Photography On Nerf Guns (lighting) Question

Should this be in General Nerf?

7 replies to this topic

#1 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:52 AM

Well I am trying to make some contributions to the NIC. I have a nice SLR camera, I am into photography of nature and landscapes. However, inside I cannot get my lighting to be good without a big shadow. I take my pictures with a ceiling light above me, and the nerf gun obviously under the ceiling light. I always get a big ass shadow. Now I can use the flash, but then sometimes it is off and the center of the photo is overexposed (too bright). If I move back, then the lighting of the gun is even, but everything to the sides is blacked out.
I am having most luck with taking pictures with natural light, except whenever it's dark (usually when I am modding) of course there is no natural light coming through the windows. So any help would be nice. Thanks in advanced.

#2 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

You've got to flood the subject with light to eliminate the shadows, which means using a bright spotlight or two. The other option is to make a diffuser and use a light source to engulf the subject that way. Look at this website for info on soft light. When shooting products (which I do at work) it defintely helps.

I also convinced my company to buy one of these, but that's probably a little beyond your needs and budget.
I hate you.

#3 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

It's a bit extreme but experiment with your own box setup.
It's really not that hard, I've used similar setups for assignments.

Simpler
One In Use
Hardcore Shadowless

It just depends if you're willing to cut up a box or two, grab some sheets and possibly invest in some blue bulbs or just do some post work in photoshop/gimp/paintshop etc.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

Hardcore Shadowless

I think I know what my next project is going to be.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

The subject may be different (LEGO bricks v. Nerf guns) but this is one of the best photography threads around for this kind of subject matter:

Classic Space Photo Tips

#6 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

You said that you do outdoor photography? Well why don't you just photo your guns outside? I've started to do this, and it's amazing what a difference the natural lighting has on the overall picture than with indoor lighting.
All you need is a partially sunny day at the least.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#7 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

I think the box lighting idea would work best. And you wouldn't even need the big flood lights. You could use 60 watt bulbs. Thats what professional photographers do, whether they're photographing food, jewelry, clothes, or people.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#8 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for all your help. Spectre666, I am too lazy to go outside :D .

EDIT: Made one, just a cardboard box thing with two Ikea lights shining onto the object. Hopefully, you should see some stuff by me in the future.

Edited by six-five-two, 09 October 2007 - 10:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users