Clip Tek Internals

The dirt on the new CLip Tek

19 replies to this topic

#1 Trogdorian Grey

Trogdorian Grey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

I hadn't heard much about this gun when I saw it, so I thought I'd pick one up to tinker with. Here's the thing stock, with a dollar bill for size comparison.
Posted Image
Note that the handle is this tiny little thing that's uncomfortable as hell. Also, the superficial barrel is ugly looking, and has a scored line down the middle, so you can either cut it down there, or just pull it off when you crack it open like I will. Overall it's a bit largish for a pistol, and more than likely will not make for a good sidearm.
Posted Image
This uses the same clips as the Rapid Fire Rifle, which hold the orange shells used by the afformentioned as well as the double shot, however, the shells for this (I'm not shure if it's the same case with the RFR) are tapered in the middle (the right shell) instead of an abrupt step in size (the left). While I found you CAN use the older shells, they sometimes jam, while the newer ones work fine. Each shell comes with a built-in air restrictor, so take a dremmel, drill out the peg, and pry off the backs to pop them out, then glue them back together. The darts it comes with are TERRIBLE. Not a single suction cup was glued on straight, and they often cause jaming when the suction cup tips drag against the edge of the magazine. An easy fix for this is to use Dart Tag darts (Something the Longhot can't do). Using stock darts this thing gets 30' flat out of the box.

Posted Image
Now take out all the screws and see what makes it tick. The first thing I noticed sitting in the NiteFinder sized plunger tube was one of the most pathetic plunger springs I've ever seen in a nerf gun. I imediately slapped in a spare spring I had lying around to fix this (edit: it now has a NiteFinder spring). The plunger seal was also prety loose, so I replaced the o-ring and e-taped it. THe little blue piece that connects it to the shell reciever connects by a loose o-ring too, so e-taping that wouldn't hurt. As for the big blue cylinder going through the entire body of the gun, I thoguht about cutting it down past the slide pin, but decided against it, as the part that extends out the back of the casing whle being cocked probrably helps stabilize it and makes cocking easier.

Posted Image
This is just primed white right now, all the coloring was done digitaly in photoshop. I'm debating on leaving the slide and clip black or painting it the beige color. Modifications consist of shortening the barrel, SSPB integration, swapping the handle with the Longshot front gun, blocking about an extra inch of the inside of the slide catch (if you have one, look at the inside of the slide. It comes about that far before it catches the pin. This way it brings the plunger out to the last tooth.) and upgrading to a NiteFInder spring. Ranges using dart taggers are about 45ish. I think I can pull more out of it if I tinker with the shells a bit.

After messing around with this gun a bit now. I think it should be considered on a similar class as the Maverick. SLIGHTLY less ROF longer to load (unless you have a full clip ready), but with a better range (modified). Something else that came to mind doing the pocket blast integration was that you could also fit a NiteFinder light in that cavity in the foregrip and run the wiring (with extra wire to reach) to the trigger.

Edited by Trogdorian Grey, 27 September 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#2 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Wow, I can see a lot of space for improvemant on this gun.
If Nitefinders can reach 80' when well modified, and if this has the plunger of a Nitefinder....
I don't like the shells though.
How possible does it look to modify it so the shells aren't needed?
I know that that might be hard because normal darts would not fit in the mag. but I'm just curious.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#3 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:26 AM

Man now I really, really, want one of these things. But I need to finish my other mods before I go and pick up any more guns. <_<
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#4 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

Looks good, care to let us know where you found it?

#5 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

Me too, I've been looking for one of those things for like 3 weeks now.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#6 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

If Nitefinders can reach 80' when well modified, and if this has the plunger of a Nitefinder....

Oh don't be so silly nitefinders do not get 80'. Also this gun's potential has as much as the rfr had which is not very much. Small plunger tube combined with terrible airflow means don't expect much from the range department.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#7 Trogdorian Grey

Trogdorian Grey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

They're selling these for $12.99 at the KB Toys in Winston-Salem, NC.

Does anyone know where they sell extra clips and shells? Both KB and TRU around here only sell the dart taggers.

Also, the shells seem pivotal to the workings of this gun, so I highly doubt you could mod it to use streamline clips.

In addition, it may have just been mine, but the first clip I fired only went about five feet, after that, it worked fine. Might have just loaded it wrong, or perhaps something needs to be broken in once opened. I'd like to hear what other people experienced getting one of these.

#8 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

I have an extra clip and some shells I can sell you, PM me for details.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#9 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

on buzzbee.com they have a 2 clip and probably 12 shells and darts combo pack. I bet thats like 15 ducks.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#10 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

Ah, fifteen ducks. Quack.

On Topic: I'd rather get an RFR. That thing is ugly.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#11 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

I've been looking at this gun for a while now and it looks far better better than the Rapid-Fire Rifle or Double Shot. I'd rather carry around this than either of the latter guns, it's much smaller and has a less fruity paint-job. It looks like the gun has just enough space in the front to integrate an SSPB or something to that manner.

Edited by Blasphemy, 26 September 2007 - 08:37 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#12 Trogdorian Grey

Trogdorian Grey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

Actualy, there's an empty space right next to the clip release button that would accomodate a pocket blast integration quite nicely. I think I'll toss that into this mod as well by the time it's done. Thanks for the idea.

#13 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

With the paintjob that looks like it'll be pretty sick. Nice clean handle replacement too, I didn't even notice it at first.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#14 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

Thats a clean mod you did there. I like the paint job you have on it right now.

Looks like you had the same idea for the handel as I did. :P
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#15 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:25 PM

He didn't mod or paint it yet, he said he did it digitaly(sp?)
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#16 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

He didn't mod or paint it yet, he said he did it digitaly(sp?)

I know he didn't paint it and I never said he did.

HE DID MOD IT. Learn how to read the whole post before you jump to conclusions.

Sorry to bark at you but I am sick of "forum skimmers" in general.

#17 Grenada

Grenada

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Does this thing have the same bolt as the RFR, with the two o-rings? If so, put some e-tape over the o-rings before they break. That's what happened to my rfr, and now it's useless.
If you Nerf in western washington, PM me

So you see a penguin walking down the street. Looks harmless right, so you keep on walking past him. You turn around to seem him walk away, only to find yourself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.

#18 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

When i said mod i meant the lsfg handle, and pocket blast intergration.

Edited by angrscottishkid, 29 September 2007 - 08:24 PM.

In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#19 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

He did integrate the handle, and put in the pocket blast. It was just really well done. If you look really hard you can see some glue.

Handle trasplants are hard as shit to do, congratulations. This is probably one of the cleanest mods I've ever seen.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#20 Yakkers

Yakkers

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Sorry that this is a little dated (about a month, not too bad) but I've got some questions about the gun. Can you take a picture of the bolt open? I'd also love to know if the shells just kind of fall out or if something launches then out. And also, do the shells go completely sideways or launch more towards the wielder like the Mustang Six did?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users