shandsgator8's Content

There have been 444 items by shandsgator8 (Search limited from 08-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#351203 Brushless Motors in Nerf (my findings)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 January 2016 - 03:19 PM in Modifications

I think it's totally feasible to keep brushed DC motors idling to reduce spin-up with a simple motor controller, but I assume it would put a lot of wear on them.

It would, and absolutely kill your battery life and increase the complexity of the wiring setup, compared to a direct-to-battery brushed motor setup.

Remzak is correct about brushless motors being very efficient, probably by at least a factor of 5 (I think I remember hearing that brushed motors were about 5-15% efficient while brushless were 75-90%), depending on the setup. And except for the bearings they're practically immortal, as long as you use them as designed.

#354320 Blasters to look out for?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 June 2016 - 03:58 PM in General Nerf

You can do some research by searching eBay for sold prices of various Nerf blasters.

#363498 Best guns/ammo when purchasing for a large group

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 November 2018 - 10:01 AM in General Nerf

+1 on the Kronos and Artemis. These are nice in that users don't need to lug around extra mags. Some big pockets or a simple belt pouch/bag should suffice (except for ball spammers who like to slamfire the Artemis...)

#349850 Best glue to use for Gen 3 Koosh darts

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 December 2015 - 02:37 PM in Darts and Barrels

Anyone have recommendations for which glue to use for reattaching the Koosh heads?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found out the UHU POR expanded polystyrene foam works well, but I want something I can get from a local hardware store.

#354432 battery charger

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 June 2016 - 02:52 PM in General Nerf

Get some IMRs from Lion Wholesale. They are AA sized and can be paired with dummy batteries for some good voltages. Furthermore, they are cheap and rechargeable!

Generally speaking, this is a bad idea. Don't use AA sized lithium batteries, especially if you are able to utilize LiPo packs that can handle higher current draws.

#348139 Barrel Length for Air Blasters

Posted by shandsgator8 on 30 July 2015 - 11:03 AM in Darts and Barrels

There are a few rules of thumb that can be found if you search NH. However, because of the nuanced differences in darts and barrels, the only way to know for sure is to use a guess-and-check method of testing. There are manufacturing inconsistencies among FBR and tubing, especially CPVC, so one can't always expect one brand or source of barrel material to always be the same.

#327456 Ball Valve Torque

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 February 2013 - 10:12 PM in Darts and Barrels

I would drill out the ball value slightly. I did that with my 1/2" valve (used a 5/8" drill bit) and it significantly reduced the torque needed to turn the handle.

#327497 Ball Valve Torque

Posted by shandsgator8 on 02 March 2013 - 04:40 PM in Darts and Barrels

Are both of your ball valves still airtight?

Yup!

#347874 Aspects of an air blaster, what's more important?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 July 2015 - 10:40 AM in General Nerf

This might help somewhat:

http://nerfhaven.com...=1

#350458 Are you able to put super soaker accessories onto dart blasters?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 January 2016 - 10:20 AM in General Nerf

Some of them are ideally used on Nerf blasters:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0026.JPG

#352470 Arduino gun controller mk3

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 March 2016 - 06:17 PM in Modifications

Sweet work

#361235 APOCALYPSE 2017 - Saturday August 5th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 August 2017 - 05:52 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks for posting those pics, Deadshooter. Glad to see how it went, since I couldn't make it this year.

I noticed the guy with the Zing Bow and wearing a fluorescent shirt: anyone know how he fared with that set up?

#352799 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 13 April 2016 - 07:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Dude, the first APOC I went to I didn't have a "competitive" homemade. But if you got something you can work with, then work it. My first time I had an Alpha Trooper for one of the capture type game. The guys were like really? Then they saw what I could do, and were like I want you next round. Granted it was like 4 years ago, but still.

If anything, superstock is more advantageous now than 4 years ago. Advanced flywheel blasters are a huge step up over what was available 4 years ago. From the NIC perspective, I'm not aware of anything which has advanced in a similar fashion over that same 4 year span.

QED: I think if equipped correctly, a superstock setup can work just fine at Apoc.

#352796 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 13 April 2016 - 05:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I am more of a super stock guy as I don't really do the homemade+stefans. I am actually a former XC runner also(tad out of shape though haha). I also do not mind bringing that many rounds as I have around 700 rounds just sitting around doing nothing. I also have 20x 18 round mags. I normally do HvZs so something like this would be a first for me. If you think I will still be ok I would happy to drive on down and check out this event.

That sounds ok, as long as you're careful about dart spamming!

#352790 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 13 April 2016 - 12:47 PM in Nerf Wars

I am going to assume this is not the type of event I can bring my modded Stryfe that shoots only stock darts? Even if I bring enough darts for the whole day?

If you're in VERY good shape, you can do just fine with a superstock blaster, like a well modded Stryfe. I've played with a cross country runner who rocked with a Nite Finder, but that's because he was constantly running and able to flank anyone at any time.

Also, you'll need A LOT of darts. I bring about 300 to my local superstock wars and it's very adequate, but we play on pavement most of the time, so the dart sweeps we do every other round result in near perfect dart recovery. If you use your Stryfe all day at Apoc, you're gonna either spend most of your time dart sweeping or have to bring several hundred and be ok with losing at least 1/3 of them.

#355021 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 15 July 2016 - 01:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm excited to end my hiatus and fight this Apocalypse! Also catch Zubats.

The collective term is a ranch of southerners.

Wrong. The correct term is "mob." The addition of the adjective "lynch" is optional, but recommended for clarity.

#352719 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 April 2016 - 08:52 PM in Nerf Wars

I plan to attend, at least for a little bit.

#318166 Apocalypse 2012

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 July 2012 - 10:45 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe right now.

#297991 Apocalypse 2011

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 May 2011 - 09:51 PM in Nerf Wars

August 6th will not work for me, but the other dates should be fine.

#361434 Anyone Play MLB: The Show on the PS Vita?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 August 2017 - 09:46 PM in Off Topic

If the title applies to you, have you ever experienced freezing issues on load screens or error messages while watching replays of a particular play, such as a home run? I'm playing the 2014 version of the game, but I'm asking if anyone has this problem in any version, given how rare this console is.

Anyone have freezing issues in general on their Vita and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

#361476 Anyone Play MLB: The Show on the PS Vita?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 September 2017 - 03:03 PM in Off Topic

I just have 1 question, why did you ask this on nerg hayven? Sony or the maker of the game could help serverly, or you could look up the problem on google or youtube, but nerf hayven is probably not the place to start looking for answers.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the off topic section was limited to NIC related questions only.

Forgive my assumption that playing with foam shooting toys and the PS Vita was mutually exclusive.

#350546 Amazon Nerf N-Strike Elite Darts Knockoffs - Question

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 January 2016 - 11:54 AM in Darts and Barrels

Do a search on NH; there is a lot of discussion on the different types.

#349457 Am I missing something here?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 November 2015 - 04:14 PM in Modifications

Then it's probably a manufacturing deviation, outlier, or oddity of the battery pack. That's my best explanation without seeing more. Some of the tolerances can be loose.

#349455 Am I missing something here?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 November 2015 - 03:43 PM in Modifications

What do you mean when you say it's "supposed" to fit in the battery tray?

#313287 Alpha Trooper and Secret Strike Discontinued?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 March 2012 - 06:13 PM in General Nerf

As far as I know, neither has been officially discontinued, but there has been discussion online that the Alpha Trooper is no longer available. I've seen the auction prices for a NIB Alpha Trooper on eBay being $35+ and that doesn't include shipping. The BIN price was $80+

#304788 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 September 2011 - 07:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war ChaosPropel; thanks again for hosting!

#304758 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 September 2011 - 06:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Is a dremel still needed? I can bring my cordless one.

#304594 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 September 2011 - 06:49 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there; looking forward to meeting you all.

#303102 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 August 2011 - 11:47 AM in Nerf Wars

I know for sure I can't make the 17th, but there's a chance I can make the 24th. No need to change the date to the 24th for me though. I'll try to give an update later.

#348845 Ads?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 September 2015 - 12:27 PM in Off Topic

Yes, it currently operates off the generosity of Langley, VACC, and other admin/mod staff. It takes money to pay for the domain name, server space, upkeep, and etc.

Ideally the number would be kept to a minimum, they would be hand-picked by staff for appropriateness/quality, and they would be unobtrusive. One at the top and side wouldn't interfere with browsing. I think it's been discussed after news posts, and usually the consensus is that it'd be for non-members/not-logged-in members.

If they start raking in cash, the extra would probably go back into the community somehow - contest prizes and etc. That's somewhat unlikely though.

So Langley & Co. are using their own personal funds to keep NH running?

Bring on the ads!

#348837 Ads?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 September 2015 - 06:31 AM in Off Topic

Does NH need money to continue operations?

Either way, I like the idea of write up submission contents. Maybe that'll keep users here and off of other sites?

#350197 A good Soldering Iron

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 December 2015 - 11:19 AM in Modifications

The Hakko 936 is a great option. It's been discontinued, but I think you can get a new 936 soldering station and pencil iron off eBay for fairly cheap. You'll have to wait for them to be shipped from China, though.

#350199 A good Soldering Iron

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 December 2015 - 11:43 AM in Modifications

It's a Hakko, so it's a good iron. However, it doesn't seem clear exactly how hot it can get and how many watts it is. I don't think you'll go wrong getting that Hakko pencil iron. However, you won't regret getting the FX888D. I spent years settling on a $20 P.O.S. Radio shack 30W pencil iron for years always wanting a Weller or Hakko. A few years ago I got the Hakko and regret waiting so long to get it. I realized that since I spent decades using a soldering iron for many applications, it was worth investing in a very good iron, one that would last for the rest of my building life.

#350168 A good Soldering Iron

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 December 2015 - 04:18 PM in Modifications

Depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want to do with it.

For typical flywheel mods, a 30W or 40W (watts) Radio Shack pencil style iron will suffice, but barely. It'll be good enough for splicing wires, attaching connectors and soldering wires to motors.

However, if you want to build your own battery packs, you'll want an iron with more power. I'd recommend at least 60W.

If you want to use the soldering iron for other tasks, such as sensitive electronics boards, you'll want something lower powered, such as 20W.

So what am I getting at? A more flexible soldering iron will have an adjustable temperature; it'll also cost more.

I personally use the Hakko FX888D, but you don't need to spend that much, although you'll need to spend close to that for a good iron. Another good brand is Weller, such as the WLC100, although I think 40W isn't enough power to safely build battery packs. As long as you won't be building battery packs, I think the WLC100 will be perfect for typical Nerf flywheel mods. You could get the WES51, but that's pretty much the cost of the Hakko.

There are cheaper options with adjustable temperature settings and goes up to 60W: The TrakPower TK-950. I believe it's a rebranded Hakko, but I'm not positive.

As for tips, whatever comes with most of the irons I recommened are good enough for anything you'll need to do with flywheel Nerf mods. I bought a smaller and broader (chisel) tip when I got my Hakko, but I've never used them yet and I've worked on things from Game Boys to battery packs to Graphing calculators to my Nerf Stryfe.

EDIT: Here's an option:http://www.hobbyking...Warehouse_.html

I'm betting it's a rebranded version of a name brand iron, such as Hakko. However, for such a cheap price, I'd be wary. But then again, for such a cheap price, it might be worth trying?

#350240 A good Soldering Iron

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 December 2015 - 04:20 PM in Modifications

Good choice! I still have the habit of plugging in my Hakko and doing other things for a few minutes while I "wait" for it to heat up. But as you said, it heats up so darn fast, I'm just wasting electricity doing other stuff before I get to soldering.

#351662 ? Safe replacement for Ultra Fire 14500 3.6V 900mAh

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 February 2016 - 01:50 PM in Modifications

A high quality 7-8 AA cell NiMH battery pack should give comparable results and be a lot safer.

I'm not too familiar with protected lithium chemistry cells. I get the feeling they're not ideal for our applications since they're not widely used; maybe someone else can explain why. Nickel chemistry based cells (NiMH or NiCd) are pretty safe, but heavier and bulkier. You could try Lithium Iron Phosphate cells (LiFePO4?) which are more forgiving than other types of lithium cells, but I don't know much about using them for Nerf. I think they're most widely in the SC battery size, which would not be ideal for use in a Demolisher.

#351667 ? Safe replacement for Ultra Fire 14500 3.6V 900mAh

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 February 2016 - 04:51 PM in Modifications

It would only require modding to the extent you'd need a way to place the 7-8 AA cells within the Demolisher. Electronically, it should be a drop in mod, based on what you've said.

#355362 5 cents per bottle deposit

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 August 2016 - 07:41 AM in Off Topic

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting rid of mine by giving them away, but not sure if they'll work in NY (or CT).

#355318 5 cents per bottle deposit

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 August 2016 - 05:58 PM in Off Topic

Are any of you New Yorkers coming to Apoc able to cash in water bottles for 5 cents? If so, how do you do it? I have a bunch of 500 ml water bottles that say 5 cents for NY deposit.

#356337 3s Lipo connecters good enough for modded stampede?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 19 October 2016 - 05:39 AM in Modifications

I think the JST connectors refer to the balancing wires, not the "main" wires.