Fracture By Lucasarts

New game with terrain deformation

10 replies to this topic

#1 Chanclas

Chanclas

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:45 AM

The idea is nice but they overdid it. They mentioned physics and I laughed because I'm sure the ground doesn't change that much from a grenade. And about 3 minutes into the video the old guy is using a longshot to show the designers some military strategies. Here is the video.
QUOTE(Groove @ Oct 30 2008, 08:58 AM) View Post
I can say Rambo is easily one of the coolest guys I've ever met.
I'm sorry, but you just lost any and all respect I had for you.
-Groove

Tits > Video Games

#2 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:01 AM

Interesting stuff. Sure, they used the term physics, but think about it - it's physics in the game world - doesn't have to be real world.

I'm curious to find out more about this - it either seems like it's going to be incredible, or it's going to suck from some functionality POV. For instance, how many of those 'grenades'(not sure what they were) do you get? Is there an extravagant key combination to make sure the terrain gets raised or lowered? In any event, it will surely add an interesting dynamic once perfected.

Also wondering: With such a far off release date, can companies with more FPS experience get ahead of the ball and get a release out Summer/Fall '08? Activision, Bungie?

Edited by RAMBO, 03 October 2007 - 02:05 AM.

#3 Chanclas

Chanclas

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:32 AM

I think there are more than one type of grenade. One raises the ground, one drops it, the other makes the pillars. Ever play Red Faction? That game had terrain destruction but not deformation. I prefer Red Faction. You could "dig" tunnels using the rocket launcher. And I don't think Bungie would make another game so soon after Halo 3. Especially using a "revolutionary" (I don't think it is so much) and relatively new concept. I heard a rumor that Bungie wanted to leave Microsoft, anybody know anything about that?
QUOTE(Groove @ Oct 30 2008, 08:58 AM) View Post
I can say Rambo is easily one of the coolest guys I've ever met.
I'm sorry, but you just lost any and all respect I had for you.
-Groove

Tits > Video Games

#4 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

I watched it last night and saw a longshot and a firefly.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#5 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

It should be fun. It is a fairly revolutionary idea. It may be fun like RAMBO said. But I saw the demo over the summer on G4, and thought it would be awesome. I wonder if they had to build the game engine from scratch like the people doing Far Cry 2 (the real sequel). Also those people must do inter-office warfare. I saw Maverics, fir flys, scouts and a few other guns on their desks.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#6 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

I bet they do inter-office warfare ,I bet they do it to simulate the game and stuff. I wonder....if one of those gamers is a member on this site and those fir flys and scouts are ar and post moded. Anyways i hope see that game soon so i can play it :w00t:

Edited by dart, 03 October 2007 - 11:54 PM.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#7 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Pretty soon computer games are going to require a physics processing card to unleash their full potential.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143055

It's pretty unreal how in the last 20 years computers have come how far they have.

#8 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Pretty sweet! I Just wonder how it will be from a furture perspective, like re-playablility.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#9 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

Pretty sweet! I Just wonder how it will be from a furture perspective, like re-playablility.

yeah i wonder to

~DART

#10 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

About the physics card... not true. Gpu's are powerful enough to handle both physics and video processing. Most new games are taking advantage of this so they can market their games to a wider variety (less rich) of people.

-Butt

Edited by King Of Butt Land, 08 October 2007 - 08:49 AM.

QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#11 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

They also said 512k memory and a 200mb hard drive was more than you'd ever need to run the latest games in the early 90s.

It's not that farfetched. The latest cutting edge computers stay in the same price range, and have stayed in the same range for the past 7 to 10 years. With a budget of 2500 dollars you can get a new high end gaming rig from any era. The price stays constant, the parts change. It's only been in the past few years that having a dedicated graphics card is mandatory to run the newest games.

Pretty soon (within the next 5-7 years) I see Physics processing units becoming more and more common as the price of technology goes down.

Games are programmed to look and play their best on high end machines. It is very rare that you can turn any new game to maximum graphic render settings and play without losing frame rate or shearing unless you have the newest high end machine. That's ultimately who the games are made for, but the ability to turn down the graphics settings expands the market to those with lower end machines.

Technology is hectic, yo.

But what do I know. I still play counter-strike.

Edited by Richomundo, 08 October 2007 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users