Buzz Bee Tommy Gun

I think its buzz bee... wanna mod it?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

I was in Wal-Mart today and I saw a yellow tommy gun made from Buzz Bee (at least I think so) and it has a huge 20 round clip hanging out of the bottom. It appears to be all electric motors that power it. The dart looks like it hits two spinning wheels that shoot it out the gun. I haven't boughten it yet, but i think I might. I think I'm going to open it up and either replace the motors with stronger faster ones, or I'm going to swap out the capacitors on the boards and put in a 9.6 volt RC car battery so it can spin the little motors multiple times faster.

Before I do this, does anyone have any mods for this thing or should I be the first to do a right up when I'm done?

*Edit: http://www.buzzbeeto...2006/04750.html *

Edited by Banshee, 08 October 2007 - 07:08 PM.

Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

It's been done, but I don't know if there is a write-up for it. The performance probably won't get that much of a boost, but please post it anyways. We always need more content.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have it and these are the following things I've done to it:
cut darts off a centimetre so they dont jam
pry off orange piece on top for less jamming
increase battery power up to 9v battery.

#4 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

if you want it for indoor wars it makes tons of noise. The gun is ok but the noise level is realy bad. I used to have one, but if you forget it out in the garage or outside after a war your screwed. Other than that its a pretty good gun.

~~dart out~~

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#5 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

I have it and these are the following things I've done to it:
cut darts off a centimetre so they dont jam
pry off orange piece on top for less jamming
increase battery power up to 9v battery.

What was the gun like after these mods?

#6 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Sounds good to me, but you might try dimming the sound from the motor a bit... I don't know how but then again it is 8:30, and I cant think right...
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#7 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

To suppress the gun, take the largest thickness FBR you can get (Frost King in 5/8"+ is good) and fold it into all of the dead space in both halves of the shell. Fill as much as possible, especially around the motors where possible. You may even want to surround the engagement wheels with a thin layer of craft foam to increase contact with the dart.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#8 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

It shot farther and didnt jam ^_^

#9 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

To decrease on noise is there any sliding parts that could be lubricated or better lubricated?

#10 lordhenry4000

lordhenry4000

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

I believe it's mostly the motor that causes all the noise, if this is the gun I think it is.
"What are you doing with those trebuchets?"
"...Exploring?"

#11 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

To decrease on noise is there any sliding parts that could be lubricated or better lubricated?

hmm ill have to think on that.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#12 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

To suppress the gun, take the largest thickness FBR you can get (Frost King in 5/8"+ is good) and fold it into all of the dead space in both halves of the shell. Fill as much as possible, especially around the motors where possible. You may even want to surround the engagement wheels with a thin layer of craft foam to increase contact with the dart.

But there is a possibility the motors could overheat. My solution: don't buy the Tommy Gun. Buy something like a Rapid Fire 20 or a Magstrike, and hook up an auto pumping thing to it.

#13 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:12 PM

Carrtoon did some light modifications to one, he got 40' flat from it.
Link.

#14 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

I got 40' with mine, stock.

#15 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

I was getting 55 ish with mine.

Essentially, I gripped the gears, re did the electrical wiring to allow for a higher source.

Also, I encompassed the dart holders to allow for the darts not to slip out on their own.
~AJAQ~

#16 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Nope. It's the motors and their spinning wheels that causes the noise and there for suppressing the shell wont work. If you want to silence the gun you need to balance the rotating pieces.

Motors overheating is the biggest problem except for lack of accuracy. The best way to fix that would be cutting the shell open so that the motors would be exposed. There are many other more advanced ways to cool motors

Trust me on this one I have been working with motor driven foam launching devices longer then I've known to speech.
Pm me if you have more questions about this kind of guns.
QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#17 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

I wonder if you could put foam backer rod as an insolent...

#18 lordhenry4000

lordhenry4000

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

I'm sure surrounding the motor with some fbr would help the noise somewhat, albeit at the (probably very low) risk of the motor overheating. Try it!
"What are you doing with those trebuchets?"
"...Exploring?"

#19 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

I happen to own two Mech Tommy 20's and I have to give some advice, if you want a reliable assault rifle, this isn't the gun you want. If you want a gun that provides good cover for your guys to move in this is the gun you want. I think modifying motorized guns is pretty much pointless unless you have good experience with electronics and soldering. I say you should save yourself the trouble and keep this gun stock, or not buy it at all.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#20 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, the gun would be my brothers anyways, he's not a big nerfer, but i like my rapid fire 20 and he wants a different one. he's in college to be an electrical engineer so he's really good with wiring and i'm sure he could have this thing breaking windows in an hour.

#21 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Of course that's not possible. Motorized guns can't break windows without posing danger to the operator or destroying the dart. Either way, it is the motor that causes the noise as everyone has stated. I suggested inulating around the motors, but anders brings up an excellent point in needing to balance the wheels. If you can, get the motors and wheels running out of the shell and see if they are shaking (most likely) and by how much. If you can change the way that they are mounted so that they are more centered, then you will both reduce a portion of the noise. Wrap the motor in craft foam if you can and cut cooling slits to reduce noise a bit more. There's nothing that will make this completely or even near completely quiet, but get as close as you can.

#22 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

Of course that's not possible. Motorized guns can't break windows without posing danger to the operator or destroying the dart. Either way, it is the motor that causes the noise as everyone has stated. I suggested inulating around the motors, but anders brings up an excellent point in needing to balance the wheels. If you can, get the motors and wheels running out of the shell and see if they are shaking (most likely) and by how much. If you can change the way that they are mounted so that they are more centered, then you will both reduce a portion of the noise. Wrap the motor in craft foam if you can and cut cooling slits to reduce noise a bit more. There's nothing that will make this completely or even near completely quiet, but get as close as you can.

No duh, it couldn't break a window. There aren't very many guns, if any at all, that could break a window. It was an exaggeration used to show how my brother could get the most power out of the gun as possible. Some people take things too literally. I'm not an idiot, I don't make outrageous, unbelievable claims around a bunch of obviously smart people... Relax.

In other news, Insulation the gun probably wouldn't help with the noise and I doubt that you would run the thing often enough to overheat the motor. They can take quite a bit of heat, I know, I work with them a lot. So I don't think insulating the motor is a problem. I do like the balancing the motor idea. It sounds a little tough to get perfect, but I'll get it.

And does anyone know if Ace Hardware sells backer rod? Because I can't ever find it in there. I've been to The Home Depot, and they got nothing either. And neither does Harbor Freight.

#23 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

They'll have it in Home Depot, but you don't ask for Foam Backer Rod... If you do they'll look at you all confused.
You ask for Caulk Savers by Frost King, and Ace's should have it too, (their own Ace brand) but don't be surprised if they don't have 1/2"... usually it's only 3/8" or 5/8".

PS, Why try to insulate the noise, when it's the noise that puts the fear into the enemy? Vroom-Vroom!!

Edited by b00m13, 10 October 2007 - 08:59 AM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#24 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

They'll have it in Home Depot, but you don't ask for Foam Backer Rod... If you do they'll look at you all confused.
You ask for Caulk Savers by Frost King, and Ace's should have it too, (their own Ace brand) but don't be surprised if they don't have 1/2"... usually it's only 3/8" or 5/8".

PS, Why try to insulate the noise, when it's the noise that puts the fear into the enemy? Vroom-Vroom!!

Yes, they will be afraid, and stay away. This might be due to the fact that the mech 20 sounds like it could blow any minute.

I haven't had any issues with it overheating.

I don't think insulating it will give you much noise reduction, given that the motor is open air exposed.

All you would be stopping is the reverberation.
~AJAQ~

#25 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, I'll Keep that it mind next time I go to either place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users