Photo

A Suggestion.

Opinions needed.

29 replies to this topic

Poll: New topics. (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Nerf Haven needs seperate topics for Nerf Assassin and Humans Vs. Zombies?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Nerf has been growing over the years. It is no longer as it once was. What began as a bunch of children playing with these guns in small groups. To basic modifications and small organized wars. Then onto larger organized wars and greater modifications. Nerf haven has been there to cover it all. Within the last couple years new games have been approaching the NIC. Those new games have been Nerf Assassin and now exploding onto the scene has been the highly popular Humans Vs. Zombies.

What I am suggesting is that we have separate topic choices for these new Nerf genres.
It would look something like this:
Posted Image

Of course "Off topic" would be at the bottom of the list though.

Majority of people on this site focus on Nerf wars. Where are all the Assassins and HvZ players?
Could it be they are not on here because we don't have a specified section to discuss these things?
Is it possible that these people may end up going to a Nerf war or come up with some killer mods?
Lets make Nerfhaven the true place to go for everything Nerf related!

I don't know who would be in charge of adding these options the moderators or the high and mighty ambassadors.
I feel the change is strongly needed though.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 13 October 2007 - 09:42 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

I would have to say no to having them with their own forums. If anything, they should be a topic, whether pinned or not, in the Nerf Wars forum as they are different games that can be played. I don't think there is enough people out there that play those scenarios to warrant their own forums.

I would like to get the rules and regulations for those games, or at least a base-standardized set of instructions for playing them, so I can update the etiquette topic with new information.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

I would have to say no to having them with their own forums. If anything, they should be a topic,

I never said they should have their own forum.
Merely their own topic title.
There is enough to discuss when it comes to either of these games.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#4 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

I think that this would be a good idea. Not only would it organize topics more but it could help these topics grow and be used as much as just normal nerfing.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#5 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

I think this is a good idea because it would be a place to plan, strategize, and share experiences with the NIC. I would also love a mapper thing for the colleges and universities in participation with Humans vs. Zombies and Assassin neighborhoods and such. That would be sweet!
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#6 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

I would have to say no to having them with their own forums. If anything, they should be a topic,

I never said they should have their own forum.
Merely their own topic title.
There is enough to discuss when it comes to either of these games.

That is what you illustrated in the picture you provided.

Each section, including "Off-Topic" is a community forum. Inside them are the topics. The order of layout is like this (I'm not bashing you Forsaken, just laying it out for others who may not understand):

NerfHaven (Site) ---> Nerf Wars (Forum) ---> Fall DCNO (Topic)

I think we have the same idea, it may just be that our wording is different.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:32 AM

NerfHaven (Site) ---> Nerf Wars (Forum) ---> Fall DCNO (Topic)

That is correct. I am just so used to people saying that Nerfhaven is a forum and not a site.

Either way.
There is still too many things involved when it comes to Nerf Assassin and Humans Vs. Zombies to put in one topic. These games aren't that simple. They are very complex in their own unique way.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#8 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

I understand your point that there is a lot to these game types, but they are still forms of Nerf Wars as far as the spirit of the forum is concerned. When Cxwq and I laid out the headings we considered any gathering of nerfers with the intention of shooting each other with nerf guns to constitute a nerf war. That definition still seems appropriate to me.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm not sure why the information concerning these war types cannot be discussed within that heading. If you want to create a sticky with links to all the important threads on the subject, I see no problem with that. However, I've no intention of creating any more sections within the forums at this point in time. I'm not trying to shoot you down; I'm glad you're voicing this opinion, I just can't justify that addition at the moment. But feel free to further convince me.

#9 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

I understand your point that there is a lot to these game types, but they are still forms of Nerf Wars as far as the spirit of the forum is concerned. When Cxwq and I laid out the headings we considered any gathering of nerfers with the intention of shooting each other with nerf guns to constitute a nerf war. That definition still seems appropriate to me.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm not sure why the information concerning these war types cannot be discussed within that heading. If you want to create a sticky with links to all the important threads on the subject, I see no problem with that. However, I've no intention of creating any more sections within the forums at this point in time. I'm not trying to shoot you down; I'm glad you're voicing this opinion, I just can't justify that addition at the moment. But feel free to further convince me.

Just make two child boards in Nerf Wars. One is assassins, the other HvZ. So that way you can keep the original layout most likely like you intended, but have the two child topics under Nerf Wars. Both problems (keeping Nerfhaven the same, and having two new boards) are solved.

FA_24: I said yes, and was going to suggest two child boards any way. But I think its a cool idea. The problem I foresee is having people talk about it constantly. That the topics would only see a small trickle of people ounce in a while.

Edited by nerfsharpie6, 14 October 2007 - 09:40 AM.

We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

If I were to add a separate section for these two types, why shouldn't I also have a seperate section for Deathmatches? These are far more common and create a lot more discussion. Or what about CTF? Or indoor vs outdoor wars?

I understand the logistics of creating a sub forum perfectly. The argument, as far as I understood it, was not if we could create this subdivision, but if we needed to.

#11 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

I actually would not like sub forums. Ever been on a forum where every forum has millions of forums inside of it? It is just to big and confusing. That is why I like the Nerfhaven setup so much. I don't see why it can't be a sticky, because I don't think many people would frequent it if it were it's own forum.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#12 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Deathmatch and CTF are gametypes, in my opinion, not war scenarios. I realize there is a fine line between them, but a line nevertheless. As I don't participate in Zombies or Assassins, I really have no preference either way, but as Forsaken said, people that play Zombies or Assassins might not sign up because they think that we don't do that here.

#13 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

I say the nerf wars section should stay as is, but there should be another section called; "various wars" or, "Other war-games" or, "Diverse Nerf-play" or something along those lines.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#14 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

Maybe if Assassins and Humans Vs. Zombies were under the same forum?

"Diverse Nerf Play"? Is that where you allow the use of integrated guns?
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#15 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

I don't see why we need seperate forums for zombie and assassins. It's not like 50 percent of the topics in the nerf war forum are related to these two games. I have never seen someone post that they were having a zombie war before. I think that even if these forums were created they would not be active very often after the first few months.

"Some men fat, watch TV, yell. Chandler is alive"

Edited by Dark Shrimp, 14 October 2007 - 10:45 PM.

Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#16 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:12 PM

If the majority (or at least a noticeable portion) of the war threads pertained to HvZ and assassin games, then subcategories would be a viable course of action. However, they aren't (for now). Besides, if we did this, what's to draw the line? We would have to design subcategories in homemades for air-powered guns, motorized guns, springers, combustion cannons, etc. and the same with modifications. It seems to be too much work for too little gain. Wars are wars, although each type of war deserves to be properly recognized for what it is. Now, that means a thread dedicated to explaining what HvZ and assassins are all about, but not necessarily a forum or subcategory entirely for one gametype/game. I hope you see the reasoning to this.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#17 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

Guys, you're ignorning what I belive to be Forsaken's key point. There are a lot of people out there, non-board members that play HvZ and Assassins games. They might see the forum page and not realize that this is a good place for them to be. By having forums, or child forums to denote them, people may realize that they belong here...The only qualm I have with a pinned topic is that is not visible from the forum category page.

#18 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:49 AM

As far as I am concerned homemade air guns that use air or plunger will not matter because they are both still home mades. A Nerf War is in no way at all like Humans Vs. Zombies nor is it like Assassin. Maybe you need to play them to realize this. I am going to be 100% honest here. I have held back from posting a ton of shit on Nerf Assassin because I refuse to post it under Nerf war. It's too confusing that way.

Make a separate forum for this and I can assure you I will be contributing a lot of things involved in the game.
Look at what I have contributed to the Modification forum and keep in mind modifications come second next to Assassin for me.

- How to set up a game
- Rules of the different games.
- Killing techniques with instructional videos.
- Write ups on how to hunt
- Videos of hunting (More first person action)
- Write ups on how to defend.
- How to hide
- Who can you trust and who can you bribe.
- Interesting tales of Hits or close calls.
- Concealable guns, and how how to conceal big guns in public places.
- How to deal with disputes "Liars and dishonest folk"
- Cash being involved and how to divide it?
- How to prove you hit someone even if they are a very dishonest person.
- How to deal with police.
- How to deal with concerned neighbors.
- How do I know Assassin is right for where I live?
- How to hand out awards.
and so on and so on... That is all I can think of right now at 3:42 am

As far as Humans Vs Zombies goes. ( I don't know too much but I am just kind of winging it here)

-How to set up a game
-The rules of the game
-Best zombie kills
-Best human kills
-Advertising local HvZ games.
- Human tactics
- Zombie swarming tactics.
- Finding the perfect zombie hiding place to ambush a human.

Bottom line is these two games are far from Nerf wars.

If you guys are too lazy to make two separate forums then make one forum called.

Title: Role Playing Nerf.
Subtitle: Assassins & Humans vs. Zombies.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 15 October 2007 - 02:49 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#19 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

A title like that could also theoretically include Nerf based LARPs.

I think a combined section would be the way to go.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#20 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

I think a combined section would be the way to go.

I agree fully, I think any large Nerf events that last longer than a day and have rules that don't apply to regular Nerf-offs should have their own section. Besides, think of what Angel will contribute, if only there was a rank of super-contributor...
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#21 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Personally, I think a branched forum would be appropriate. 'Alternate Reality Games' can have a 'ZvH' and an 'Assassin' sub-forum for each. I would not mind helping to make a few stickies for the ZvH forum, though every game is played a bit differently, but after playing a few times, I know what works and what doesn't(melee weapons not getting approval for length/safety, 30 second stun time from melee, etc are all baaaddddd.)
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#22 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Another branch for this forum could be the "current events" forum, where people can post when and where Nerf Assassin, LARPS, or HvZ games might go on in the future.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#23 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

But that's basically just another Wars forum. I think the idea presented here is to have one forum for regular wars and another for simulations and RPGs, which is not bad. However, do we need it? That's up to the founders. FA brought up some good points, but is that really what we're (mostly) about?
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#24 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

But that's basically just another Wars forum. I think the idea presented here is to have one forum for regular wars and another for simulations and RPGs, which is not bad. However, do we need it? That's up to the founders. FA brought up some good points, but is that really what we're (mostly) about?

Sure, we mod, but WHY do we mod? To play these games, really. I truely think it IS what we are mostly about.
Updated 6/2/08
We are the proud members of University of Maryland Nerf Activity Society, summer plans are:
Weekly games and summer Dart o' War.
WE LOVE OUTSIDE PLAYERS.

visit www.umdnerf.com for rules and forums or PM me for any questions. We always welcome outside players.

#25 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

Instead of wanting a new forum without showing any proof that it will be used just start posting your stuff in the forums that are already available. I'm sure that if there starts to be a lot of "nerf role playing" based threads popping up the haven staff will see the need for a new forum.

Or why don't you just make a new site dedicated for nerf larps since it is so different than traditional wars?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users