I have an idea

25 replies to this topic

#1 Mike7822

Mike7822

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

Don't Flame me please! B)
Okay, there is a bolt action mod for the Rapid fire rifle,would a shotgun mod work?
Basically like the shotgun LS mod but for the rapid fire rifle.
It could be very easy. Just imagine the RFR as a LS and do the shotgun mod on it.

Edited by Mike7822, 15 October 2007 - 06:15 PM.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations
---------------------------------------
- If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
- If you need an officer in a hurry take a nap.
- When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.

#2 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

Crap. I knew someone would figure this out eventually (people probably have, just not posted it yet). I was going to try this out a couple of months ago, but my cousin broke my rfr before I could get to it.

Edit: I'm not quite sure what's not to get about my post. If you read the first post you'd get what I was talking about. There. Instead of "it" I put "my rfr". Is that better?

Edited by penguin807, 15 October 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#3 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Penguin re-write this in english please because I dont understand a word he said :) .

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Penguin re-write this in english please because I dont understand a word he said :) .

And if your going to bitch about people not typing correctly then look at you, Adressing him that saying "what he said". Good job.

But back on subject, I was thinking about doing this if I ever got one. If I actually worked out a tube mag then it would be cool.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 Mike7822

Mike7822

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

I took out the last part But a tube mag could work. I would do it but i broke my RFR and don't have the materials and really bad at modding.

Edited by Mike7822, 15 October 2007 - 06:23 PM.

#6 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

Oh nevermind you want to do a foregrip mod?.

Edited by h2player116, 15 October 2007 - 06:23 PM.

#7 Mike7822

Mike7822

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

No. You know how the Longshot went from bolt action to shotgun(?) action, well I was thinking a Lever action to a shotgun action. Maybe a tube mag instead of the clip, but that might be hard to do.

#8 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm so confused draw something in paint.

#9 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

I'm not quite sure we have the same definitions for shotgunning. To most of us, this means loading and then firing multiple darts at a time. Since the RFR uses shells, this is not possible (or at least without heavy modification). A tube magazine would be pointless, as it would require the design of a carrier for the shells. Let me be the first to tell you (based on my exploits in building a homemade shotgun, see the thread in the Homemades forum) that this is harder than it seems. Not worth the effort.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#10 Mike7822

Mike7822

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

sorry yes a forgrip mod

#11 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

See that makes' more sense I knew you were talking about a foregrip also that would require very heavy modding.

#12 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

If I am correct, the rapid fire rifle is lever action:

Posted Image

So you could cut off the lever until it is about 1 inch out of the gun, put a bolt through it, and do a foregrip mod on it.

To have the foregrip attached to the gun, the faux tube below the barrel would suit well for a bolt through that. I think that a resized captain slug foregrip kit could work wonders on this.

Edited by Lynx, 15 October 2007 - 07:11 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#13 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

No it wouldn't. Do the bolt-action mod and then attach a foregrip made of PVC to the gun. Do this by looping the PVC through a groove that you cut in the lower "barrel" (the empty tube below the actual "barrel"), and then connecting it to the handle of your bolt-action mod with a steel or Lexan rod. Simple, crude, but effective.

Edit: Lynx kinda beat me to it, but this is more along the lines of what you need to do for a foregrip to work.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 15 October 2007 - 07:12 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#14 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well if someone makes' this im buying one for sure :)

#15 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

I really doubt someones going to make a formal kit for this, given the rarity of RFRs, the relative ease of the mod, the lack of a need for specially-machined parts, and the low number of potential customers.

#16 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

Well I'm just saying if anyone's up to the challenge tell me how much they want for one shipped to canada.

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Just asking (no offense), but why wouldn't my idea work? I think using pvc instead of a c-s foregrip mod in my idea would work...

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

See that makes' more sense I knew you were talking about a foregrip also that would require very heavy modding.

SHA was replying to the above post, not your post, Lynx.

Note how the post times between you and SHA are only 2 minutes apart.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#19 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the save, frost. I was kind of confused as to who implied his idea would not work.

In the end, either concept is effective. The reality is that anything that gets the job done is effective, but that the simpler concepts tend to be more effective than others. The only flaw in Lynx's concept is that the lever-action of the stock RFR involves longitudinal motion as well as lateral motion. This means that, even though the part connecting the nub of the lever with the sliding grip would move horizontally, it will also have to move vertically to accommodate the pivoting nature of the old action.

#20 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

Since the RFR uses shells, this is not possible (or at least without heavy modification).

Wait...why would it need heavy modification? All you would have to do is load multiple short darts into each shell, or you could split a single dart into 4 quarters of one like this:

Posted Image
Note: I didn't come up with this idea.

If you're worried about the wide section of the shells (the back end, that is), I'm pretty sure the shells can be brassed, if not CPVCed or PETGed.

Or am I completely wrong about this?

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#21 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

I considered that, but I draw a fine line between true shotgunning and using "shotgun" or fragmentation loads/darts. To me, shotgunning is the use of multiple darts per firing of a gun. Shotgun loads/darts are the division of a single dart into multiple "dartlets." To load multiple darts into one shell would mean the use of 1" mini-darts, whcih would be more like confetti with the weak power of the RFR. However, the shotguning that this thread is concerned with is something completely different: the addition of a shotgun foregrip to a gun formerly using bolt or lever action.

#22 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

I thought of the vertical motion of the lever and thought that a bolt attached would only swing down one inch, not enough to interfere with anything in the idea. I might buy a rfr and see if I can no shell mod...no I wouldn't I'd buy a good gun instead like two nitefinders instead...or a maverick and a spring...

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#23 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

I thought of the vertical motion of the lever and thought that a bolt attached would only swing down one inch, not enough to interfere with anything in the idea. I might buy a rfr and see if I can no shell mod...no I wouldn't I'd buy a good gun instead like two nitefinders instead...or a maverick and a spring...

I'm not sure what SHA means by "lateral motion" (lateral, at least in anatomical terms, typically refers to motion away from the middle line that runs lengthwise, front to back) though I think he's getting at the fact that, basically the 'nub' of the lever still moves in an arc, requiring one to engineer something a little fancier to pull off Lynx's idea (try it, you'll see). More importantly, however, a one-inch nub for a lever (as in Lynx's idea) doesn't provide much "leverage" at all (it's like sawing off one end of a teeter-totter) - leverage is proportional to the distance between the point of force and the fulcrum). I suspect that it would be too short to work. I think the direction connection to the bolt is more feasible but, hey, its always better to actually try than to speculate (that goes for all of us; MOD FIRST, POST CONCEPTS SECOND!)

#24 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

If anyone hasn't noticed this, if you just attached a pump to the lever, you'd have to move the pump forward, than backwards, not the traditional backwards, than forwards motion, like on a real shotgun.
Nuckin' Futz

#25 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

If you have a rfr please try something like this so this speculation ends...The side view's left right motion is the lateral motion...The rod through the lever could be further down, but the leverage would work...The faux barrel would work as a nice track for the pump and umm...yeah...

AWESOME NITEFINDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users