The Complete Nerf Modification Handbook

For the workshop bookcase.

37 replies to this topic

#1 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

I've came upon this idea as something convenient I've wanted to do for a while, but never got around to.

Basically, it's a book themed after the better, more popular mods in the Modification Directory. It'd be a book with many of the mods in the directory, also with tips, hints, and suggestions. It's mainly so you don't have to come up to your computer every time you want to do a mod, and need to know what the next step is. I'd type it up, and have it available for download, so you can print it out yourself.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had a problem with this, or if they didn't want their mod in the book for Copyright reasons or something like that. I would put who did the mod, so credit isn't an issue. Also, I wouldn't sell this, so I wouldn't be making money off the NIC's mods.

Would anyone be interested?
Nuckin' Futz

#2 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Just PM the modder to see if it's okay, chances are that it would be okay. My computer is only like 10 feet away from me though...

#3 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

I would kill for one of those. I hate to always have to check on the computer when I mod my guns.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#4 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

Yup i think it would be great, just ask the modder and give them credit for the mods in the book.I also would kill for of those books just like Ubermensch said i hate to check computer when I mod my guns. :lol:

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#5 Tofu

Tofu

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

That would be nice because I'm always at my dads house and have a hard time getting on his computer. So yeah I think that would be a great idea.
I eat air restrictors for breakfast.

QUOTE(P.C. III @ Jan 17 2008, 12:19 PM) View Post

A great nf can beat a crummy xbow...

^BS^

#6 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

Funny to bring that up, it's something I've been working on, on and off actually, for a while now.
I hate you.

#7 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

You guys could just print the write-ups out, too. It just seems much easier...
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#8 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

Yah. Except no. The pictures are sometimes vital to the mod. Some of us don't have high-quality printers, and I find it hard to convince my dad to waste his ink. I think this is a great idea, I'd buy one.

#9 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

It does seem like a good idea, but I'm a computer freak. I'd probably rather come online and read it.

And think; Angel mods tend to be longer than others, yet he probably writes more mods than anyone. Say you have 50 mods, and 25 of them are Angel mods. Thats already a LOT of paper to print.
It sounds practical, but from my view it just isn't.
Sorry.
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#10 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

Would anyone buy one? Not for profit, but if I printed them, would a fee that covers the cost of the paper+ink suit you? I can calculate it later. Right now, I'm just wondering.
Nuckin' Futz

#11 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Its reasonable to make us pay for it since you spent time and cash on it. i think you should it sell for 5+ dollars and have it published and copyrighted.Also i bet you could make the book with pictures to help with it being more understandable.

Edited by dart, 01 October 2007 - 07:51 PM.

I went into the choir room today and told the teacher," I can ony sing base" she said," I can fix that" she gave me a prompt kick in the nuts; i've been singing soprano ever since.

~DART

#12 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

The book will definetely have pictures. Don't worry about that part. Anyone know how much a standard HP Printer Black/Colored Ink combo would cost?
Nuckin' Futz

#13 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Sounds cool.

Would it be only NH?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#14 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Probably, since a good amount of mods are on both NH and the HQ.

My biggest question is to FA24, to see if he minds if I go through the directory and compile them into one book, as he did all the work of making the directory.
Nuckin' Futz

#15 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

My advice would be to compile things into a Adobe .PDF formated file for downloading, as it allows for zooming in/out, high quality pictures and it's somewhat universal.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#16 Grenada

Grenada

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

One idea would be to compile the work of one modder like FA24, or of a few modders, and have that. Another idea would be to take easy mods, compile them in one book, and do the same for medium and hard.
If you Nerf in western washington, PM me

So you see a penguin walking down the street. Looks harmless right, so you keep on walking past him. You turn around to seem him walk away, only to find yourself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.

#17 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

How am I going to make a buck off you mother fuckers if you are trying to figure out a way to distribute the combined works? Jesus...
I hate you.

#18 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

A printable .pdf document that could be downloaded would be nice. I also think that the mods chosen should be reviewed by a certain few (FA24 OMC CS cxwq and 2-3 others). The panel of awesome NERFers should ask the people who have written up their work to simplify it, make nice and clear pictures, and most importantly: EDIT THEM. We have to know what the hell they are saying...

If Forsaken Angel 24, One Man Clan, Captain-Slug, cxwq and a few others would join a panel and work searching this wonderful site for the basic and extravagant modifications, work together and make an Adobe Reader document (.pdf) for sale at one dollar or nothing at all, I think, wait I know that over 100 people would want it.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#19 dart

dart

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

1 dollar for all that work? i think it should be at lest 3 dollars or more...but then again thats just me :rolleyes:

~DART

#20 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

Well the idea was to not be a greedy bastard and get paid 5-10 bucks each or whatever. The proposed panel has yet to except plus this is probably just a wet dream thread...
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

My advice would be to compile things into a Adobe .PDF formated file for downloading, as it allows for zooming in/out, high quality pictures and it's somewhat universal.

And not having a specified DPI on the document makes the printer very happy too. (A friend of mine owns a print shop)
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#22 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:39 AM

I work at a print shop myself. It's a relatively easy thing to do, it just takes time to compile everything and edit it all.
I hate you.

#23 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

How am I going to make a buck off you mother fuckers if you are trying to figure out a way to distribute the combined works? Jesus...

You better watch yourself or you might turn into ItallionStallion.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#24 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

I don't charge ridiculous prices. My sales and profit comes from the volume, not selling $10 guns for $45.
I hate you.

#25 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

Not really too sure here, but my understanding is that anything posted on a public forum becomes part of the public domain and, as such, can be reproduced in any form with proper accreditation. In the event that someone doesn't want their work there, I think they can ask to have it removed and the creator is somewhat obliged to remove it. Again, not too sure, but that's what I recall from when I looked into this for something similar.

It's a good idea, but I think the creator should make it electronically (PDF sounds best), and then if people want to, they can print it themselves.

Edited by RAMBO, 02 October 2007 - 01:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users