Competion

If the admins allow it.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Recruit

Recruit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

After reading this topic, I realized that very few of us are doing much to contribute to this forum. As many, may have seen the content in new ideas has gone down a great bit. Then pow I had an idea, A competition for the best modification and one for the best homemade.

Qui'lan Fett is right august is to far away
Deadline: January 1

First Place: The right to be able to strut around and crow about how you won
Second Place: The right to be able to strut around and crow about how you nearly won
Third Place: The right to be able to strut around and crow about how you got beaten by two others

And of course if anyone else wants to donate a prize be my guest.

Praise/flames?

Edited by Recruit, 09 October 2007 - 06:36 AM.

Falcon about himself.
... Ask Bags...he'll tell you without hesitation that I'm an idiot, but I certainly think about it before I do something stupid.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."

-Piney-

#2 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

I think that this is a good idea. I would definately compete in this and probably lose miserably but I love competition. I already have a few ideas. :angry:

#3 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Do you mean august of next year?
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#4 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

I assume so, it's October now. Can you submit something that's been done in the past? If so, I think Boltsniper and Forsaken_angel24 have already won. Who will be judging the contest?

#5 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

We could have a vote on it. We could narrow the selection down to 20 or so, and then just have a giant poll in which people can vote for their favorite mods. Anyway, I personally think this is a GREAT idea. I'd be glad to be a part of the planning committee, if there will be one. I have a few good ideas myself... The only problem is we could be getting hundreds of mods in that time period, considering the size of the NIC. Just my two cents.

#6 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

I say now until Jan. 1, 2008.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#7 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

Yup I like it. I got a few coming up anyway soooo....
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#8 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

Now until remembrance day. Fast and best homemade competition, except Boltsniper, CaptainSlug and finally Carbon will probably automatically win.

However, you should be making cool homemades without a competition for motivation.

Edited by six-five-two, 09 October 2007 - 12:02 AM.

#9 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

What? This is totally unnecessary. People like Slug, Angel, Carbon, Bolt, etc. get to strut around because they actually produce content for the sake of producing content(and because they enjoy it). You shouldn't need some bullshit contest to motivate you.

#10 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

I disagree. It's kinda like a a tax refund on charities. It shouldn't be necessary on principle, but it's an excellent motivator, and it will have results. As groove would say,

Nerf on or Fuck off!
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

This thread is hilarious.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#12 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:27 PM

I think this is code for Angel is already working on this.

As seen in the Preview thread.

I knew this was coming after he made this remark over at nerfhq in the "Pump shotgun relative?" thread.

Blasphemy!

He made this same comment in the rapid fire 20 X4 thread.

This thread is hilarious. :D

And we all know what unholy creation came out of that.

Edited by Qui'lan Fett, 08 October 2007 - 11:28 PM.

SNAP Shotgun

#13 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

Nerf on or Fuck off!

Mod because you enjoy it, not because there's a pointless contest for it. At the very least set a prize other than bragging rights. We have enough hot shots as it is. If someone wants to post a mod, let them do it on their own sweet time and with natural motivation. A contest will also decrease the amount of fresh modding after its run the way sex drains you of dopamine. Basically, people are a product of their choices. If they want to spice up activity, they will take their own initiative. You cannot artificially keep content coming in for very long. Believe me, I've been down this road before from the other side of the fence. You can only do so much to generate activity - forums have natural flow that cannot be altered to any significant degree. You cannot just eliminate the slower periods of time. They are going to happen whether you have one huge contest or a million. I'm not saying that having a modding contest is a bad idea, but I am saying that the purpose should be different. These are observations, not opinions. I tend to avoid judging things based on opinions because observations tell it as it is and not how you think it should be.

Many of you have absolutely no idea what a slump in contributions is. Spend a couple years on small forums that go long stretches with nothing at all. NH is buzzing with fresh contributions in comparison. Anyone who has a long and storied experience with multiple online forums can see that we're doing just fine right now. Others need more time. 1 year on 1 forum is not nearly enough for you to judge what is good activity and what is bad. 2 years may not even be enough. This is also an observation rather than an opinion.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#14 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:16 AM

Wow, did you actually read the entire topic Recruit? It doesn't seem so when I read this topic.

Before I begin, this rant isn't aimed at FA_24, RAMBO, DX or six-five-two as they have been around long enough.

I have been noticing alot of the newer users trying to rally by proposing some pretty stupid fuckin' ideas. This counts as one for certain. If you want to earn the right to strut around and crow about how you won this pathetic contest, as you put it, why don't you instead just post a few mods, comtribute to NH and the NIC, and, in time, you may gain the respect and notoriety that Forsaken, Baghead, Captain Slug, and many others have earned! Forget the damned contest! Instead of wasting your time posting these useless topics, you could have been working on a new and revolutionary mod and sharing it with the community, but instead you had to post this and irritate me enough to force me to lose sleep again to reply to this load of shit.

I'll admit that I haven't posted any mods as of yet. I work full-time and have a very busy life, but I do modify as well. Someday I will sit down and finally post up my simple TTG mod, PC mod (which there isn't one in the directory as of yet), and a few other ideas I have floating around in my head, to include some ideas for some unique types of ammunition which I need to build prototypes for first before I post. However, my life comes first. What are your excuses?

I would just like for all of the new users to stop posting useless topics, stop spending half of your time on NH in Off-Topic (half of the posts for many of the newer users is from OT) and start comtributing. Forsaken, Bags, Carbon and Slug didn't post topics like this. They posted mods and homemades. They revolutionized some things for the NIC that are still being used today. I would even put them in the same elite circle as Stefan, the creator of the homemade dart that nearly everyone in the NIC knows how to make. They will be remembered. The winner of your asinine contest will also be remembered though.

He posted one mod for recognition. Let me pat you on the back and watch you fade into the distance as it will probably be your only offering to the NIC.

The people I mentioned before don't ask to be recognized, but they are the topic of many conversations and their mods and homemades are used for comparison and as a sort of benchmark when it comes to new submissions. They didn't ask for this notoriety, but they earned it. When I talk to someone that I know that is interested in Nerfing, I describe Bob II, Eyes of Fire and Sicklefin. Hell, I am even buying Sicklefin as it is one of the guns that inspired me to stop being a pure collector and to start modifying.

I am asking that all of you new users just stop posting this inane bullshit and start contributing. If you want to be known, you need to show us what you can do.

EDIT: By the way, you spelled "Competition" wrong in the title of this topic. Now I know why my faith in humanity is dwindling everyday more and more.

Edited by badger, 09 October 2007 - 06:03 AM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#15 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

In high school, I took Advanced Placement Economics.

The instructor also taught regular Economics--where they made cute little projects like posters and such. During my year, they made posters about the four basic market models.

One poster spelled out "Perfect Competion" in large, bold letters.

Every day, we would laugh at that poor bastard that spelled competition wrong. If you actually enunciate "competion", it sounds quite funny.

That is about all the intellectual stimuli my brain recieved from reading this thread.

You have the right intention to motivate content contributions, though. Think as though there is already a competition going on. It's a long-term competition that involves your general reputation in the NIC. Mod and create and contribute accordingly, and you'll find yourself rewarded.

Edited by frost vectron, 09 October 2007 - 12:26 AM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#16 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:44 AM

Shit, better contribute something.

#17 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:10 AM

Instead of wasting your time posting these useless topics, you could have been working on a new and revolutionary mod and sharing it with the community

I love badger.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 09 October 2007 - 01:10 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#18 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

I disagree. It's kinda like a a tax refund on charities. It shouldn't be necessary on principle, but it's an excellent motivator, and it will have results. As groove would say,

Nerf on or Fuck off!

Okay, first off:

You're using the signature phrase in the wrong context, and you slapped my name on it. That's a double-whammy.

Shut the fuck up.

Second off:

As several have stated before, you should contribute for the sake of contributing, because you enjoy it - not for some bullshit prize you get at the end as a motivational tool. P.S. ~ Competition is spelled with two "T's" in it. What is this, amateur hour?

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#19 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Fett - Of course Forsaken is working on something. He's always working on something and doesn't need some bullshit prize to motivate him.

Funny that you should say that your faith in humanity is dwindling badger - that happens to be my Facebook status, right now.

#20 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

Fett - Of course Forsaken is working on something. He's always working on something and doesn't need some bullshit prize to motivate him.

Funny that you should say that your faith in humanity is dwindling badger - that happens to be my Facebook status, right now.

I meant a contest.
SNAP Shotgun

#21 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

Alright look. Sorry about the out of context thing. I'm not trying to be a jackass. I'm not even trying to say that the competition is necessary as a means of motivation. But it would be fun. I've been collecting materials for a long time for a new project, and I'll submit it whether or not there's a contest.

As far as it being pointless - that people should mod for the sake of modding - of course that's true. To a point. People mod for different things. Some for wars, some for assassin, others for artistic reasons. I'm not even saying there should necessarily be a contest, per se. I just think people should make it a goal do do some modifications. If a contest is what it takes, what's the problem with that? If somebody who normally wouldn't be motivated to do anything comes up with something awesome because the idea of a contest sparked their imagination, does that make the modification any less good? I feel that the resentment directed at this idea is misplaced.

Edited by zaphodB, 09 October 2007 - 06:30 PM.

Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#22 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'm going to have to agree with zaphod. All right, yes, we shouldn't need a competition to get people motivated, but how about just for the fun of it? That's the reason I'm still into nerf and very much why I modify guns; because I have a fun time with it. I don't need or even want recognition on a forum; I have my real life for that. I just think it would be cool having the knowledge that your going to be up against some of the best modders and builders out there. Thats what a competition is for, isnt it?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users