For the workshop bookcase.

37 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Not really too sure here, but my understanding is that anything posted on a public forum becomes part of the public domain and, as such, can be reproduced in any form with proper accreditation.

Not correct at all. Unless specifically stated by the author in the publication that the information is under General Public License or that any ownership is waived, the items posted on a public forum maintain the same rights of ownership as any other form of written publication. Whatever you post is the property of YOU to do with as you see fit. Any usage by outside parties requires the written consent of the author.

Even under General Public License information does not become "public domain" in the sense that anyone can reprint it in order to make a profit.

Public domain comprises the body of knowledge and innovation (especially creative works such as writing, art, music, and inventions) in relation to which no person or other legal entity can establish or maintain proprietary interests within a particular legal jurisdiction. This body of information and creativity is considered to be part of a common cultural and intellectual heritage, which, in general, anyone may use or exploit, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes. About 15 percent of all books are in the public domain, including 10 percent of all books that are still in print.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 October 2007 - 01:16 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#27 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but I recall reading somewhere the basic principle that if posted without specific claims to exclusive use, you could recreate it as long as it wasn't for profit. But as I said, I could be wrong.

#28 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

As I said, the panel would ask the authors of the write ups for clarification and, for what I thought was obvious, ask permission to use the material. It would be the polite thing to do.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#29 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

I happen to like this idea also, it would help establish us as being more official, and would help younger modders get into it more.

A printable .pdf document that could be downloaded would be nice. I also think that the mods chosen should be reviewed by a certain few (FA24 OMC CS cxwq and 2-3 others). The panel of awesome NERFers should ask the people who have written up their work to simplify it, make nice and clear pictures, and most importantly: EDIT THEM. We have to know what the hell they are saying...

If Forsaken Angel 24, One Man Clan, Captain-Slug, cxwq and a few others would join a panel and work searching this wonderful site for the basic and extravagant modifications, work together and make an Adobe Reader document (.pdf) for sale at one dollar or nothing at all, I think, wait I know that over 100 people would want it.

Lynx, that is a genuinely good idea, the only problem is, many modifications exist, but a good deal of them were created by people who don't visit this site anymore. Sometimes the judges might have to edit the modification write-ups themselves.

For the most part, I think you guys should leave this to OMC, he already said he's been doing this for awhile now, and you guys would get it for cheap because he makes his profits from volume.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#30 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

I could leave it to OMC, but I'd probably still type it up anyway, in case OMC was unable to continue or something.

Finsihed the Table of Contents. 7 pages. Methinks I might have to edit out some of the mods, so the book doesn't end up lasting 300 pages.
Nuckin' Futz

#31 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

300 pages wow i hope it isn't that long...Also a suggestion is to put simple mod first and harder ones in the back of the book or catagorize it alphabeticaly

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#32 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:09 AM

Nerffreak, go nuts if you want to, but there is a lot of behind the scenes negotiating that will go on in order to get it printed. All contributors need to be taken care of. I will be getting to this among other things whenever I get some time.
I hate you.

#33 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

What about more than mods. How about a general nerf guide. With tons of useful stuff. A list of all the guns known, pvc sizes with ID and OD, glue types, shit like that. Clan names, yearly wars, major war locations. Gun prices, good places to buy said guns, where to buy materials. Basically anything you could every need.

Edited by z80, 05 October 2007 - 07:37 PM.

#34 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Good idea z80 but I think that each piece of the complete NERF handbook would involve a homemade, modification, culture, and modification section which should all be compiled separately. This is just one piece of the puzzle but the ideas are endless and usually unlikely. One section at a time will take a while plus many things will change. What happens when NERF uses rechargeable air tanks (1-oo use mini 3-6 oz tanks of compressed air "it could happen"-me, right now), OMC makes a how to guide on machining for NERF, and FA24 makes another crazy awesome development like the abbb? The total guide is much harder to update than 3-4 different manageable ones.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#35 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

I was actually shooting for something similar to z80's idea. I will NOT cover homemades though, as I personally do not feel they have any place at a war. Except for Ompa's rifle, I have never seen anyone effectively use a homemade at a war.
I hate you.

#36 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

Wasn't Flaming Hilt known for using/showing off homemades at wars?

I'm probably wrong, but I'll still ask.

Anyway, OMC, not to get rude or anything, but how much of your book is done?
Nuckin' Futz

#37 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

Zero.

No time right now.
I hate you.

#38 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:07 PM

It is nice that you want to do THAT much work for the greater good of NERF. It will be a great resource, all 400 pages of it. Most of it will come from the forum, right? If a write-up is on another site, will you use it?

WOOT PROCRASTINATORS AND BUSY PEOPLE!!!

p.s.: I might won't be able to post a write up on my pump action nf that shoots 100 30-40 feet and is sold on ebay made for my friends and has all secret mods easy to execute mods.

AWESOME NITEFINDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users