Posted Image
:unsure:

#77 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

That area is structural and adds to the surface area of the stock, which would be too small if the rear frame piece didn't extend down to that point.
This gun is actually going to be kind of small. Atleast compared to my previous homemades.

I won't be mounting the tank to the gun because that would increase its size and weight too much.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 08 February 2008 - 04:33 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#78 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:22 AM

I've made ALOT of revisions to the design of both the gun and the valve/trigger configuration of this gun. I'm trying to simplify and reinforce everything. I don't really want to go into too much detail on what all of the changes mean, but here's the revised CAD design.
Posted Image
Will be less cramped, easier to machine, a little bit lighter, and will hopefully have a much more reliable trigger setup.
I've also figured out how to control the speed of the ramrod forward stroke without limiting the speed of the retract stroke. This setup will be getting a SIGNIFICANTLY higher flow rate than what ABP5k had and includes a much higher operating volume (7ci).

I have high hopes for the performance of the new configuration. I will be tackling this head-on after ECNO.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 March 2008 - 07:52 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#79 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

I've made ALOT of revisions to the design of both the gun and the valve/trigger configuration of this gun. I'm trying to simplify and reinforce everything. I don't really want to go into too much detail on what all of the changes mean, but here's the revised CAD design.
Posted Image
Will be less cramped, easier to machine, a little bit lighter, and will hopefully have a much more reliable trigger setup.

Anyone else think that that thing looks like the matilda from RE4? I like the design and look.

#80 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

CS, I'm concerned you don't make it so that one could pop off the magazine without any horizontal motion. I personally want to be able to yank the mag out, pull out a new mag, and shove it in. Not wiggle the mag out and wiggle the new mag in. Also, the new design doesn't look like it will have a place to put the other hand like every bullpup assault rifle that ever existed.

Edit: didn't realize that the magazine wasn't removable, even though I read the ENTIRE THREAD.

Edited by Eboreg, 03 March 2008 - 12:31 PM.

Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#81 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

In his previous versions the Magazine was non-removable, I'd assume it hasn't changed. Read before you post.

This thing looks amazing, and given the name and the little logo, a Skull and cross-bones would look bitchin' on this sex-machine.

Edited by sam, 03 March 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#82 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

This thing looks amazing, and given the name and the little logo, a Skull and cross-bones would look bitchin' on this sex-machine.

God Damn-it! I will be the ONLY one pedaling sex-toys on this website!

VACC

#83 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

Also, the new design doesn't look like it will have a place to put the other hand like every bullpup assault rifle that ever existed.

You put your other hand on another ARR.

Dur.
-Knowledge Is Power-

#84 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

Also, the new design doesn't look like it will have a place to put the other hand like every bullpup assault rifle that ever existed.

Dur.

There are times when you want to have one hand free.

#85 voidSkipper

voidSkipper

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

Dur.

Then you wouldn't want somewhere else on the gun to put it, would you?

#86 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

Yes, it doesn't have a foregrip. Neither do pistols.
It doesn't need one. But if I decide it does I can just make one that attaches to the hardpoint holes in the side of the gun.

#87 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

Dur.

Then you wouldn't want somewhere else on the gun to put it, would you?

Let me clarify, when you're negotiating thin areas, elevators (like at the UMD war), or doors, you might want to have one hand free. If you're not doing this, you'll want a place to put that hand. I've used a titan and let me tell you, you want someplace to put the other hand.

#88 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:47 AM

I've used a titan and let me tell you, you want someplace to put the other hand.

This comment just makes me scratch my head. This weapon is in form, function, and operation entirely different than the Titan. In fact, I'm having trouble drawing any comparisons aside from the fact that both release bursts of air in order to propell their projectiles.

While I am apt to agree that a weapon which negates the need for a sidearm (as the ARR! appears to represent) generally is more comfortable with a foregrip of some sort, to draw comparisons between what is essentially a machine pistol and rocket launcher converted to fire darts in terms of ergonomics is completely useless.

VACC

#89 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

I rather see the Arr as a battle rifle due to its length. You will agree that long weapons have relatively similar ergonomics right?

#90 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

The need for one or not is entirely dependent upon the weight balance. Since the grip is almost all of the way to the front of the gun I'm expecting to just use a short shoulder strap at the back of the stock.
I can decide later if I want to add a foregrip so it's not really worth debating about it right now.

If the center of gravity lands in the right spot on this weapon it might even be comfortable enough to hold like a pistol without using the stock. We'll see.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 March 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#91 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

The real issue for me was the holsterability of the gun

I'm expecting to just use a short shoulder strap at the back of the stock.

That solves it all.

#92 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

I hate to play the ignorant one, but I'm having trouble understanding the air circuit, could you lay it out for us? I really like the aesthetics of the design, I just want to understand how it works.

Edited by Gyrvalcon, 26 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

-Knowledge Is Power-

#93 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

I hate to play the ignorant one, but I'm having trouble understanding the air circuit, could you lay it out for us? I really like the aesthetics of the design, I just want to understand how it works.

It's going to work pretty much the same way ABP5K did.
Posted Image
Only in this gun I'm using a ramrod which is linked to dual-acting cylinder which will retract when pressurized, and extend when depressurized.
Instead of trying to make a chunky high-flow directional control valve I'm going to make one chunky dump valve and use an off-the shelf Normally open push-button valve.

And that's all I feel like explaining for now. I will start the next phase of construction sometime soon.

#94 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

GUH! I keep getting sick and/or busy.

#95 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Doom's thread about QEVs gave me the virtual kick in the pants I needed to get back to this. QEVs will save me a great deal of hassle.

Also, I am changing this design slightly so that the barrel and its sleeve piece are made out of brass. That way I can solder those pieces together instead of having to deal with o-rings.

The grip may also need to move further forward to make space for the QEV.

I'll figure all of this out once my supplies arrive and I can connect all of the pneumatic components to each other.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 04 August 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#96 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

I'll figure all of this out once my supplies arrive and I can connect all of the pneumatic components to each other.

Fun! :D I donno about you but I love making things, even prototyping..

I can't wait to see this design become reality. :)
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#97 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Glad to be of assistance. I'll admit one of my motivations to post that was to get you back in gear. I don't reliably finish projects but I know when I've stumbled on something useful so I thought it'd be best to get that out before I forgot about it.

#98 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image
Made the receiver and part of a tube adapter.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 August 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#99 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

If your getting your QEV from McMaster I don't think you should need anything above the 1/4" valve. They're really high flow and actuate nasty fast so they should give you all the power you need to shred darts.
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#100 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

.... actuate nasty fast ......power you need to shred darts.....

Seeing as this is neither the X-games nor 1998, I'd posit that your lexicon requires revision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users