Photo

So I Went To The Thrift Store(? About Sm3k)

21 replies to this topic

#1 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

I went to the thrift store and found 2 guns. Both guns were VERY cheap. i got one of those 10 shot dart tag guns for 4 dollars plus tax. the other was 3 dollars plus tax but it does not hold air with the pump. could someone tell me the name of this gun and how to fix it and if any parts will fly out if i open it?

sorry for big pics...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Kid Flash, 20 October 2007 - 11:01 PM.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

That's an SM3k, or SuperMaXX 3000, old edition. I think there is a tutorial on fixing it in the mods directory, but I could be wrong. I also doubt that there is a threat from flying parts, as most of the shell is wasted space. Just watch the space around the turret. The pump may just need to be plugged (it sounds stupid, but I've had a check valve get stuck in the open position and negate any pumping I did), or you may need to replace some of the connections. Worst-case is that the tank ruptured, by that is unlikely.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

There's a small threat of flying/falling parts, from the turret rotation assembly. Just take care when you open it and note where things are, and you'll be fine.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

So I went to the thrift store... and found nothing. Damn.

Nice find though.

#5 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

i looked in the mod directory and saw it but it had a different shell. thats why i didnt know the name i guess. i have one more question(sorry for all the questions). what type of darts does this fire? i tried mega but they just fell out when pointed upside down. micro darts did not fit at all on the polls.

#6 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

Larami darts. They're like megas kinda...

the SM3k supposably is the best old gun out there (crossbow is close. Ummm ROF?) and I'm talking about the yellow one. The green one might not be as good. Shove some PVC down it!
Timothy M-Lick <3

#7 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

i think im going to have to get some petg and nest it in some .5 inch pvc with some etape around it so it will fire my micos and stefans.

(wow another question)
how many pumps when it is plugged? i searched and found nothing about plugging. the modification directory only had one mod for it (blue version?) and it didnt say anything either...

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

I say 4-6 at max. The airtank is probably the size of a SM1500 or 3k.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

thanks keef. ill see what i come up with with 4 and if im happy i might stay or try 5...

#10 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

I'm sorry about the double post but i just wanted to say that i opened it up and plugged the pump. it helped a little bit but somewhere in the tubing there is a leak. if i pump fast and shoot ill be fine. i wont get max results but ill live with that for the cheap price i got it for. now with another question. how do i get the 'freakin' turret out of the gun? its a bitch to get out.

#11 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

For the tubing, you can either replace it with vinyl tubing of the same diameter from a Home Depot or Lowe's, or you can wrap the portion that is leaky in e-tape and epoxy/goop over the tape securely.

As for the turret, I think that there's only one screw (it's supposed to have a wider head than the others) that's holding it to the gun shell. I could be thinking of a different edition, though.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#12 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

Nice find man, I never get anything good from my local thrift store. Hope you fix it.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#13 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

thankyou very much sha. i got the turret out. and clue on how to open it up to put pvc in?

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

You don't need to open it. Rip of the barrels with pliers or use a screwdriver to pry them off. Then take some PVC and glue it into the stubs that are left. To shoot micros, use PETG instead, or nest some brass inside the PVC. (I would avoid CPVC as it is not good for air guns to use tight barrels, and because the air may wind up going out of the gap between the turret and tank if the dart is too tight as to overly-restrict motion.)

#15 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

I made a mod for the Supermaxx 3000 (yellow) a little while ago, it never ended up on the directory, but it should answer most of your questions. For some reason, people say that the Supermaxx 3000 (green) isn't as good as the yellow, but I don't have a green so I cant judge.

Supermaxx 3000(yellow) mod
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#16 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

These seem pretty common at re-sale sales. I found at least 4 supermaxx guns at a local garage sale.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#17 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

thanks for the write up... guess i might as well not finish the one i just started last night. I almost had all the pics for it. 2 more and id be done... I guess i could finish it though because it is SLIGHTLY different...

#18 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

could someone give me some nice close up pics of the internals of the green sm3k? also i found that the green has only one op valve to plug while your yellow has 3.

#19 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

Here are a few pics. I just recently moded mine and took apart the intire rotation assembly and finaly understood it. So if you have any questions about the gun I will answer them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And on the last pic I'm not sure how the dark brown piece goes. So is someone would post a pic of the dark brown trigger piece that wold be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#20 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

I see a few differences, but yeah, go ahead and finish the write up, mine never made it on the Modification Directory. The green has a few different things about it, for example my yellow advances the turret by air power instead of manually hitting that black part. And the overpressure release valve is different I guess.

Finish the write up.
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#21 BlackFox

BlackFox

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

The green has a few different things about it, for example my yellow advances the turret by air power instead of manually hitting that black part.

I've noticed the same thing. It seems to be just a change in the design while it was in production. I have two SM3k yellows and each rotate differently. Also, the one that rotates by air pressure seems to pump more air with each pump.
"Until we meet in the place where there is no darkness"
-George Orwell, 1984
-----------

Think that piece is beyond repair? Think again!

#22 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

With my SM3k Blue edition, I only pump it 1 and a half times.

Any more and it feels like the entire pump handle is going to explode (even after reinforcement). Sm3k pumps move a whole lot of air in one pump.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users