Photo

Y Does Cpvc Work Better Than Brass?

20 replies to this topic

#1 MAC

MAC

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 03:55 PM

I modded my Tech target gun with 4 inches of 9/16 inch brass and 1 inch of 17/32, and i got ok results. I took it apart then put a 6 inch piece of cpvc on it, and the gun shot much harder and faster. I thought brass was suppost to work better on this gun.

#2 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:42 PM

formula:

dart fit=75% of performance in barrel

FBR=different sizes, not standardized diameter, approximate diameter, etc.

slickness of material=25% of performance in barrel

those are approximate formulas, ask cxwq, hes the physics man, arent u?
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#3 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:04 PM

Sweet, physics. I assume that none of us has the facilities to make thier own tube so we are stuck with what we find for fit. The smoothness may be another story however. I'd assume you'd want a nice fit and the smoothest tube you could find to reduce friction. Has anyone experimented with a barrel treatment to increase the smoothness of said barrel? In particular a Teflon coating might do the trick. I think Teflon just came out with a bathroom cleaning product that is supposed to repel stains and give your bathroom the teflon nothing sticks to it quality. This comes in wipe form so it could be used in barrels quite easily. Does this have a ghosts chance in working or am I talking out of my ass again?

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:08 PM

Like Ares said, it all depends on your FBR.

Slicker is sometimes better, sometimes not so good. Depends on the gun.

People have used teflon based lube on their barrels before, tends to work quite well with air guns. Shouldn't be necessary on polished brass barrels but hey, what do I know?

As for the "I thought x was supposed to work better..." stuff, I wouldn't take anything for granted, especially on a relatively new gun that few people have modified.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:40 PM

cxwq, in response to that thing earlier, you ARE the phtsics dude, right?
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 04:49 PM

Heard of Tesla? Einstein? Hawking?

Morons.

#7 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:21 PM

Hey, Hawkings is just in a wheelchair and he talks through a computer. Besides, I hear he's very popular with the ladies but yeah besides that he is a moron.

#8 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 06:04 PM

Hey, Hawkings is just in a wheelchair and he talks through a computer. Besides, I hear he's very popular with the ladies but yeah besides that he is a moron.

Jesus god I want to shoot you.

Obviously you know jack shit about Stephen Hawking and his work on space-time theories. To call him a moron in a wheelchair who talks to a computer is insulting.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#9 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 06:05 PM

Hey, Hawkings is just in a wheelchair and he talks through a computer.  Besides, I hear he's very popular with the ladies but yeah besides that he is a moron.

Jesus god I want to shoot you.

Obviously you know jack shit about Stephen Hawking and his work on space-time theories. To call him a moron in a wheelchair who talks to a computer is insulting.

Doesn't he have like, the highest I.Q. in the US?
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#10 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 06:29 PM

OK I forgot the insert sarcasim here comment. The man is intelegent beyond anything that I can hope to ever achieve but if you're that famous then you have to take some ribbing.

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 06:53 PM

A friend of mine snuck me in to a guest lecture Hawking gave at Cal Tech two weeks ago. There were 1200 people attending and about 800 outside watching on big screens. Those who got seats were either Nobel laureats, knew someone, or camped out for two days to get tickets.

The amazing thing is that his sense of humor is as sharp as his intellect.

If you're curious, the lecture was about Godel and M-Theory vs. Unified Theory. He has officially recanted his belief that we're headed towards a Unified Theory. It was a Schrodinger-like argument that suggests we can't form a completely accurate model of the universe from within the universe.

Best quote from the Q&A session:

Cal Tech Student: "If there was a death match between you and Dr. Baltimore [President of Cal Tech], who would win?"

Hawking: "With black holes and Hawking Radiation on my side, how could I lose?"

#12 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 08:13 AM

A friend of mine snuck me in to a guest lecture Hawking gave at Cal Tech two weeks ago. There were 1200 people attending and about 800 outside watching on big screens. Those who got seats were either Nobel laureats, knew someone, or camped out for two days to get tickets.

The amazing thing is that his sense of humor is as sharp as his intellect.

If you're curious, the lecture was about Godel and M-Theory vs. Unified Theory. He has officially recanted his belief that we're headed towards a Unified Theory. It was a Schrodinger-like argument that suggests we can't form a completely accurate model of the universe from within the universe.

Best quote from the Q&A session:

Cal Tech Student: "If there was a death match between you and Dr. Baltimore [President of Cal Tech], who would win?"

Hawking: "With black holes and Hawking Radiation on my side, how could I lose?"

Stupid thing ate my post :alien:

Anyway... that sounds awesome, C. You lucked out :angry: Schrodinger-like arguments are always fun, but it couldn't have been REALLY schrodinger-like... unless he had a cat that was half dead and half alive, and Hawking had whores all over him. You know, Schrodinger really was a pimp :alien:
but we do sh*t and F---"

#13 Sylent Blade

Sylent Blade

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:17 PM

Oh my god. You people are funny. I honestly have no information about the dudes, except that they are geniuses (excuse spelling)... oh, and I know that Hawking is a wheelchair imprisoned, computer voice box speaking, crazy ass who knows everything :D ... If only I was that smart, then I'd be able to get the physics and make the ultimate Nerf gun... but even with that info, my stupid, and sometimes irrational behavoir would most likely hinder my success in such an endevour.
Sylent Blade

http://cam-m.cjb.net

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 04:42 PM

Doesn't he have like, the highest I.Q. in the US?

Well.. He's British.. SO PROBABLY! RAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA PWNED YOU ALL RAHAHAHAHHA.
Yeah I know, shut up.

Anyways.. What about using ski wax? I've got a liquid ski wax that comes in a shoe polish/deodorant type of bottle that I've used on my skis and a toboggan and it's worked exceptionally well. It's inferior to the wav you iron on, of course, but nerf darts aren't exactly hard ice so I doubt you'd need to apply it very much.
Drip a bunch in, wipe it around, then get a cotton cloth and run it through a few times to buff it..

Every single gun I have in unmodded in the barrel, but I should give it a shot regardless.
I like my women like I like my coffee...
Ground up and in the freezer.

#15 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:51 PM

M-Theory as in part of the superstring (supersymmetry, mulitple dimensional dualities) theory? or maybe it's a completely different m-theory i'm unaware of. anyways, i'm sad i didn't read this thread sooner, i must have overlooked the fact that we were now discussion universal physics in the mods section. anyways, i'm interested to hear what hawking had to say, i'll get a summery of it from somewhere.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#16 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 01:07 PM

Oh my god. You people are funny. I honestly have no information about the dudes, except that they are geniuses (excuse spelling)... oh, and I know that Hawking is a wheelchair imprisoned, computer voice box speaking, crazy ass who knows everything :P ... If only I was that smart, then I'd be able to get the physics and make the ultimate Nerf gun... but even with that info, my stupid, and sometimes irrational behavoir would most likely hinder my success in such an endevour.

That'd be nasty if Hawking knew EVERYTHING... then he'd know how many pubic hairs I have.. :wacko:

I never knew he was British... he doesn't have an accent.

Yeah.. it's kind of weird that we're discussing this .. why now?
but we do sh*t and F---"

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:00 PM

You mean his computer talks in an American voice?

Yeah, he's kind of embarrassed about that.

#18 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:14 PM

:wacko:
but we do sh*t and F---"

#19 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:15 PM

Is it even an American accent? I always just assumed it's like singing - it's just kind of how that sounds nomatter what your accent is.
I should listen to the "r"s next time I hear his speaking and see if it's really our perverted tongue and not compuspeak.
I like my women like I like my coffee...
Ground up and in the freezer.

#20 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:43 PM

Is it even an American accent? I always just assumed it's like singing - it's just kind of how that sounds nomatter what your accent is.
I should listen to the "r"s next time I hear his speaking and see if it's really our perverted tongue and not compuspeak.

Hem.. it would be leet if he could have variable voice modulations. One day, he wants to sound like a latino, so he switches it to latino mode. Then, he wants to sound like a jew, so he switches to jew mode. Then he wants to pretend he's Hans Blix and he switches to Swedish mode... tell him that if you see him.
but we do sh*t and F---"

#21 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:42 AM

Someone asked him what software he uses to generate the voice. Turns out it's actually hardware! Some company made him a custom firmware implementation of a text to speech algorithm. I guess that's why those ``MC Hawking'' mp3z don't sound quite right...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users