DX-Robert's Content

There have been 575 items by DX-Robert (Search limited from 24-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#68347 New Dart Design!

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2005 - 12:03 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Imagine those shot at you from a homemade nerf gun with 70 PSI behind it. Marbles will fly faster and hundreds of feet further than any golf tee could. A golf tee weighs next to nothing. I'm holding one right now and I couldn't imagine that this little thing could hurt that much more than a simple stock micro. Yes if it were shot out of a homemade, but no if shot from a stock gun. Also, at the worst the tee would hurt. At worst, the marble could go into you. :cry:

#91493 New Jersey, Bergan County Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 07 October 2006 - 11:17 PM in Nerf Wars

I have 3 confirmed. We have our own ride and will be there on time.

#91363 New Jersey, Bergan County Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 06 October 2006 - 04:52 PM in Nerf Wars

I can definately come, this being so close to where I live. 5 other members of the Ridgewood Militia said they might be able to come, but I doubt that will be the case come Sunday. I definately won't be alone this time.

No one will care if we're there. It is, after all, Glen Rock. Even so, there's plenty of backup parks. I suggest that the hosts do designate a few parks as backup, as while I've got some in mind, you wouldn't like the sheer size of them.

#90393 New Jersey, Bergan County Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 September 2006 - 09:10 PM in Nerf Wars

I can bring a digital or video camera and can come if it is indeed before 5 PM that Sunday. I've got a new Longshot and can't wait to mod and use it. I'll also talk to the Ridgewood Militia about the war, but since we're in the college application chaos, I can't promise turnout.

#90420 New Jersey, Bergan County Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 September 2006 - 09:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I've been there before [the war that was rained out]. It's a nice park, although a bit on the small side [small to me is under a mile long]. There's plenty of good cover and many different attacking/defending options.

#235073 New Logo And Favicon

Posted by DX-Robert on 08 June 2009 - 08:07 PM in Site Feedback

After staring at the same logo for about 3 and a half years, it's refreshing to see a new one. Nice job, looks great!

#235093 New Logo And Favicon

Posted by DX-Robert on 08 June 2009 - 09:06 PM in Site Feedback

You're one to talk, I've been to more wars than you have months of membership, plus at least another half year. Unless you're being sarcastic in which case I'll need a new set of eyes soon as my topics read-vs-posted in ratio is probably over 100 to 1.

#68120 New Members

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 November 2005 - 08:35 PM in Site Feedback

Now I am aware that this topic is months old, but I don't think it's too much of a concern seeing how there aren't any current threads in this section plus this is only 7 from the top of the page. If someone with power thinks otherwise, then I wouldn't be surprised if this post is missing tomorrow. Also, I do have somthing useful and insightful to say here, making replying in an old topic somewhat more justified. But I'm digressing.

I've been a lurker here for the better part of a year; shut out by closed registration. I had almost given up on the Haven until I came back recently, noticing that registration had been reinstated.

I get the impression that many here think all new members are n00bs simply because they are new. But there are those rare instances where a quality member pops up and may not be given a chance due to something like closed registration. I have an admin and two moderator positions at three water war community forums, so I know the attitude at NH toward n00bs all too well.

My site prebans members that have been a problem on other forums. The real troublemakers never make it to us. Even if that isn't practical on a large and popular forum such as NH, it could help a bit.

Another thing, the Administration here has been doing a great job. Allowing new members to join and post quickly reveals who wants to become a good and loyal member of Nerfhaven and who wants a 30 year Special. That works much more effectively than simply shutting out every new member and losing grip on the fanbase.

#331032 New Releases Mod Contest Poll

Posted by DX-Robert on 18 June 2013 - 11:10 PM in Modifications

I am going to pencil in hero's 4b in a rampage shell.

^ This is my vote as well.

Posted Image

#335408 NIC Primary

Posted by DX-Robert on 14 November 2013 - 11:25 PM in General Nerf

Aiiiiiiiiiir guns! You can spend $30-150 on a springer homemade, or <$10 on an easy to mod air contraption. You lose some RoF, but generally anything requiring 5 or less pumps can be taken head to head against pump action springers. Air blasters tend to have high velocities, so you can get in close and take more accurate shots for hits (you don't need to be the guy in the back taking pot shots).

It really depends on your style of play and personal preferences though. I used nothing but springers for years and only recently switched to nothing but air. It hasn't really affected my play style that much. The main difference is off the field. Maintenance on springer homemades gets annoying if you nerf frequently, especially SNAP variants. Air blasters have really trivial malfunctions that are easily fixed in most cases. The worst things that can happen to my Naked Zerker are the hopper coming off, which can be reglued, or the O-ring wearing out, which can be replaced for like 30 cents. Air blasters can be beaten into the ground and then you can just get another one for little cost. They usually don't look great aesthetically, it's a really functional choice. Go with springers if you care what it looks like.

#349810 NIC Style and SAMBO are stupid names....

Posted by DX-Robert on 03 December 2015 - 03:03 PM in Off Topic

As far as I've seen around the hobby, the term "Superstock" is near-universally understood for identifying events with stock ammo, modified blasters.  "SAMBO" has been almost completely phased out in favor of Superstock.  IMO, the tags "Stock" and "Superstock" are ideal.

The real problem lies with "NIC-Style".  That needs to be rebranded, however, its replacement must be universally understood.  "Hardcore" can mean so many different things to different people.  200 FPS?  250 FPS?  300 FPS?  400 FPS?  HPA?  Singled Titans?  Homemade air blasters?  Slugs?  Domes?  Slingshot domes?  Milsim?  Abandoned buildings?  Woods?  Overnight?

"NIC-style" usually describes a type of Nerf limited to roughly 250-300 FPS, with hoppered 4Bs as the upper power limit, with slugs or 3/0 fishing weight domes or sillydomes, played mainly on grassy fields, light woods, elementary school grounds, or indoors at airsoft facilities.  While these parameters may vary, the overall feel of the style does not.  The name of the term may not describe it correctly, but what it describes is widely understood.

I feel that "Hardcore" is too generic to successfully identify this type of Nerf.  "DIY" is decent, but you don't *need* a homemade or homemade ammo in order to enjoy an event.  With the proliferation of 3rd party China dart types, stock ammo keeps getting better and better.  I see them eventually replacing slugs (Snipped USCs can already replace #6 slugs, but you need a strong air blaster in order to hop them reliably, and they perform poorly in wind like #6s).

I don't like the idea of introducing more acronyms due to the huge amount we already have.  I honestly have no idea what NIC-Style could be replaced with that would be widely understood and agreeable.

#162833 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by DX-Robert on 14 July 2008 - 11:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Left out the great state of Connecticut...the Nerf scene here basically doesn't exist though...

#161898 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by DX-Robert on 07 July 2008 - 10:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Please confirm me for this war. I have a 100% attendance record of showing up to wars that I confirm to, so expect me to be there unless the sky starts falling.

#155365 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by DX-Robert on 10 May 2008 - 04:24 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll definitely be there if possible. I'm actually moving from NJ to western CT sometimes this Summer so not sure what the travel arrangements will be. If I can hitch a ride out of Ridgewood I'll make it for sure.

#234206 Nj Apocalypse #8

Posted by DX-Robert on 03 June 2009 - 10:48 PM in Nerf Wars

I am a definite, can't miss Apoc. I may be coming with 1 friend.

#275487 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by DX-Robert on 21 May 2010 - 05:34 PM in Nerf Wars

As of now, I am a definite. Possibly with a guest, but wouldn't bank on it yet.

#115625 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 12 July 2007 - 10:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh, I forgot about that reference. Nibordude has forgotten the world and replaced it with his girlfriend. I will make an attempt to get him to come though.

#114306 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 03 July 2007 - 12:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Speaking of, we need another BCNO. I was going to plan one in April and completely forgot. I'm not sure if Glen Rock is the best location though, as Wilde Memorial Park is very small. Ridgewood has some very nice parks, but the good ones tend to be popular and filled with people.

#114318 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 03 July 2007 - 02:25 PM in Nerf Wars

All the good Jersey wars tend to be in the Southern part of the state. I don't have a car, so I've never made any except APOC, since I was in the area. It would be nice to have a BCNO, for the sake of actually having a war nearby.

#115055 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 08 July 2007 - 06:42 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm going to try and double the current headcount. Bad luck and half-assed mobilization only gave me 2 others for the first BCNO. I should have better luck this time around.

EDIT - I have invited 31 friends who have either nerfed with me before or shown interest in the past. Don't worry, these are not totally random people and none are younger than soph in high school. I'm expecting that the majority won't be able to make it, but a good amount still should.

EDIT 2 - 3 confirmed and 10 maybe so far.

#115719 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 13 July 2007 - 09:02 PM in Nerf Wars

I am interested in buying a crossbow if anyone is in the mood for selling [and I will have money on me].

I was able to narrow down my guest list to 2 confirmed and 7 maybes. That doesn't sound great, but at one point there were 16 maybes. Out of the 7, I doubt any are seriously going to make it. It seems like everyone, including Nibordude, chose this weekend for trips out of town.

#115546 Nj Nerf War (bcno)

Posted by DX-Robert on 12 July 2007 - 10:16 AM in Nerf Wars

Duxburian are you bringing Axl Rose with you?

I don't really know him...

Right now I have 2 confirmed, 13 maybes. I'm going to try and make the maybes confirm yes/no today. I won't be able to supply them all if I get more than 5 people, but oh well. I survived the first BCNO with just 30 darts, of which 12 were stock. Compare that to Apoc, where I brought 450 and returned home with less than a quarter of that.

Label your stefans, but don't expect to recover more than half of what you shoot.

#95104 Nj Turkey Day/thanksgiving War 2006

Posted by DX-Robert on 23 November 2006 - 11:29 PM in Nerf Wars

If I weren't already going to Virginia, I would have definately made the trip. It is a shame, since my friend and I just modded our Longshots [mine to ~75, his to ~106]. :P

#169298 Nj War

Posted by DX-Robert on 14 August 2008 - 10:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm still making the trip down even if attendance stays low. Even small wars can help make you a better nerfer. So oh well, take the hand life deals you and work with it.

#161900 Nj War

Posted by DX-Robert on 07 July 2008 - 10:23 PM in Nerf Wars

The 16th looks good for me. Damn I used to live within walking distance of that place, now it's an hour and a half *sulk*

#168498 Nj War

Posted by DX-Robert on 12 August 2008 - 05:10 PM in Nerf Wars

6 is still worth going for, but it would end up being a short war. There have to be more takers somewhere...

#169547 Nj War

Posted by DX-Robert on 15 August 2008 - 08:53 PM in Nerf Wars

Can't believe I have to take a train at 6 AM to a place down the street from my old house...I'm either going to be wicked early tomorrow or wicked late...depends on what pulls in when and if anything gets screwed up along the way.

If it says you're coming then you better be coming...assholes who back out of a small war at the last minute will be head hunted at the next war they do show at :ph34r:

#170495 Nj War Recap

Posted by DX-Robert on 18 August 2008 - 11:41 PM in Nerf Wars

Pros:
Getting more hits than ever before in a single war, for some reason I was super-accurate that day. Even had an intimidation factor going for the max shot, showered hits all day long.
Finding impossible angles in the playgrounds and making many of them.
The first pistol round, it was like a turkey shoot.
The CTF round - we rushed in, took the flag, and rushed out.
Trying a lot of different types of rounds.
Getting lost in New York on the way out - which was really fun - was in the bottom of Ground Zero, saw the Empire State Building, UN, and other places mostly by accident. Took 3 crossings of the Hudson to get the PATH line right...

Cons:
Shooting my barrel right off and over the fence during a siege round.
The long lag tme in between some rounds.
The train ride in at 5:30 in the morning.
Having the double playground round stopped by the little kids.

#315580 NJFW6

Posted by DX-Robert on 12 May 2012 - 07:28 AM in Nerf Wars

Soooo...I've made a very last minute decision to come (as in woke up, saw how nice it is outside, decided fuck it let's war today). I'm not fully recovered so I'll have to play conservatively and not do much running, but should be fine. I'll be little bit late.

#152530 Njno - April 20th

Posted by DX-Robert on 21 April 2008 - 10:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Wow, I can't believe I missed a war at Glen Rock. Since that's literally down the street from where I live, it's usually a done deal like the past two. Oh well, I'll catch the next one and Apoc for sure.

#304218 NJNO - Now recapping.

Posted by DX-Robert on 02 September 2011 - 06:46 PM in Nerf Wars

I am definitely coming. If someone could make some extra darts for me it would be awesome, power has still not been restored, so I haven't been able to make many. I've got apoc leftovers, so like 50-100 would be great. Slugs springer cpvc fit, common gray foam works. If not that's alright though.

#305123 NJNO 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 28 September 2011 - 11:52 PM in Nerf Wars

Now a definite.

#304810 NJNO 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 18 September 2011 - 08:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I am a strong maybe, haven't got my calendar set that far in advance. Really enjoyed the last one, hopefully someone wants to make mobstacles for the carpe rounds.

#305719 NJNO 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 11 October 2011 - 05:25 PM in Nerf Wars

The 29th is shaky, but I could probably do the 5th. Course, I don't care how hard it rains on whatever date it ends up being on.

#306610 NJNO 3

Posted by DX-Robert on 28 October 2011 - 11:05 AM in Nerf Wars

If I can find someone to perform repairs on my rainbowpump [Ryan appears to be away], then I will be there on the 19th. The 26th depends on which part of the family is hosting Thanksgiving.

#306184 NJNO 3

Posted by DX-Robert on 19 October 2011 - 10:27 AM in Nerf Wars

I voted 19th, but any of those except the 26th look good.

#307382 NJNO 3

Posted by DX-Robert on 15 November 2011 - 02:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Since Thanksgiving is not on the weekend and family plans have been finalized, I can probably make it to both dates now. Weather is looking good for this Sat, dry and relatively warm.

#307519 NJNO 3

Posted by DX-Robert on 19 November 2011 - 12:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Why do I always leave dartsmithing until the last minute? See you guys before the sun rises.

#307795 NJNO 3

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2011 - 12:27 AM in Nerf Wars

GREAT weather forecast for the war, high around 68 degrees and sunny. See you tomorrow!

Wind: Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph <--- Better be.

#311292 NJNO4

Posted by DX-Robert on 15 February 2012 - 10:33 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there if I don't have to work that day. It would be refreshing to see a new venue. I think some of us are so familiar with Babbage that we know how every single tree plays out in several different types of rounds.