My Mech 20 Mod

with a write-up

7 replies to this topic

#1 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

I started working on this mod over the summer in an attempt to make a clip fed mech 20. I failed in a homemade clip and was seriously disheartened and gave up for a little while. Then inspiration hit me by staring at my longshot for a few minutes. I already had a design in my head from when I wanted the homemade clip, and began working diligently on my idea.
The goal was to use a homemade clip, but then converted my idea to LS clips. The mod in question will increase reload speed, a small range increase (maybe 1 foot), and to use LS clips. Now here is the write up.

Materials:
Mech Tommy 20
Philips head screw driver
Knife
Dremmel with cut off wheel, sanding tip, and wood carving tip (to get in those hard to reach places)
Some e-tape
Longshot clips
Washable Marker (sharpie can be used)

Step 1:
You must remove all the screws, and orange nose cone, and stock with the black piece behind the battery pack.
Posted Image
It should look like this when you have it all out.

Step 2:
Open the gun, you may need a knife in case the case is glued shut. And take out the drum part. Once you have it out cut the orange piece that made it turn you won't need it any longer. Once you cut the orange piece there is no going back.
Posted Image
This is what your gun will look like when you get this far.

Step 3:
You find little tabs just above where the dart goes in to the wheels. You'll need to cut off those tabs to make room for the clip. Sorry I don't have any pics for this.

Step 4:
Now mark your drum cover. This is where you will cut the drum.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Follow these pics to mark your gun. Be sure to get the part where the drum meets the main body, it should look like a diagonal line. After you have it marked cut the drum off.

Step 5:
Put the gun together and put a few pieces of masking tape around it to hold it together. Now take you marker and the LS clip and trace the bottom of the clip.
Posted Image
It should look similar to this. Now go to proceed to step 6.

Step 6:
OK you have the top marked for cutting right? Now take your dremmel and cut carefully around the out line. Ounce that is done take your sanding wheel and start sanding down the rough edges. Get the slope near the wheels and near the gray dart pusher found in step 2. Do this to both sides. Put the gun back together and put you clip in. Be sure to note where the clip sits and what to sand. It should sit right where the wires go to the motor. Take the hot glue off the three prongs and move the wires up. Sand down the three prongs and e-tape the wires to the side. This will keep it out of the way. If you clip still doesn't fit you need to do some custom cutting to the shell.
Posted Image
It should look like this before you do the custom sanding. I don't have a pic for the custom sanding because it may differ from person to person.

Final Step:
Put the gun together again and slide the clip in the hole. Screw the gun together and note if it slips, you may need to slide almost flush to the dart pusher to make it sit right.
Posted Image
It should look like this when your done. Be sure the red dart on the clip is facing down and forwards towards the barrel. It should sit on this little piece of plastic where a screw post was.

Thats it your done. My ranges are typical 25-30 feet. Not much increase but you can warp the wheels in craft foam if you wish for a tighter hole the dart can slide into.
Any questions, comments, flames? If the pics don't work I can link them to my photobucket account.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

Why would you want to give this gun about 1/4 its original dart capacity? The 20-round drum was one of the few original strengths. This may actually increase reload time in general, as you must load in a fresh magazine every six shots. It takes away LS mags that could be used in, well, an LS (or ABP5k).
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

I don't really since the point of this because it just reduces the amount of darts the gun can fire.
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#4 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Why would you want to give this gun about 1/4 its original dart capacity? The 20-round drum was one of the few original strengths. This may actually increase reload time in general, as you must load in a fresh magazine every six shots. It takes away LS mags that could be used in, well, an LS (or ABP5k).

What if the person's LS is broke, and has extra clips laying around. Its something to mess around with, if you band the wheels or place craft foam around it you can also increase range. There are barely any mods for this gun out here so I thought I make a small contribution and hopefully minimize the Mech 20 threads. Like I said It would have been a homemade clip, but I couldn't make one. Who ever can make Homemade clips could do this but with there clip. It depends on what the person wants to do. Its a customizable mod, to suit the persons needs at the time he/she does it.

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

Right. I didn't consider that. However, to make your own magazine or clip, I have a suggestion. Go to a Home Depot or Lowe's and look for the Lexan sheeting. Get something small, about 1 sq. ft. if you can. Cut it with a hacksaw, Dremel, or anything that you trust to make a straight line, following these directions: If your material is not a perfect square, find the longest side. Mark 2.5" along the shorter side from this edge on both the top and bottom. Cut a line intersecting those points and you should have a rectangular peice of Lexan. Rinse and repeat. Then, do it twice more, but these times measure only 1" away from the long edge(s) for your cuts. Also, cut about .75" off of one of the short sides so that you now have a thinner, shorter version of your first two sheets. Take one of the offcuts for later. Put the four large pieces together in an open-ended rectangular prism with hot glue or epoxy. Make sure one end has all flush sides, and that the other end has a U-shaped gouge in it. Glue on the offcut strip so that it covers the top of this gouge and forms a closed-off-looking hole. This will fit 2"x.5" stefans, the most common micro stefan size. Glue this vertically in place of your LS magazine, with the end made in the last step towards the internals of the gun. Drop your darts in the top, start shooting, and save your LS mag. This ought to work, based on my understanding of the gun. However, I would not add any springs, as the grav-feed should be loading fine. Hope that helps, and is clear enough. If not, I can make a quick MS Paint diagram.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

Cool, thanks for that little write up. But my home depot doesn't have a constant supply of lexan. I think I could get my dad to get some since he works on cars replacing glass. But I ran into a little problem. The dart pusher isn't long enough to reach my darts. You have to cut a small piece of bic pen about an inch long and hot glue it to the end. Let it dry and then try it out. But the one dart that did fire went out pretty strong. I think I may have to do an official range test after school tomorrow. And if you cut your hole to long you may have a problem with the mag slipping to far down.
EDIT: The dart pusher is very picky. If the dart comes to close to it, it wont drop down to meet the head. If its to short, and you try the bic pen add-on method, it won't hit the wheels because its to short. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I think this must be a homemade clip design gun.

Edited by nerfsharpie6, 10 October 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#7 nerfnerd88

nerfnerd88

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Nice Job! I dont know if your hooked on using and switching out a clip. I did almost the same thing but with a gravity feed clip, so it can hold about 50 shots. But great job.

#8 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks. Also if you cut your hole to large, you can out strips from the drum and make two small clip holders to keep it from falling. And use small stefans, if it hits the dart pusher then the dart under it will never drop to be pushed to the wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users