Wiki-what?

58 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

I've asked Orange via e-mail if it would be possible to use some of the photos from his collection as embeds for articles in the Wiki.
I could then rehost them for the Wiki.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 28 October 2007 - 08:21 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

I'm most of the way through editing all of the individual pages for guns in the blaster list (I'm up to R now). I've mostly been adding short descriptions and a formatted information section for each one that includes...

Released: Year

Original MSRP: Price in USD (if known)

Product Line: Name with link to list of other guns in line

Stock Ammunition: Name with redirect link to Ammunition article

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 October 2007 - 09:03 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#28 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

If you guys are thinking of putting a link to it on the website Wikipedia, I would look into that because I edited the www.wikipedia.com wiki and then as soon as I added a modifications section with a little about modding it was deleted, I think the next day.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#29 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Mmmmmmnhmmmmm

Wikipedia asswipes delete everything if they don't like how it sounds.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#30 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

Damn you Al Yankovic! He edit's Wikipedia!

CS, mind if I edit your Hidden Shot review? You wrote it's crap, but it's actually very good for it's size. I got mine shooting from High to Mid 50's, I measured. I haven't gotten ranges with Stefans yet, though.

#31 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

CS, mind if I edit your Hidden Shot review?

Sure, I had one myself and loved it for shooting the TV.
I personally would prefer not to see any ranges posted in the Wiki.

Most of my effort is going towards getting basic descriptions up, adding formatting, and adding product line groups.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 October 2007 - 03:59 PM.

#32 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

precisionnerrfer: If you guys are thinking of putting a link to it on the website Wikipedia, I would look into that because I edited the www.wikipedia.com wiki and then as soon as I added a modifications section with a little about modding it was deleted, I think the next day.

Hasbro didn't want 7-10 year olds asking mommy and daddy, "Can I lube for my blaster? I used WD-40 but now my blaster smells funny. I like to cock my blaster for fun some times, too!"

Plus, the 5 year old little brother that gets a pvc modded nf in his eye will get blinded and through a ridiculous law we will be forced sign a paper that we aren't using the Sudafed pvc for meth-amphetamine production blaster modifications.

Edited by Lynx, 29 October 2007 - 09:39 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#33 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

The Blaster List and Modification Directory are both finished. Man that was a lot of typing...

The individual blaster pages really need images added (specifically ones we have permission to use).

Edited by CaptainSlug, 01 November 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#34 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

Should each nerfer get his own page? For example, CS and Groove made articles about themselves. Could I, or is it a priviledge left for important nerfers or contributors?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#35 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:17 PM

Should each nerfer get his own page?

I wouldn't go filling in pages for other people.If you want to make one for yourself that's fine, but I would recommend limiting it to only hobby related information.

#36 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

CS, I'm sure I speak for the majority of the NIC when I say thank you for your dedication and hard work. This will hopefully benifit everyone, and vastly expand our community.

#37 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Now that the Wiki is back up I've started working on adding images to all of the individual blaster pages. I'm up to "E" after only 2 hours of work.
Most of them will just be small thumbnail images which I will host on my web space.

I've also added pages for the Recon CS-6 as well as both ERTL guns. And I updated the Homemades Directory a bit.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 January 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#38 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

I just sent you a PM concerning the pics. I have some much clearer pictures of many of the guns that you have posted so far if you want to use them instead.

Edited by badger, 11 January 2008 - 12:19 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#39 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

YHPM and such. I'll be working on this during my lunch breaks at work for the next two weeks.

#40 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

Very cool! I will burn the images to a CD for you. It will include:
  • All the color variations that I own of nearly every Nerf-Brand and Larami gun
  • All the Buzz Bee that I own
  • All the Lanard that I own
  • Every color variation of the Vortex line
  • Many promotional tie-in guns as well as other companies guns
  • Many of the new guns by Ertl and NxtGen Outdoors
I have been recompiling all of my pictures just for the Wiki, but Ihave never had the time to do it myself, so this is the least I can do. Plus, you can remove any pics that are from anyone else's site since some people want their permission before you can use their pics. Here is me giving you full access to amy pictures that I have of any Nerf-related merchandise. I'm even in the process of identifying what ammo styling goes with what gun and making a list of their differences. Believe it or not, the yellow bodied micros have alot of variances.

Some of the pics show the guns still in a package, this is only because they are NIB and I'm not ripping them out just to take their picture. Should be no big deal though.

Edited by badger, 11 January 2008 - 12:40 PM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#41 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

I don't know who's managing this wiki, but I do have one qualm with it.

As a rule I've been trying not to read through the nerf wiki too much because I know the perspectives of most of it's contributors are much different from my own. However, whoever penned the history of the NIC article really got it wrong. I'm not sure which "web-ring" they're referring to. I mean, it's possible that there was a banner we all put at the bottom of our home pages (I really don't recall it specifically) as that was the fad back then, but that had nothing to do with the organization of the NIC. And to completely omit the list-serve, which was the true genesis of the community, seems pretty wrong to me. I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape about it, but I thought maybe you should be aware of those inaccuracies.

#42 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

I think Spanky over at NHQ is the one to talk to about that, or you can edit it yourself.

I did just have a weird moment of Effeminate proportions.

'The elder gods saw the land and saw all that was Nerf. They came dow to the earth in human forms to rule all who would Nerf. Their names were cxwq, Julie, Groove, and VACC. They proclaimed to the masses, "Go forth and modify, so that you may defend yourselves from our wrath." And so they did. The wars were vicious. Once a year there was a great Reckoning to loosen their fighting spirit. Some of the Gods would have their own war along with their most trusted allies to Deal with the warring armies and prepare for their destruction. Then there were many smaller skirmishes to hone their skills, before the wourld would be ripped asunder by Armageddon on one side of the country and a fierce Apocalypse on the other.

Then they would get pizza and beer and make fun of Rambo and Evil.'

This is what happens when you stay up late watching fantasy films.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#43 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Badger has provided me with crap-load of pictures that will take me a few days to go through and resize. Then I can start putting them into the individual blaster articles.

Edit: Work in progress
http://www.captainslug.com/nerf/wiki/

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 January 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#44 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

All individual blaster pages now include at least one external image. I also added pages for the SuperMaxx 500, SuperMaxx 700, ERTL Pump Shotgun, and the ERTL Rapidfire Shotgun. I also added a subdirectory blaster list for promotional merchandising guns.

I'm currently working on adding all of the knock-offs and blasters from smaller manufacturers.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 January 2008 - 01:27 PM.

#45 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

I already created a page for the ERTL Rapid Fire Shotgun a while ago. :angry:
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#46 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Yes you did, I updated the description, modification list and added the manufacturer group. Thanks for fixing the ammunition type.
The Blaster list is roughly 95% done now.

Current Blaster list includes 168 blasters.

If anyone has some time and the information to do so most of the Promotional blasters need descriptions and data.

http://nerfhq.com/wi...tle=Promotional

Either edit them yourself of PM/E-mail me with any info you have.
I've done as much as I can with it. The blaster list has gone from 30 blaster pages with little information to 180 blaster pages with pictures and lots of info plus 24 more blaster pages that need a bit of attention.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 January 2008 - 10:54 AM.

#47 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

You scripted something to automate this process? If not, you must be the most diligent worker ever...

You'd probably be able to find a lot of the release dates you don't have on NerfCenter.com.

Edited by RAMBO, 13 January 2008 - 06:21 PM.

#48 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

I don't know who's managing this wiki, but I do have one qualm with it.

As a rule I've been trying not to read through the nerf wiki too much because I know the perspectives of most of it's contributors are much different from my own. However, whoever penned the history of the NIC article really got it wrong. I'm not sure which "web-ring" they're referring to. I mean, it's possible that there was a banner we all put at the bottom of our home pages (I really don't recall it specifically) as that was the fad back then, but that had nothing to do with the organization of the NIC. And to completely omit the list-serve, which was the true genesis of the community, seems pretty wrong to me. I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape about it, but I thought maybe you should be aware of those inaccuracies.

Cmdrmack was who originally wrote the NIC History section. I edited his information from NC/NO an onward. I did not edit any previous information because I wasn't around when it was going on, and I don't really remember enough from what others have told me. If you want to edit it so that its more accurate that'd be great. I'd do it myself, but I wouldn't get it much better than Cmdrmack did.

Crankymonky is the one who's managing it also. I don't know how active he is with adding/editing information, but Spanky set it up and let him talk the reigns.

Also, CaptainSlug is sweet.

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#49 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

I just posted a brief history so that others would start editing it, I made no claims to its accuracy, I was tired of there not being anything up there and figured if I threw down some information others would edit. My NIC History post was meant as a catalyst to get others who were more knowledgeable to correct my inaccuracies and add their own tidbits. I remember visiting a lot of those old sites, Everything from the Duct Tape Brigade to the Die Hard Nerf Warriors's Page to Stefan's page. I was kind of young back then so I didn't really pay attention to the interactions between the people behind the web sites.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#50 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

I've done a little updating- mostly gun information pages. Just when I need to write, you know.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users