deep seemed about right.

Posted Image

I rounded the corners of the clip with a round-off bit, but a file would work fine.

Posted Image

Now that the base is done, we need to make the barrels. Cut the PETG in to 3" or so sections, and deburr all the edges.

Posted Image

Press them into the base, making sure they are straight.

Posted Image

Then just put some glue on the base of the barrels, and the clip is done! The range appears to be just as good as my 6-shot clip. It looks pretty friggin huge on the gun, but it's not terribly awkward to use.

#98727 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 24 January 2007 - 12:55 AM in Modifications

[/quote]
Dear sweet jesus no! If I understand your last post right, There is lithium grease on the O-ring. That stuff will corrode any rubber. I tested its "eating away" abilities last year. I took an O-ring and put it on an old cd stacker pole. The O-ring wasnt too tight but just enough to keep it in place. I then gave it a good dose of lithium grease. When I came back to it in a months time the ring had broken.
[/quote]

Oops! :wacko: I will wipe off the grease and put on some silicone, I think I have some around here. I don't think the grease has been on there long enough to cause damage, but I have extra o-rings anyway. Thanks for letting me know about it!

[quote name='CaptainSlug' post='98716' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:16 PM']
If you want a plastic-safe lubricant there's nothing finer than silicone spray lubricant.
And considering how much tailoring is required to fit this on to a nitefinder I don't foresee a kit being all feasible.
[/quote]

Yeah, I can't see kit being possible. The machining is really time consuming and even then the buyer of the kit would have to do a lot of work to get it put together.

[quote name='InkJet' post='98721' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:30 PM']
That is very very nice. Great first post!! Did you do this on a basic mill and lathe, or CNC? Because I own a regular mill and lathe, and might try to do that.

Do you have a catch on the metal where each barrel is? I see little divots in the metal, but all there seems to be on the metal piece attached to the NF is screws coming in. What is the adhesive looking substance near the bottom of the barrels? Didn't mean to interrogate you there, just curious, it's an extremely ingenious design, great job!!!
[/quote]

I don't have CNC, although I do have a DRO. This could be done with a very small mill just fine, you just need a T-slot bit for the clip carrier. I used a ball-end mill for the divots, but a regular drill bit should work fine. The things that look like screws are in fact spring plungers, Mcmaster part #3408A108. They have a little spring inside that pushes a small ball into the divots. This makes it snap into place, lining up the barrels. The adhesive is just to keep the barrels in. Using a 9/16" bit made the barrels very tight in the holes, but I figured a little glue was necessary to keep them in. The specific glue I used is a epoxy designed for plastics I got at my local Ace Hardware. It's my new favorite glue, since it dries in only 15 minutes and appears incredibly strong.

I am working on the 10-shot clip now, I should have it finished tomorrow. I am not just making it bigger than the 6-shot, I have some improvements in the works as well.

#98706 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 23 January 2007 - 10:38 PM in Modifications

Wow, it's really great to see a lot of new members posting up innovative stuff rather than being noobs. Welcome to the boards too.

Is it PETG for the barrels? You should read up on some stefan making tutorials. You use Foam Backer Rod(Also known as Cauck Saver) to make darts that will achieve superior range.

Yes, that is PETG for the barrels. I have some of Angel's red FBR on the way so I can make better darts. Right now I am using dart tags with the tips replaced with BBs.

#98678 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 23 January 2007 - 06:14 PM in Modifications

I improved the seal dramatically last night by adding an O-ring. I realized all I needed to do was trim the stub barrel that hooks to the plunger just enough to allow an O-ring to sit there. It ended up being far easier than I thought it would be. I just filed down the stub and kept test fitting the ring, and eventually it was short enough to allow the clip to slide. The resistance was still high, so I lubed it with lithium grease. The O-ring made a huge difference in the gun's power, it is now nearly as strong as my singled NF.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image